Bengals sign CB Mackensie Alexander

SmittyBacall

Very happy, can pretty much take CB off the board at 33 and 65.  I don't see the guys who would have to fall to be a clear BPA making it to either spot.  If we are going to try to force LB and G into those spots, I hope we do a trade down or two.  I'll almost be shocked if we don't trade back from 33 at this point unless a clear BPA falls.

2 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Very happy, can pretty much take CB off the board at 33 and 65.  I don't see the guys who would have to fall to be a clear BPA making it to either spot.  If we are going to try to force LB and G into those spots, I hope we do a trade down or two.  I'll almost be shocked if we don't trade back from 33 at this point unless a clear BPA falls.

If Mims, Queen, Jefferson, and Murray are gone (along with the other obvious names), trade back.

2 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

Trying to figure out why Kirkpatrick is still on the roster.  We also have an intersting group out of the top 5 in Rose, McTyer and Brown,  all guys that have gotten contracts recently.

Either they think they can get something for him at some point in a trade, or they are afraid of being thin due to injuries.  If they extend Jackson, they HAVE to dump Dre.  They could also be thinking of playing so much nickel and dime that they need the extra CB, because they have struck out on LB so far.  For an idea of how that might look, think back to when they brought back Dennard from IR and then cut Preston Brown.  They valued the CB over the LB.  And Alexander is that kind of guy in nickel (can tackle).  So maybe they don't value LB as much at this point and will draft a guy like Queen or Baun in the second, then another like Davis Gaither or Dye in the third or fourth.

On 3/19/2020 at 11:30 AM, THE DUKE said:

A lot of mocks I have seen, either Queen, Murray or Baun has been there. I’d think any of those 3 would be very close to the top of the BPA list. Would hope we would take one of those then trade back and end up with a lesser player like we did with Zeitler (DeCastro) or Chris Perry (Steven Jackson)

5 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Trying to figure out why Kirkpatrick is still on the roster.  We also have an intersting group out of the top 5 in Rose, McTyer and Brown,  all guys that have gotten contracts recently.

Bengals don't need more cap space yet. We're about 19 mil under, even with Andy still aboard. We could afford to keep Dre all year if need be and can at least go through training camp if someone else gets hurt.  Other reason might be as trade bait. The Vikings are thin at CB. If he ans Zimmer parted on good terms, we might have a market there. I'd trade him for Kyle Rudolph. It would make sense for both teams.