The NOT Too Early 2018 NFL Draft Thread

turtle28

2 hours ago, mike23md said:

I hope not. Mayfield is another Bradford. A couple guys I like are the QB from Northwestern and N.C. State. Cannot remember their names. 

It’s Clayton Thorson/Northwestern and Ryan Finley/NC State. 

I like Clayton Thorson as well. Performed very well with less talent compared to the higher ranked QB’S. 

17 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Really set a wide range there. From the GOAT to Nick Foles as potential targets.

LOL. I expect all of them will be available next year when Kirk signs with the Pats.  

All also fit the mold of a quarterback Gruden would feel good about- pocket passer etc.. I haven't watched all the college games, but there are only 2 guys I've watched that strike me as can't miss quarterback prospects- both from SOCal Darnold and Rosen and I think they go top five of the draft. I just cant even contemplate us trading up into number 2 position again to get a quarterback. 

There are a could guys who with a year or two of development have a chance to be starters- Thorson, and Ferguson from Memphis. I havent rreally watched Allen enough- only saw highlights.

This could be a weaker QB class, but is loaded with OL and DL talent. 

2 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

It’s Clayton Thorson/Northwestern and Ryan Finley/NC State. 

I like Clayton Thorson as well. Performed very well with less talent compared to the higher ranked QB’S. 

That’s my guy so far. I like Rosen’s talent on tape and I also like Mayfield more then most though I’m scared he thinks he can run in this league. Like he reminds me a lot of Russell Wilson on film minus some recievers just running wide open sometimes. But Thorson has been the one jumping of my screen the most. I see top 10 when I watch this guy put passes through windows in zone defenses. I know he doesn’t have the squad around him but I like his mechanics a lot and I think he’s the best QB I’ve watched this year. Allen just reminds me of Paxton Lynch in he’s just not ready for the NFL and and I’m not a huge Darnold fan. I’m not mentioning Jackson because there’s no way that is a selection Jay is signing off on!

3 hours ago, mike23md said:

If I had to take the chance on an OG, ILB, or RB at 17, then I would have to take the OG, then ILB, then RB. 

And I would be completely on board with that if the talent is equivalent across the board. If the best player available is a RB, so be it. I just think we can wait until the second round to get a perfectly serviceable back, and instead get a bigger need in the first.

3 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

I believe they trade for a QB- Brady, Rivers, McCarron, Alex Smith, Nick Foles type guy and then draft a big pocket passer to develop.Brady and Rivers would be marketing gold- and hey isn't that what the Redskins are all about?  

McCarron will be a RFA next offseason, so it might depend on what price the Bengals put on him. The fact the Browns tried to trade for him perhaps means that he'll get a higher value tag than we perhaps want.

Given that the Patriots traded away Brissett and Garoppolo, I don't see any way they trade Brady to anyone. The only other QB they have on the roster is Brian Hoyer.

The Chargers would need to trade Rivers by the 3rd day of the league year as a $5M guaranteed roster bonus comes due at that point (along with $9M in dead cap space once they trade him due to signing bonus monies).

Nick Foles has a $3M fully guaranteed roster bonus (was given at signing), along with $2.4M in remaining signing bonus monies. While the Eagles could eat that, I think they'd rather keep a relative cheap backup QB. Also, Foles contract auto-voids early in 2019 (23rd (?!) day of 2019 league year).

Alex Smith, on the other hand, is a possibility. He would need to be cut by the Chiefs, but that is very likely to happen.

2 hours ago, Woz said:

McCarron will be a RFA next offseason, so it might depend on what price the Bengals put on him. The fact the Browns tried to trade for him perhaps means that he'll get a higher value tag than we perhaps want.

Given that the Patriots traded away Brissett and Garoppolo, I don't see any way they trade Brady to anyone. The only other QB they have on the roster is Brian Hoyer.

The Chargers would need to trade Rivers by the 3rd day of the league year as a $5M guaranteed roster bonus comes due at that point (along with $9M in dead cap space once they trade him due to signing bonus monies).

Nick Foles has a $3M fully guaranteed roster bonus (was given at signing), along with $2.4M in remaining signing bonus monies. While the Eagles could eat that, I think they'd rather keep a relative cheap backup QB. Also, Foles contract auto-voids early in 2019 (23rd (?!) day of 2019 league year).

Alex Smith, on the other hand, is a possibility. He would need to be cut by the Chiefs, but that is very likely to happen.

Drew Brees is also a free agent, and the Giants may be moving on from Eli Manning. Despite all the other options, I still hope we keep Cousins for continuity and his age/talent/upside combination. 

Me personally, I'm paying attention to the QBs in the draft but I'm not going to entertain the skins taking one high in the draft or signing/trading for ne until I know Kirk is gone. As of right now, put me in the same category as you Woz. Take BPA in a position we need in round 1. For me that's either DL, ILB, RB, OG or WR; whichever is best available. Then consider the other positions from rounds 2 on.

Just now, turtle28 said:

Drew Brees is also a free agent, and the Giants may be moving on from Eli Manning. Despite all the other options, I still hope we keep Cousins for continuity and his age/talent/upside combination.

I don't see how the Redskins could let Cousins walk but pay Brees. I also don't see Brees coming to Washington. He's either retiring or sticking with New Orleans.

On November 6, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Woz said:

No, I don't. I also don't like spending a first round pick on a RB as I feel that value proposition is a waste of draft potential.

Depends on the player. If it's clearly bpa then it'd be worth taking a RB in round 1. Last year for example Jonathan Allen and even Ruben Foster were just as good of prospects as Dalvin Cook so, in that case passing on Cook was totally justified. I just don't think there is a RB who's clearly going to be a better prospect than the ILBs, DL or WRs who will be available. Possibly Chubb is a better prospect that those in the other positions but I think he's likely to be equal to them at best. OG is likely to be a position we take after round 1 no matter what IMO, especially if we spend $ to re-sign Spencer Long long term. 

7 hours ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Things could change as the season goes on. But I really feel like the pick needs to either be LG or DT in the first. Only way we go outside of the trenches is for an athletic linebacker or a Derwin James or Barkley type prospect falling to us. 

This team cannot afford to spend another first round pick on a guard. You can find talented guards all over the draft. You can also get good NT after the first.

We should be looking at QB based on what happens with Kirk. Outside of that WR, ILB, DE and Center. I'd also like to get a RB but we could probably get a really good one in the second. 

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

This team cannot afford to spend another first round pick on a guard.

Pick 16 or 17 is a perfectly decent place to take a guard. Keep in mind the Cowboys spent multiple first round picks on offensive linemen, and that has seemingly worked out for them.

31 minutes ago, Woz said:

Pick 16 or 17 is a perfectly decent place to take a guard. Keep in mind the Cowboys spent multiple first round picks on offensive linemen, and that has seemingly worked out for them.

I wouldn't do it. That's just me. 

Archived