slay traded

flyguy1609

quote from slay:

I had a very, very solid year,” said Slay, who made his third straight Pro Bowl in 2019. “This past year I probably went six or seven games without being thrown at but one time, and that’s with me following their best guy. So I’ve got a lot of respect, man. I’m not making Pro Bowls just to make them. Shoot, we weren’t even consistently winning in Detroit, so for me to make the Pro Bowl on a team that wasn’t consistently winning, it says a lot. It shows you’ve got a lot of respect. Not to diss Detroit or nothing, but you look at it like, a guy making Pro Bowl from Detroit he’s got to be doing something (right) at the time.

lol.

Edited by LionArkie

5 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Yet.

I don't think Quinn has done more good than bad. I think the win - loss columns reflect Quinn hasn't done a good job. 

Millen was/is the worst GM in sports history.  Hands down.

Quinn is a C+ GM.  He drafts C+ players with the hopes that they can be B+ players.  But when you miss on C+ players you are only left with a bunch of average players there's not enough elite talent to counter that and you end up with the record we've had  the last two seasons.

• Like 1

Just now, Millenhater said:

Millen was/is the worst GM in sports history.  Hands down.

Quinn is a C+ GM.  He drafts C+ players with the hopes that they can be B+ players.  But when you miss on C+ players you are only left with a bunch of average players there's not enough elite talent to counter that and you end up with the record we've had  the last two seasons.

I think your rank of Quinn is very fair.  I was looking through his drafts and I think his first one was his best.  He seems to do his best work in the middle rounds.  this was where all the previous regimes failed miserably. His 2017 was his worst as he missed out on his first two picks, although getting Golladay, confirming he's solid in the middle rounds.  There is absolutely no flash with him though in the first couple rounds.  This year will be interesting.

26 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

That quote is completely void of context. Patricia likes to joke with the players, evident by the Senior Bowl footage. He could have absolutely been taking a playful shot.

Of course, we could just assume the worst...

It's hard to imagine a competent coach making that joke even if it was a joke.

Just now, Nnivolcm said:

It's hard to imagine a competent coach making that joke even if it was a joke.

Oh. Wow. Well, I can only speak from my experiences, but between the Marine Corps and state police, a lot of brutal stuff was said between one another on any given day. And I've never gotten paid millions to stand around and say it... I can imagine that environment could be even worse.

30 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Think about it: just months ago, Slay said that he'd absolutely play for Detroit if offered a new deal, and in that quote admitted that the second year was better. Why would he feel that way if Patricia truly meant that comment in a negative way?

Are you really asking this?

Then why is he mentioning it now? Just for fun?

Because they traded him? He begged for the trade and he's psyched as hell about it!

Because he's got a grudge against Patricia? If so, why?!

How does it somehow not reflect badly on Patricia that a relationship with one of the best players on the team went that bad? It doesn't matter how! It's not like Slay is some career knucklehead, he's hard working, great talent, never gets in trouble, has always been passionate about being a Lion. If you lose a relationship with that kind of guy, that's a monumental screw up. Monumental. 

Your ability to come up with ways to lick the Lions boots never ceases to amaze.

Edited by Superduperman

Uh... because he doesn't like Patricia? Like, at all?

Lets not pretend that players openly criticizing their former organization(s) is anything new.

(My favorite part of all of this is that I'm a "homer" and "boot licker" because I won't immediately assume the worst from every situation.)

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Oh. Wow. Well, I can only speak from my experiences, but between the Marine Corps and state police, a lot of brutal stuff was said between one another on any given day. And I've never gotten paid millions to stand around and say it... I can imagine that environment could be even worse.

Oh. Wow. Well, two things I can speak from my experiences:

1. I'm a LEO too, I'm very familiar with the "cop humor" and I'd still get hot if my supervisor was making those kind of statements to me. Real leaders don't do that. Those "jokes" sound like the kind of jokes you make when you want to make someone quit. If your supervisors have been making those kind of "jokes" to you, maybe it's time to think about a change.

2. You're probably not one of the top 5 best in the world at what you do. You probably don't have the leverage to get paid millions of dollars for your services. What has Patricia done to earn the right to say that to anyone who has proven way more than he has?

3. Respect needs to be earned before you can make those kind of "jokes". Patricia has done nothing to earn that respect. When Patricia was hired Slay was coming off a 1st team all pro season. Patricia got to Detroit as a rookie head coach and he's taken a middle of the road team into a bottom 3 team.

4. This quote adds a bit of context:

"He told me in front of the whole team, in the team meeting room, showed clips of me in practice getting a ball caught on me or so in practice," Slay said. "I posted a picture (of a wide receiver on Instagram), and he told me, stop sucking this man’s private. So I’m like, 'Whoa.' I’m like, 'Hold up.' Where I’m from, that don’t fly. Cause I wouldn’t say that to him. I wouldn’t say to him to stop you know what to Bill Belichick. I wouldn’t do that. That’s just not me as a man. That’s disrespectful to me and so from there on it was done with."

Why would you want to publicly insult one of your best players if not to satisfy your own ego? That's bad leadership and it's no wonder he's had such problems getting people to follow  him. 

Edited by Nnivolcm
  • Like 1