The NOT Too Early 2018 NFL Draft Thread

turtle28

11 hours ago, SeattleSkin said:

Based on what Walters has to say I'd be more inclined to a 4th rounder and nothing higher than the 3rd round. These players have their pluses and minuses so review them and tell me what you think. A couple have injuries so while they may return to 100% with Washington's history of injured TE's I'd shy away from them. Some are underclassmen so maybe they don't come out this year.

link: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018TE.php

Hurst is my target he’s a really good locker and he actually runs nice routes. But all this involves trading Jordan Reed. I do like Sprinkle as well. But im looking a year or two down the line. As much as I want a beast ILB I think Harvey Clemons is actually going to be a valuble piece next season. He wouldn’t stop me from taking a stud early but that’s why I wouldn’t mind adding picks for Reed and getting young and athletic at TE

1 hour ago, New Era Skins said:

Excited to watch Kerryon Johnson against Bama. 

@lavar703 14 attempts, 55 yards in the first half. Johnson looked good. Da’Ron Payne still looked like Snacks, Jr. In the middle of the Bama DL though. If he fell to us, it would make our DL a strength for the foreseeable future. 

On 11/25/2017 at 6:09 PM, lavar703 said:

And Kerryon goes over 100 yards for the 8th straight game. He's the real deal. Reminds me so much of Leveon Bell. Same stutter style. 

What's his injury history look like? I think I heard them mention he was injured going in, and was hurt during. 

On 11/25/2017 at 6:09 PM, lavar703 said:

And Kerryon goes over 100 yards for the 8th straight game. He's the real deal. Reminds me so much of Leveon Bell. Same stutter style. 

4th straight, 8 in total, but still pretty damn good games.

2 hours ago, SeattleSkin said:

Kerryon Johnson - An underclassman that probably should wait till 2019. Right now a mid-round projection and I'm not sure that he was a starter till this season. He could really move his stock up if he waits a year. 

Oddly enough there is this blurb from Roto on Johnson today, quite different than how you feel about him.

In a scouting report on the Iron Bowl, NFL.com draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah says he believes there are shades of Steelers RB Le'Veon Bell in Auburn junior RB Kerryon Johnson.

That's high praise. Jeremiah said that Johnson showed he was a complete back in the win over Alabama, and even showed the ability to pass-block outside of one slip-up. "I think he's one of the four best running backs in college football with Penn State's Saquon Barkley, LSU's Derrius Guice, and USC's Ronald Jones," Jeremiah says. "Those are the best RBs I've seen this fall." If Johnson does decide to forego his final year of eligiblity, he's firmly planted himself in the first-round discussion.

13 hours ago, SeattleSkin said:

Kerryon Johnson - An underclassman that probably should wait till 2019. Right now a mid-round projection and I'm not sure that he was a starter till this season. He could really move his stock up if he waits a year. 

He should enter the draft. If you've been nicked up a couple times during one good year and had good games against top teams, you should enter the draft. 

He's a classic draft riser top 50 pick. Should leave school, even if its enticing to stay with the QB he has. 

On 11/19/2017 at 9:11 PM, SeattleSkin said:

An old article from May that stuck with me for some unknown reason concerning RB's drafted in the top 5 overall picks since 2000. Those teams have averaged almost 5 more wins in the season they drafted the RB than the previous season. Well maybe just some kind of statistical oddity but the Jags @ 7 - 3 so far after finishing 3 - 13 in 2016. I'm willing to wager that they'll get at least 1 more win by the end of 2017.

link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000806850/article/drafting-topfive-rbs-nets-teams-at-least-4-more-wins

Well, that's nice that they had a rebound the following year.

Of course, that could just be a reversion to the mean. In year two, only Tomlinson's Chargers and Benson's Bears improved on their previous record (Lewis didn't play in 02). The others saw the team's fortunes plunge by 7 games (Cadillac), 3 games (Brown and Bush), break even (McFadden), or was dealt (Richardson after two games in year 2).

As far as I can tell, only Tomlinson and McFadden (of all people) was re-signed after their rookie contract was up (remember, prior to 2011, rookie first round deals could be six years long).

So, if you can draft a Tomlinson, draft a Tomlinson. Otherwise, skip the top of the draft RBs. You can get perfectly good value at RB later on.

On 11/25/2017 at 5:14 PM, turtle28 said:

Not sure where DJ Moore will be projected to be drafted but we’d be foolish to pass on him also. What he’s done with 4 or 5 different Qbs throwing him the ball this year is nothing short of miraculous.

DJ Moore will be a dude in the NFL. He reminds me of Pierre Garçon with a bit more explosiveness. Tough receiver with great hands. Had a great year with a bevy of QBs on a bad Maryland team. I’d definitely use a 4th/5th on a guy like him. 

Archived