Mike Maccagnan Thread

Jetfan66

56 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

In 2015 I wanted one of Beasley or Gurley at 6. I wasn’t a fan of drafting Leo and that had nothing to do with his talent. Bc he has crazy talent. It just wasn’t a big need for us (or any need for us for that matter). Beasley led the NFL in sacks last year and Gurley is a top RB in the NFL.

In 2016 I wanted Josh Doctson with our pick instead of Lee. Just like Leo I didn’t think the pick was awful, I just would have liked to see us go in a different direction. WRs take some time to learn and Doctson is starting to show his talent this season. I think next year you’ll see a huge jump in production from him.

In 2017 I was actually completely ok with Adams. I think he filled a need and was completely worthy of his draft spot.

This team would be better IMO if we had a team of Beasley or Gurley, Doctson and Adams than Leo, Lee and Adams.

Right.  I need to ask you that how are you so sure that alternative prospects would make Jets better than Jets' actual prospects? 

32 teams. Too many different system. Too many different coaches.

If HC utilizes prospects well, we are happy. If not, we are mad.  Because of that, do you blame GM for draft mishap?  I know I blame coaching but you?

16 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Right.  I need to ask you that how are you so sure that alternative prospects would make Jets better than Jets' actual prospects? 

If HC utilizes prospects well, we are happy. If not, we are mad.  Because of that, do you blame GM for draft mishap?  I know I blame coaching but you?

There is plenty of blame to go around, you are probably right it could be the coaching also. It is all about the future now, and our future is on the line with the upcoming draft & FA period.  I think we are all sick and tired of being a 5-11 team.

56 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Talent is talent in most cases. Schemes only should come into consideration on select skill sets. So I blame both GM and HC for not getting the right players and not utilizing players correctly.

Mac has a monumental task in the off season, he must come up with a QB some how, and no more of these lifetime backups. Now that the Jets are in great shape with cap money, he can pick first class players this offseason. and no more of second tier players. We have four picks in the first 74 picks in the draft. With Woody out of the picture now Mac is in total control of the draft & FA period. If he succeeds he will look like a genius, if he fails this will be his Stalingrad. Unfortunately we will not know for another four months.

3 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Mac has a monumental task in the off season, he must come up with a QB some how, and no more of these lifetime backups. Now that the Jets are in great shape with cap money, he can pick first class players this offseason. and no more of second tier players. We have four picks in the first 74 picks in the draft. With Woody out of the picture now Mac is in total control of the draft & FA period. If he succeeds he will look like a genius, if he fails this will be his Stalingrad. Unfortunately we will not know for another four months.

I'm actually totally fine with 2nd tier FAs. Macc has shown he's actually pretty good at getting them pretty cheap. I just think we need to spend big money on a Pass Rusher/Corner/QB.

19 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

I'm actually totally fine with 2nd tier FAs. Macc has shown he's actually pretty good at getting them pretty cheap. I just think we need to spend big money on a Pass Rusher/Corner/QB.

I am not sure about a CB, we are not bat at all. Our defensive is much improved, even with said we are giving up 25 to 30 points a game. But look around the league most teams are give up the same thing as we are that 25 to 30 point. We all knew the new rule are all one sided against the defensive. That is why I never ever say anything about the CB's. We have the money to get first tier players, we should only need two, unless we need the money if Cousins becomes available. 

I feel like if we resign Claiborne, Ealy and Davis that we don’t have obvious holes besides Edge. CB could be upgraded, but there’s other positions I think we are worse off at. Skrine could be brought back for a way cheaper price as well and put back in the slot. Burris maybe can take a leap in development. We have our 2 late Round development CBs as well. I’m not expecting anything great from any of the 3 of them, but I’m sure they’ll be given a chance next year. Guys like Johnson and Butler will cost a good amount of money in FA.

We have terrible CB's.  CB is a major need.  Skrine should be upgraded and Claiborne is best as a #2.  We are desperate for a lockdown CB.

We are also desperate for a pass rusher on defense as well.  Ealy is also best as a secondary pass rusher not the main focus.

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

We have terrible CB's.  CB is a major need.  Skrine should be upgraded and Claiborne is best as a #2.  We are desperate for a lockdown CB.

We are also desperate for a pass rusher on defense as well.  Ealy is also best as a secondary pass rusher not the main focus.

This. I don’t know how you can watch this defense and not see the need for better CB play and a desperate need for a natural pass rusher

15 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I have Edge as a WAY bigger need than CB though. 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Idk if I'd say WAY but I agree. I think we need to sign 2 of Claiborne/Butler/Johnson this offseason. I'd be okay with Skrine coming back depending on who's out in FA. I don't think his contract prevents us from signing other players, it's just $3-4M too much for the quality he has shown over the season. If we sign 2 of the 3 above then he'll be cut but if we only land 1 I see us holding onto him for another year.

I think with a pass rush you'd see the secondary play pick up. Demarcus Lawerence has had quite the season so for me he'd be a high priority FA. If Ealy is retained I think we'll still need a Pass Rusher, not sure he has anything to do with that decision.

That said I think Corner will be easier to fix in FA than in the draft so I'd prefer to go that route and then double dip at Pass Rush. We'll get a better idea once we know where Cousins lands.

Not a fan of Bulter.  I think he's overrated.  He's a good CB but if he is asking for 16M+ then he's not worth that.  

I'd actually prefer EJ Gaines over both Johnson and Butler.  Gaines just got hurt but as long as it's nothing crazy like an ACL then I like his versatility.  He can play inside and outside and will come at a better price.

Lawrence is the other name to watch for me.  Guy is a monster pass rusher but just has some issues with substance abuse.  Not sure he'd be on our radar because of that but I'd offer him a big contract if he didn't have those issues.  That dude can ball.

I'd be ok with resigning Claiborne, signing Gaines and grabbing another guy in round 2.  As for pass rusher I'd like to keep Ealy and sign Lawrence.  

19 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

If  some people think our CB's are terrible, take a look around the entire NFL if you want to see terrible CB's. Getting a shut down CB is rare, Revis,  at one time was a shut down corner. Even mediocre QB are passing for 350 yards per game, why I am tired of saying it, the passing game changed when they did away with the bump & run. The biggest  thing you can do to help the CB's is to get a outstanding pass rusher. But that is easer said than done, they are like gold.

I think a lot of things in the NFL play off each other. We’ve had a good defense for years now. BUT our offense has been so awful that our defense is on the field the whole game. If we just had a legit offense it’s make our defense better.

This offense needs a good run game and a QB something bad. That’s not secret so I’m not going to elaborate on that. But I will elaborate on defense. Pass rush and secondary play off each other. We’ve lacked a pass rush for years just like we’ve lacked on offense. A legit pass rush alone will make our secondary better. But it can be flipped as well. A legit secondary can make your pass rush better. We’ve addressed secondary though with Adams, Maye and Claiborne real players. We haven’t addressed pass rush. Lozo, Jenkins, Donahue and Martin aren’t legit options in the pass rush game. To add to this... we have arguably the best linebacker coach in the NFL. Give him some talent to work with and he can make things happen. I always want us to go offense Round 1 and I do this year as well, but the only position I’d be ok with us skipping on a pass rusher for is Edge. But hopefully we don’t mess that up like we have done in the past and draft a guy like Coples.

4 hours ago, doumeyer said:

If  some people think our CB's are terrible, take a look around the entire NFL if you want to see terrible CB's. Getting a shut down CB is rare, Revis,  at one time was a shut down corner. Even mediocre QB are passing for 350 yards per game, why I am tired of saying it, the passing game changed when they did away with the bump & run. The biggest  thing you can do to help the CB's is to get a outstanding pass rusher. But that is easer said than done, they are like gold.

Marshawn Lattimore and Marcus Williams transformed that NO defense.  Secondary can be just as impactful.  We consistently had the #1 defense with some run stuffers and Revis/Cro

There are many ways to build a great D.  I think Bowles is a DB guy.  He'll manufacture a rush with his blitz scheme's as long as he has 3 really good cover corners.  We were top 5 the year we brought in Revis and Skrine when both we playing at a high level and we had no pass rushers.

I expect CB to be very high on the list of priorities.  Expect Claiborne to be resigned, us to make a push for another CB in FA, maybe keep Skrine and/or even draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd.  

Ealy plus another mid round guy will probably be our pass rush next year unfortunately.  Ogbonnia Okoronkwo is the guy I'm watching.  I've seen him anywhere from 1st round to mid 3rd.  He's smallish but he is an outstanding pass rusher.  I'd love to add him to the pass rush mix with the SEA pick.

Archived