2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

7 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Very true about his WRs. He has 1st round NFL talent all around him. Pretty much no matter where he ends up he is significant downgrading at WR. Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith, Waddle is better than every WR group in the NFL from 1-4 IMO.

He also has leatherwood at LT who probably would have been a first round pick as well. At worse a day 2 pick. Tua’s supporting cast at Alabama was better than Darnold’s on the Jets. It’s nuts.

The positional thing needs to be used with caution. Edge is more important than an interior lineman but Donald is more valuable than any edge. Outside WR is more valuable than TE but Travis Kelce is more valuable than just about every WR.

There are a couple of premium players and non premium positions. Jamal is a premium player. The Jets ranked 10th in defensive DVOA with basically Jamal playing at an elite level and Foly playing close to elite against the run. The rest of the guys...I can’t even think of who else had a good year on our defense.

31 minutes ago, xrade said:

To dcat,  all I can say is that I am glad you are not part of the Jets front office. However, it would be great if you were part of the Patriots FO. 

Craving for a stud WR here.  After watching endless video, I feel top 3 are miles ahead of the others in this group.  I just don't see it the same way for the tackles..  Sam needs a strong OL for sure, but he is fairly mobile and has always moved freely in the pocket.  I just strongly beieve that this is the better round 1 value.  Again, it's just my opinion.    

It will be fascinating to see what JD does.  If he goes OT... then you got it right.  If he goes Lamb/Jeudy/Ruggs, then I got it right. We'll see.   And don't count out a trade down to maximize value at both positions.  But that is a bit more difficult to achieve.  

25 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

The positional thing needs to be used with caution. Edge is more important than an interior lineman but Donald is more valuable than any edge. Outside WR is more valuable than TE but Travis Kelce is more valuable than just about every WR.

There are a couple of premium players and non premium positions. Jamal is a premium player. The Jets ranked 10th in defensive DVOA with basically Jamal playing at an elite level and Foly playing close to elite against the run. The rest of the guys...I can’t even think of who else had a good year on our defense.

There are exceptions to everything.  Maybe Jamal's talent pushes the needle up for the positional value.  I'll agree that Jamal is a premium player in a non premium position.  It will be quite interesting what Joe Douglas is willing to spend on that position when the time comes and if Adams is going to threaten to hold out. Big egos sometimes worry me.

Edited by dcat

11 minutes ago, dcat said:

There are exceptions to everything.  Maybe Jamal's talent pushes the needle up for the positional value.  I'll agree that Jamal is a premium player in a non premium position.  It will be quite interesting what Joe Douglas is willing to spend on that position when the time comes. 

Yea I think that’s fair. At strong safety there are only two exceptions that I can think of Jamal and Derwin.

Considering how frugal Douglas is, I agree it’s going to be interesting if we are able to come to terms on a long term deal. BB is also frugal and gave McCourty 11.5. I’d expect it’ll be somewhere in 12-14 range if we get it done this year. Otherwise closer to the 14.

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KingOfTheDot said:

The question however is. 

Elite Safety/DB vs potential Elite WR or potential Elite OT. 

I wouldn't trade Adams unless we pull in a haul well beyond what he's worth.  So no, I would keep him.  We've got him another 2 years with the option and I hope JD can smoothly get a deal done without too much publicity.  Don't want a disgruntled Adams the next 2 years at all.  So get a deal done soon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Yea I think that’s fair. At strong safety there are only two exceptions that I can think of Jamal and Derwin.

Considering how frugal Douglas is, I agree it’s going to be interesting if we are able to come to terms on a long term deal. BB is also frugal and gave McCourty 11.5. 

Honestly, I'm fine if they make him highest paid S in the league.  I just don't want a holdout and any more negativity from Jamal's noise on twitter.  Get it done before it brews. 

Or trade him now.  :P  j/k

8 minutes ago, Abe56 said:

I like Van, but their are a bunch of mid to late round WR’s i like more

Wanna talk Cotchery, this is 6’3 Cotchery

I really like Edwards.  I like any of these before Shawn Jefferson's kid.  He's never played anything but slot.  Not what I want.  How about any of these at that spot?  Claypool (probably taken), Duvernay, KJHill, AGG, Peoples-Jones, Gabriel Davis.  I like them all  more than Van Jefferson.

4 minutes ago, dcat said:

I really like Edwards.  I like any of these before Shawn Jefferson's kid.  He's never played anything but slot.  Not what I want.  How about any of these at that spot?  Claypool (probably taken), Duvernay, KJHill, AGG, Peoples-Jones, Gabriel Davis.  I like them all  more than Van Jefferson.

I have no idea who Shawn Jefferson is.  I do like Edwards, I think the best part about him is that he had a broken foot so didn't do any offseason stuff, so he might fall a bit.  Duvernay is fast but man he is stiff and has tight hips and as a result isn't a great route runner.  IMO Van is the 2nd best route runner in this class, and has amazing hands even in traffic. 

1 minute ago, rampantjet said:

I have no idea who Shawn Jefferson is.  I do like Edwards, I think the best part about him is that he had a broken foot so didn't do any offseason stuff, so he might fall a bit.  Duvernay is fast but man he is stiff and has tight hips and as a result isn't a great route runner.  IMO Van is the 2nd best route runner in this class, and has amazing hands even in traffic. 

Shawn Jefferson is our WR’s coach, Van is his son