The NOT Too Early 2018 NFL Draft Thread

turtle28

18 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

no mans land- kind of how the wizards were for years. Look at the 76ers, the astros heck even the rams- suck and get the best picks unless you are the celtics and Pats- smarter than everybody else. And nobody gonna mistakenly say that about DanSkins

On this, I disagree. There's talent in the middle of the 1st: my completely-non-partisan pick of Micah Kiser, 1st or 2nd best receiver, RB (if we must).

7 hours ago, Woz said:

That might require a new coach.

Which part? Drafting best RB available or Actually running the ball?

I look back and think... What if...

We drafted Alvin Kamara in the second instead of Ryan Anderson...

I think that is the dimension of the offense that is missing. IMO, its not that Gruden doesnt call run plays or doesnt want to run the ball, its that no running back on our roster has given him a reason to have faith in our run game. 

Use the run to set up the pass. I think its a miracle our pass offense is as good as it is, when our run game is so trashy.

Now im not trying to knock our best RB, Chris Thompson. However he is not a 3-down back. He cannot consistently effectively run between the tackles. 

IMO, draft our version of Ezekiel Elliott, Dalvin Cook (prior to ACL tear) or Leonard Fournette and watch what it does for our offense.

Cant consistently trot out 2 RBs that should be playing fullback and a scatback who excels at screens, draws and catching the ball. 

12 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Which part? Drafting best RB available or Actually running the ball?

Actually running the ball, or at least in sensible situations. 3rd & 1 on a 1st down we must have? Oh sure, let's run our scat back right into the teeth of the defensive line and leave our bigger, bruising RB on the side line. Inside the 5 yard line? Sure, we'll pass four separate times before finally running ... with a QB keeper.

If Gruden's the coach, spending a high pick on a running back is silly.

13 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Cant consistently trot out 2 RBs that should be playing fullback and a scatback who excels at screens, draws and catching the ball. 

No, our fullback is Ryan Anderson. So, in essence, we DID draft a RB high! O.o:D

Idk if any RBs are gonna be worth our pick we might have to wait for the second round. Guice is intriguing tho I’d probably bite. I really hope we don’t end up signing Jeremy Hill and relying on him as a lead back. I really hope we just go bpa. 

1 hour ago, resign#8 said:

Idk if any RBs are gonna be worth our pick we might have to wait for the second round. Guice is intriguing tho I’d probably bite. I really hope we don’t end up signing Jeremy Hill and relying on him as a lead back. I really hope we just go bpa. 

If they don't "re-sign" Kirk you're going to have one of the oddest usernames lol

On 10/22/2017 at 7:34 PM, MKnight82 said:

Sorry sorry don’t mean to spam the thread but I’d also like to add that if we retain Zach Brown upgrading Fosters spot is a possibility but isn’t a first round need IMO.

BPA. If ILB is the BPA in round 1, we’d foolish to pass on that player even in Brown is retained. Getting 2 pro bowl caliber ILBs would help take our defense to the next level. 

On 10/22/2017 at 7:26 PM, MKnight82 said:

Adams went 5th last year.  I also think James is kind of like jalen Ramsey where he could possibly play CB in the nfl.

Just wondering, when you were scouting Ed Reed, Troy Polumalu and Sean Taylor did you think they should play CB in the nfl as well?

There’s a big difference between a DB like Ramsey who played both CB and FS in college at a high level becoming a full time CB once he got to the Nfl and projecting a full time safety to switch to corner once he gets to the nfl. More often than not, the best thing for college prospects to do is to play at the same position in the pros that they played in college unless they are to slow or aren’t athletic enough to play their college position in the pros. This is why many college corners transition to safety - like Deshazor Everret did - or when OTs move inside to OG like Scherff.

If the Colts want a CB who has played some safety as well - like Ramsey did at FS - they should take Minkah Fitzpatrick from Alabama but if I were them I’d take OLB/DE Harold Landry from BC or LT Mike McGlichey from ND. The two things the colts have struggled with the most are protecting Andrew Luck and getting pressure on the qb since Robert Matthis retired.

6 hours ago, resign#8 said:

I agree with going BPA as long it isn’t another OLB, OG or CB in round 1. I agree with your thought on Darius Guice, that’s the one RB that could be available for us in round 1 that I wouldn’t pass on besides Barkley who we all know won’t be there. 

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Just wondering, when you were scouting Ed Reed, Troy Polumalu and Sean Taylor did you think they should play CB in the nfl as well?

There’s a big difference between a DB like Ramsey who played both CB and FS in college at a high level becoming a full time CB once he got to the Nfl and projecting a full time safety to switch to corner once he gets to the nfl. More often than not, the best thing for college prospects to do is to play at the same position in the pros that they played in college unless they are to slow or aren’t athletic enough to play their college position in the pros. This is why many college corners transition to safety - like Deshazor Everret did - or when OTs move inside to OG like Scherff.

If the Colts want a CB who has played some safety as well - like Ramsey did at FS - they should take Minkah Fitzpatrick from Alabama but if I were them I’d take OLB/DE Harold Landry from BC or LT Mike McGlichey from ND. The two things the colts have struggled with the most are protecting Andrew Luck and getting pressure on the qb since Robert Matthis retired.

You took my post out of context and didn't read the whole conversation I had with @Woz .  He asked why James (a safety) was being talked about as a potential top 5 pick.  I responded that its because he has the athleticism to play both CB and S in the NFL.  

On 11/15/2017 at 12:06 PM, MKnight82 said:

You took my post out of context and didn't read the whole conversation I had with @Woz .  He asked why James (a safety) was being talked about as a potential top 5 pick.  I responded that its because he has the athleticism to play both CB and S in the NFL.  

Yeah, I did a bit. I thought you were saying he’d switch to CB in the pros which, I don’t think he will. Unlike Ramsey he didn’t play both at FSU. 

The reason James is being discussed as a top 5 pick is obvious because like Berry and Adams last year they are the best S prospects to come out of the draft since Sean Taylor. So naturally they are all some of the best players in their draft classes and if your one of the best players in your draft class, you go high in your draft. Positional value sometimes gets thrown out the window for an elite talent that has a good opportunity to be a perennial pro bowler and All-Pro.

It’s the same reason BRandon Scherff went #5. It’s not the selection I would have made but he has lived up to his draft selection. 

Archived