2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

JEts fans need to stop getting moody cause Adams tweets, until he flat out states to trade him stop trying to force a trade. Jets should attempt to give him a LTD this summer. Adams is a ELITE safety, he does everything and makes our defense better. Trading him away only creates a new hole. Hes part of the solution going forward, we have given bad contracts out but Adams is a safe bet to be great cause he actually cares about football. 

• Like 1

Ideally for me we take the Best available OT at 11 then trade up with Baltimore and take either Mims or Aiyuk. I really love both these guys and am at the point I don’t want us to risk missing out on them.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

I have no idea who Shawn Jefferson is.  I do like Edwards, I think the best part about him is that he had a broken foot so didn't do any offseason stuff, so he might fall a bit.  Duvernay is fast but man he is stiff and has tight hips and as a result isn't a great route runner.  IMO Van is the 2nd best route runner in this class, and has amazing hands even in traffic. 

I don't disagree with any of that.  But consoder that Jefferson has never played anything except slot and that is not a dire need at the moment. I'm pretty happy with Crowder there right now. VJ simply doesn't fit the team's greater need at WR at the moment. 

11 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

In a nutshell yes you prioritize an OT and WR over a S but that's not what the question is.

If you don't think Jamal can cover we can stop this discussion.  Jamal does everything well including coverage.

You are greatly underestimating the impact Jamal has on the field and there in lies the biggest flaw in your argument.

You basically want to trade him for Lamb and right now Adams >>>>> Lamb.  Lamb would need to become Julio for this to make any sense and that is a huge risk.

1.  I want JD to sign Adams to a long contract tomorrow.  I'll bring the pen.  

2. If an outstanding offer were given, one that exceeds Jamal's actual value, I'd expect JD to entertain it and accept it.  I don't think we will ever get such an offer except for possibly Jerry Jones heat of the moment thing, so it's a moot point.  If JD doesn't consider offers, then we hired the wrong guy for GM. 

3. Jamal is NOT great in coverage.  You must be kidding. He has 2 INTs in 3 years and his PDs are way low too.  He is an outstanding tackler and rocks the house in many ways, but he gets beat in coverage frequently.   He improved for sure over 2018 and don't even talk about 2017.  

1 hour ago, dcat said:

I don't disagree with any of that.  But consoder that Jefferson has never played anything except slot and that is not a dire need at the moment. I'm pretty happy with Crowder there right now. VJ simply doesn't fit the team's greater need at WR at the moment. 

The only real reason a guy might not be able to play on the outside is size  he's 6'2 so he's fine ,  and ability to get off of press,  he's amazing at getting off of press.   He can play anywhere. 

A few points. #1) I wouldnt trade Adam's unless I was getting back a young stud WR or OT AND a 1st...at least. Anyone who thinks safety isnt that important, tell that to Ed Reed or Troy Palamalu. Safety's can lead defenses to championships and we have one of the best young ones to come out in a while. Jamal is the perfect alpha for a winning team (imo). Hes vocal,  hard working, and accountable.  He demands that of his teammates  and I love that. Theres very few packages I'd take for him and 100% a franchise player. 

2. I really want to see us go Wr early and often. Honestly,  I wouldnt be surprised if we draft 3 wrs at the end of the day. Theres no reason not to get as much talent in as possible and a young core can help. 

3. I'm ALOT less concerned about the OLine then others. I believe it needs to be addressed,  but is not dire. There's a fair amount of talent in that group albeit temporary. 

4. I wouldnt be surprised at all if we moved around in the mid rounds a bit. I think JD is gonna look to grab extra picks. Especially if theres a truncated preseason, the more picks he gets (even for 2021 when theres a better evaluation process *potentially *) for the 2021 season would be a shrewd move. The top picks are easily scouted, this process, at this point, is about finding those diamonds in the rough. And data is usually the best for that. 

Anyway, that's basically all the posts I wanted to write today but didnt get around too. 

2 hours ago, rampantjet said:

The only real reason a guy might not be able to play on the outside is size  he's 6'2 so he's fine ,  and ability to get off of press,  he's amazing at getting off of press.   He can play anywhere. 

His feet are phenomenal. The way he sets up his routes and the way he can run multiple routes with similar footwork will do wonders. 

1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

His feet are phenomenal. The way he sets up his routes and the way he can run multiple routes with similar footwork will do wonders. 

True. The risk with him is will NFL level good CBs not let him do that off the line. Bc you take away his “game” (great route running) and he’s not that good of a WR bc his talent after RR is very limited. Where as a guy like Jeudy has the talent AND route running, where he can still beat a CB if they take that part of his game out.

55 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

True. The risk with him is will NFL level good CBs not let him do that off the line. Bc you take away his “game” (great route running) and he’s not that good of a WR bc his talent after RR is very limited. Where as a guy like Jeudy has the talent AND route running, where he can still beat a CB if they take that part of his game out.

Route running is the hardest thing to take away. Corners are always a step behind and that’s where a player like him can take advantage especially in a timing based offense. 

A player like him will go into his route and you don’t know if it’s a dig, curl, out, post or flag. But what can he do after that is definitely a question mark which is why if he’s read 3 or 4 it’s perfect because you almost know he’s gonna be open. 

6 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Route running is the hardest thing to take away. Corners are always a step behind and that’s where a player like him can take advantage especially in a timing based offense. 

A player like him will go into his route and you don’t know if it’s a dig, curl, out, post or flag. But what can he do after that is definitely a question mark which is why if he’s read 3 or 4 it’s perfect because you almost know he’s gonna be open. 

Yes but there’s different degrees of great route running. Jefferson’s is that hop step off the line to set his DB up. Will he be able to do that against good NFL CBs is what I’m saying. His great route running isn’t as much coming out of breaks extremely fast and all that there’s no way of stopping. We will see. I just can see good press CBs making him struggle. It’s one thing to do it in college, but another in the NFL.

12 hours ago, dcat said:

3. Jamal is NOT great in coverage.  You must be kidding. He has 2 INTs in 3 years and his PDs are way low too.  He is an outstanding tackler and rocks the house in many ways, but he gets beat in coverage frequently.   He improved for sure over 2018 and don't even talk about 2017.  

Again, I just don't understand where this is coming from. 

INTs/PDs are nice statistics but relatively arbitrary for measuring coverage, they certainly don't tell the whole story.

• PFF Coverage grade (2018): 89.6 (3rd)
  • PFF Coverage grade (2019): 87.3 (6th)
  • Completion % (Both): 55% 

I'm not one to claim PFF is perfect by any means, but it provides needed perspective. Contrary to what you might think, Jamal is great in coverage. 

• Like 1

Jamal isn’t just a safety and that’s the thing. If he was just a great Centerfielder or a pure box guy I’d say yes I’d absolutely look to potentially make a move but he isn’t, he plays LB, CB, Slot, Edge, SS, FS. Him having such a high impact at all these areas to me make it borderline impossible to trade him.

• Like 2