slay traded

flyguy1609

46 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Good context.

All of that came directly from Slay himself... and it says a lot more to me about Slay than it does about Patricia. How insecure do you have to be where Patricia uses that particular phrase and then take it as if Patricia or your teammates actually thinks you're fellating this guy on your down time? 

Even if Slay did swing that way, I personally could care less, but all of his teammates know who he is on and off the field. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

All of that came directly from Slay himself... and it says a lot more to me about Slay than it does about Patricia. How insecure do you have to be where Patricia uses that particular phrase and then take it as if Patricia or your teammates actually thinks you're fellating this guy on your down time? 

Even if Slay did swing that way, I personally could care less, but all of his teammates know who he is on and off the field. 

Right? It's an extension of the phrase "kissing a--", something that has been said frequently over the years.

Slay said something like "... if Glover Quin wasn't there, I'm not sure what I would have done". Really Slay? What would you have done to the head coach for using a phrase that basically means you're sucking up to the guy?

It's unfortunate that he left Detroit with such an interview, especially after he admitted that they cleared the air, Patricia apologized and the second year was "good".

• Like 1

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Right? It's an extension of the phrase "kissing a--", something that has been said frequently over the years.

Slay said something like "... if Glover Quin wasn't there, I'm not sure what I would have done". Really Slay? What would you have done to the head coach for using a phrase that basically means you're sucking up to the guy?

It's unfortunate that he left Detroit with such an interview, especially after he admitted that they cleared the air, Patricia apologized and the second year was "good".

This is a football team, not a Fortune 500 company. Especially in the current world, that kind of language wouldn't fly in a boardroom. These guys are saying WAY worse things to each other on the football field. It's a tough environment that requires a thicker skin. However, even if you do want to error on the side of caution in this, Slay could and should have said something instead of harbouring resentment for a year

• Like 2

https://brobible.com/sports/article/matt-patricia-lions-garrett-hudson-worst-person-football/\

Guys a total nobody, but it certainly says something.

I watched Patricia scold a grown man for not sitting up straight. He certainly wasn't kidding about that.

I don't think this is a humor issue. I think this is a 'Patricia is a weirdo that says weird stuff at weird times" type of thing.

2 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

https://brobible.com/sports/article/matt-patricia-lions-garrett-hudson-worst-person-football/\

Guys a total nobody, but it certainly says something.

I watched Patricia scold a grown man for not sitting up straight. He certainly wasn't kidding about that.

I don't think this is a humor issue. I think this is a 'Patricia is a weirdo that says weird stuff at weird times" type of thing.

According to Hudson, in that article, about Patricia cussing out Kerryon Johnson for not knowing the year Ford Field was constructed:

"It was funny as hell and Kerryon didn't seem affected by it. Some guys don't mind his personality and way of doing things."

Coming from a player that hates him, I'd say that quote speaks volumes: Patricia is a ball-buster. He's brash, he's loud, he's profane and he probably thinks he's pretty funny. Yet, many players have stated that they'd love to play for him, and players that have spent years with him in NE don't seem to hesitate to sign here.

Most importantly: if he wins games, no one will care.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, BarryTheBest said:

We are talking about a grown man being upset over something his coach said. This is nonsense.

I'm legitimately baffled that people can take this viewpoint. I don't care if things don't upset you, you have to understand that they can upset other people and act somewhat accordingly... It's part of the social contract. These are things we expect other people to understand... especially when leading other men.

TL, you're completely ignoring the bit where he said,

"Matt Patricia is literally the worst person I’ve encountered in my entire football career. I was excited when the lions cut me. It was that bad"

You're all smarter than this. This is not normal behavior.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/matt-patricia-scolds-reporter-for-his-posture-just-kind-of-sit-up-

Ball busting? Give me a break. The dude is imbalanced.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I'm legitimately baffled that people can take this viewpoint. I don't care if things don't upset you, you have to understand that they can upset other people and act somewhat accordingly... It's part of the social contract. These are things we expect other people to understand... especially when leading other men.

"Matt Patricia is literally the worst person I’ve encountered in my entire football career. I was excited when the lions cut me. It was that bad"

https://www.wxyz.com/news/matt-patricia-scolds-reporter-for-his-posture-just-kind-of-sit-up-

Patricia is just one more reason the Lions are a laughing stock.

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2019/12/ask-kyle-thoughts-on-former-players-speaking-out-against-matt-patricia.html

It's been an issue prior to Slay. I don't know where the "joking" angle even came from.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/darius-slay-lost-respect-detroit-lions-coach-matt/story?id=69700235

"Slay didn't like it. Nobody would have. Nobody would have liked it," Quin said. "I sat next to Slay in team meetings so he was clearly, clearly upset. I just had to try and help him make a good decision, and he took the higher road in the moment and kind of all got through. We all kind of got through it. Now he got out of there."

Quin said it became kind of a "running joke" among some players about when Patricia might snap on one player or another because "you could tell, just because of the way his culture had been. Everything that everybody did, you knew something was going to be said."

And that's Glover Quin.

3 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

Did you watch the WXYZ video? Patricia, calmly, asks the guy to sit up and have some respect for him, the head coach of a NFL team, when he takes time to answer questions. Is that an unreasonable ask? He reminds me of any supervisor in any job I've ever had. He didn't yell. He didn't freak out. He just asked the guy to sit up.

You know what this all sounds like? A guy coming from an organization where asking a coach press conference questions is a privilege. I've never thought that one should slouch when talking to someone else. In no job I've had is that acceptable. A beat writer gig is a pretty good job to have... if sitting up in DET is difficult, perhaps in NE they act like it is.

I love how fans are upset at our constant losing, then get upset when a winning coach comes here to change that losing culture. Patricia is comparing the way things are done here to the way they were done in a place that many consider a football dynasty. Apparently, the differences are obvious. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nagahide13 said:

From that article:

"... citing examples like toxic Monday meetings where Patricia would just light up players for an hour-and-a-half about their mistakes."

Yeah, it sounds like something NE does. It's been widely reported that Belichick has done the exact same thing on a regular basis, starting with Brady.

It also sounds like a group of millionaires that dislike criticism and loved a friendly coach that would never call out their mistakes. I guess it's telling that a bunch of these NE players don't hesitate to sign with DET, knowing that the same NE stuff will happen here. Some seem to like that culture.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I love how fans are upset at our constant losing, then get upset when a winning coach comes here to change that losing culture. Patricia is comparing the way things are done here to the way they were done in a place that many consider a football dynasty. Apparently, the differences are obvious. 

I think you're confusing a losing culture with a winning one. I think you may have them reversed, in fact, since we were winning prior to Patricia's arrival and have been losing since. Jim Caldwell didn't exactly leave a "losing culture" behind. Matt Patricia hasn't been winning and has been jettisoning good players... Not because of their attitudes, but because of HIS. Darius Slay and Glover Quin are class A+ individuals.

There is a huge difference in being held accountable and what is apparently happening in Detroit.

Edited by nagahide13
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I think you're confusing a losing culture with a winning one. I think you may have them reversed, in face, since we were winning prior to Patricia's arrival and have been losing since. Jim Caldwell didn't exactly leave a "losing culture" behind.

There is a huge difference in being held accountable and what is apparently happening in Detroit.

I think calling what Caldwell did here a "winning culture" speaks volumes: 11-5, then 7-9, 9-7 and 9-7... or a 9-7 average during his four years. To the good teams in this league, that's a bad four year stretch, with only one acceptable season and zero playoff wins. To a Lions' fan, that's "winning".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I think calling what Caldwell did here a "winning culture" speaks volumes: 11-5, then 7-9, 9-7 and 9-7... or a 9-7 average during his four years. To the good teams in this league, that's a bad four year stretch, with only one acceptable season and zero playoff wins. To a Lions' fan, that's "winning".

62-50

That's literally winning.

9-22-1

That's literally losing.

What are you even talking about.

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Did you watch the WXYZ video? Patricia, calmly, asks the guy to sit up and have some respect for him, the head coach of a NFL team, when he takes time to answer questions. Is that an unreasonable ask? He reminds me of any supervisor in any job I've ever had. He didn't yell. He didn't freak out. He just asked the guy to sit up.

You know what this all sounds like? A guy coming from an organization where asking a coach press conference questions is a privilege. I've never thought that one should slouch when talking to someone else. In no job I've had is that acceptable. A beat writer gig is a pretty good job to have... if sitting up in DET is difficult, perhaps in NE they act like it is.

This is complete and utter nonsense. He was frustrated and snapped about something that clearly didn't matter. A reporter slouching doesn't matter. He should be thinking about his crap team rather than the posture of men he doesn't employ.

Edited by nagahide13
  • Like 1