Do you even prep bro?

Totty

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It can be taken to an absurd extreme, but yeah, I’ve never understood why preparing for anything was considered odd.

I don’t think most people see “regular” preppers, folks who have a few guns and a small cache of ammo , a bunch of dried/canned food, and the basic essentials you’d need to ride out a once in a lifetime type storm/disaster as all that odd. Maybe just a little. Some of the Doomsday Prepper folks seem pretty damn reasonable aside from what they spice up for television. 

it’s just that the people who are the one in a million “worms will grow from the stalks of corn and infiltrate people’s eyes forcing them to turn against fellow man, plus all the worlds water will turn to acid plus they’ll go for the armies first to get the tanks” folks they find for TV and the internet are just more entertaining

I bought 5lbs of beans today.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

On 18/03/2020 at 8:35 PM, Calvert28 said:

Had a officer tell me one time he definitely stocks up on guns. Some other people may stock up on lots of food or water and other essentials but not him. That way if s*** goes south he doesn't need to stock up on that he just has to find out who did. 

This is a bad officer.  This is how a pandemic turns into a crisis, when law enforcement have these sort of ideas about society.  When law enforcement officers fundamentally believe that they have power over the citizens they're supposed to protect...*because* they have a gun.

On 18/03/2020 at 8:55 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Other prep stuff.... you’ve unleashed the beast lol 

1. fire extinguishers 

6. Reliable transportation 

7. maps in vehicles (actual maps, not just GPS/cell phone)

8. Gas tank half full at a minimum at all times

9. Spare keys

13. exterior lights.  Your house should have lighting around all entrances, all the time.

These are just like...basic preparation items.  I delete a lot of the other items that seemed dumb of overly aggressive.  But if you don't have something resembling this sort of preparation plan...you're slacking hard.  It's not even hard to do.  You could achieve these things in like...30 minutes maybe in "normal times"?

People act like this pandemic is a novel idea.  It's a novel pandemic...but the idea of being prepared, is old and long-standing.  It means being prepared not for a pandemic per se...but here, it's most likely for a forest fire evacuation.  This whole thing has just been super enlightening about how unprepared everyone from the average citizen to the government to the forces that at are supposed to react to crises like these are.  Just a total lack of "prep" from everyone really.

I've always believed in being prepared to isolate for at least a month or two.  I'd easily have been able to survive that before **** hit the fan here.  But i grabbed a bit of extra stuff last week, just to be extra prepared.  I could probably hold out for 6 months now.

But i didn't turn to the gun.  If things deteriorate the point the gun becomes the only currency that matters...**** this world.  Somebody drop a nuke on it.

9 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It can be taken to an absurd extreme, but yeah, I’ve never understood why preparing for anything was considered odd.

Most people don't understand it until they've been through a disaster. I didn't get onboard until after I went through four hurricanes in one season and didn't have power for 17 days after one of them.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Most people don't understand it until they've been through a disaster. I didn't get onboard until after I went through four hurricanes in one season and didn't have power for 17 days after one of them.

There's kind of where I am right now.  So far it's life as usual minus going to work, or out much at all for that matter.  

It got me thinking about what kind of stuff we face in Ohio.  No hurricanes, but really bad storms, the occasional tornado.  Lots of flooding where I am asking the Ohio River.  Maybe an earthquake.  (Potentially) 

Because of this virus, I aim to be ready for all of these.  

30 minutes ago, Totty said:

There's kind of where I am right now.  So far it's life as usual minus going to work, or out much at all for that matter.  

It got me thinking about what kind of stuff we face in Ohio.  No hurricanes, but really bad storms, the occasional tornado.  Lots of flooding where I am asking the Ohio River.  Maybe an earthquake.  (Potentially) 

Because of this virus, I aim to be ready for all of these.  

A raiders fan... in Ohio?  How are you not a Carp?

15 minutes ago, Totty said:

What's a Carp?  Lol and everyone in my family was a Steelers fan growing up, I had to be different.  

The Columbus Carp, the fictional team that is created when the Browns and Bengals merge their rosters to actually be competitive with the rest of the league.

It’s been a running joke between the two fan bases here for years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The Columbus Carp, the fictional team that is created when the Browns and Bengals merge their rosters to actually be competitive with the rest of the league.

It’s been a running joke between the two fan bases here for years.

😂 it may just come to that.  I'm down below Youngstown.  Steubenville actually.  

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 2:53 AM, Tugboat said:

But i didn't turn to the gun.  If things deteriorate the point the gun becomes the only currency that matters...**** this world.  Somebody drop a nuke on it.

Im in middle of a deer sanctuary. Where a dozen are in my yard at any time of day or night. 1000s of geese and hordes of duck flock to the fields, ponds and creeks around me. Squirrel and rabbits everywhere.

If guns are a bad idea to you. That just leaves more to put on the table for the rest of us.

Plus. Im from South America. If you have a dog. I now know I can come for it safely. tenor.gif

On 3/18/2020 at 8:48 PM, Totty said:

Crazy times folks.  I am currently sitting at home on a 14 day quarantine from work.  As I sit here I am thinking of all the things I can get done.  Home projects, finally getting to organizing the garage.  Cleaning out the vehicles.  ETC.  There is only so much to do at the house before you go nuts.  

Which got me thinking.  With all the panic about toilet paper, or non-perishable foods.  The necessities of a normal home life.  What are the essentials at your house?  Do you prep?  Do you keep stuff on hand in the basement or maybe have a deep freeze to keep perishables from spoiling?  Do you keep ammo?  What rounds do you find to be the best?  I have a ton of questions because I think after this it may be a good idea to keep just a little more on hand.  

Not a panic topic by any means, just and informational tip or idea sharing thread to help novices like myself.  

5 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Im in middle of a deer sanctuary. Where a dozen are in my yard at any time of day or night. 1000s of geese and hordes of duck flock to the fields, ponds and creeks around me. Squirrel and rabbits everywhere.

If guns are a bad idea to you. That just leaves more to put on the table for the rest of us.

Plus. Im from South America. If you have a dog. I now know I can come for it safely. tenor.gif

If i had a dog, i'd encourage you to come for it tbh.  Rid me of the foul beast.

Just started watching Doomsday Preppers and some of these people are idiots.  I can’t take most of them seriously not because they’re Preppers, but because how poorly they’re prepping.  

This one group was prepping for E5 tornadoes and they had everything stored above ground.  

Started watching it for tips, but I feel like I could do better myself.