The NOT Too Early 2018 NFL Draft Thread

turtle28

On 11/7/2017 at 5:49 PM, turtle28 said:

Depends on the player. If it's clearly bpa then it'd be worth taking a RB in round 1. Last year for example Jonathan Allen and even Ruben Foster were just as good of prospects as Dalvin Cook so, in that case passing on Cook was totally justified. I just don't think there is a RB who's clearly going to be a better prospect than the ILBs, DL or WRs who will be available. Possibly Chubb is a better prospect that those in the other positions but I think he's likely to be equal to them at best. OG is likely to be a position we take after round 1 no matter what IMO, especially if we spend $ to re-sign Spencer Long long term. 

Um, Allen was considered a top 5 prospect but because of the shoulders teams passed. Cook was mid teens. Ruben Foster had some character issues. Allen was the best pick this team could have done. Especially considering we had Kelley who had shown some promise. 

22 hours ago, mike23md said:

Um, Allen was considered a top 5 prospect but because of the shoulders teams passed. Cook was mid teens. Ruben Foster had some character issues. Allen was the best pick this team could have done. Especially considering we had Kelley who had shown some promise. 

Which was exactly my point! 

9 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Which was exactly my point! 

No, you stated that Ruben Foster and Jon Allen were just as good of prospects as Dalvin Cook. That is saying, that Ruben Foster and Dalvin Cook could have been a top 5 pick, which is not true. Of those three Jon Allen was the ONLY one considered a top 5 pick and Cook was not even the best RB in the draft. Fournette was. Cook was not even selected until the 2nd round. Foster was picked by San Fran after they traded up to get him at pick. I just don't think you can say that Cook and Foster were just as good of prospects as Allen. 

Also, until the combine, Nick Chubb is considered a 2nd round pick at this point. I think his injury history is hurting him. 

5 minutes ago, mike23md said:

No, you stated that Ruben Foster and Jon Allen were just as good of prospects as Dalvin Cook. That is saying, that Ruben Foster and Dalvin Cook could have been a top 5 pick, which is not true. Of those three Jon Allen was the ONLY one considered a top 5 pick and Cook was not even the best RB in the draft. Fournette was. Cook was not even selected until the 2nd round. Foster was picked by San Fran after they traded up to get him at pick. I just don't think you can say that Cook and Foster were just as good of prospects as Allen. 

Also, until the combine, Nick Chubb is considered a 2nd round pick at this point. I think his injury history is hurting him. 

You’re reading way too much into a few words. I’m sorry you wasted two paragraphs of typing on something where I 100% agree with you.

I was trying to say that Allen was the best prospect and he and Foster were better prospects than Cook and so it made sense to take them over a RB. I just chose to use different words.

On 11/4/2017 at 2:56 PM, lavar703 said:

Why isn't Kerryon Johnson getting more pub? The kid is a beast. Stidham too. 

I like what I see in Kerryon Johnson against Georgia #1 ranked team.  Don’t know why this kid not getting much publicity like you said. I know he’s eligible to enter the draft next year but he’s only a junior, he can stay at Auburn for one more season, could be the reason. Reminds me of Leveon Bell. 

3 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I like what I see in Kerryon Johnson against Georgia #1 ranked team.  Don’t know why this kid not getting much publicity like you said. I know he’s eligible to enter the draft next year but he’s only a junior, he can stay at Auburn for one more season, could be the reason. Reminds me of Leveon Bell. 

167 yards against the #1 team in the nation. He's an animal. Nasty stiff arms, runs people over, great vision. I bet come draft time he'll jump way up the boards. 

About when (if at all) do they take a TE? They've had some issues keeping them healthy over the last few years. Paul really hasn't done much and is probably gone next year; Sprinkles an unknown so far and how long can Davis keep playing at this level? Nothing against him but he's not going to be your guy for the future.

I like Mike Gesicki, Penn State in the 4th if he's there (is the 3rd a reach?). Thoughts?

Need to find a back in this draft. No need to reach, but we NEED to find a guy who can carry the rock consistently. Haven't fully given up on Samaje Perine, but he is just too slow for my likings. I also find it bizarre how heavy both of our every down RBs are. 235+ LBs is far too heavy for guys without much athleticism at that position. Yes they can break arm tackles and can fall forward for 2-3 more yards, but the lack of speed crutches the run game.

16 hours ago, SeattleSkin said:

About when (if at all) do they take a TE? They've had some issues keeping them healthy over the last few years. Paul really hasn't done much and is probably gone next year; Sprinkles an unknown so far and how long can Davis keep playing at this level? Nothing against him but he's not going to be your guy for the future.

I like Mike Gesicki, Penn State in the 4th if he's there (is the 3rd a reach?). Thoughts?

I’d love to take a guy like Gesicki but the problem is roster spots. Perhaps if Paul isn’t back they’d draft a TE in the mid rounds.

There are a lot of good running backs who are going to be in this draft. Beyond the guys we’ve discussed like Barkley, Guice, Chubb and Michele. There are other guys like Kerryon Johnson (Auburn), Mike Webber (Ohio State) Damien Harris (Bama) Akrum Wadley (Iowa), L.J. Scott (Mich St), Bryce Love (Stanford), Ronald Jones (USC), Royce Freeman (Oregon), Justin Jackson (Northwestern) who’ve also looked good this year. I think we definitely should take a rb, at what point depends on who’s available in early rounds when we are selecting. We should take BPA in any position we need in the first 4 rounds and then just take BPA period in the final 3 rounds.

Archived