Mike Maccagnan Thread

Jetfan66

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

John Dorsey of Browns could ax Hue Jackson. If that happened, Jets must fire Todd Bowles.     Frank Reich as HC and Hue Jackson as OC would be an excellent start.  I better buy a pallet of coca butter lotions.

Hue Jackson is def getting another HC job, guy is very well respected around the league. Coaching for the Browns is a death sentence. 

John Dorsey of Browns could ax Hue Jackson. If that happened, Jets must fire Todd Bowles.     Frank Reich as HC and Hue Jackson as OC would be an excellent start.  I better buy a pallet of coca butter lotions.

LOL, why would you want a guy with 1 win on his resume over the past two years as the OC.  Morton has been just fine as OC and Bowles has an awful roster competing week in and week out (outside of last week which was more an anomaly than the norm).  

Both are coming back.

15 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

LOL, why would you want a guy with 1 win on his resume over the past two years as the OC.  Morton has been just fine as OC and Bowles has an awful roster competing week in and week out (outside of last week which was more an anomaly than the norm).  

Both are coming back.

Hue Jackson is an excellent OC. Judging him off his record coaching the Browns is complete BS, that organization has literally failed with EVERYONE. 

Browns came out and said Hue is returning next year.

11 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Hue Jackson is an excellent OC. Judging him off his record coaching the Browns is complete BS, that organization has literally failed with EVERYONE. 

I get the Browns suck royally but Jackson has been a major disappointment, you can't even defend him.  His predecessors were able to win 4-5 at least with the likes of Brady Quin, Colt McCoy, Weeden, and Derek Anderson at QB.  As a great OC you should be able to stumble into a few wins and he can't even do that.  He'll get another shot when he is eventually fired but he is no longer viewed as this genius OC.

29 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Hue Jackson is def getting another HC job, guy is very well respected around the league. Coaching for the Browns is a death sentence. 

No argument.

28 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Both are coming back.

If Reich retains Morton then so be it.  It is not uncommon for HC to hire his guys.

How about 7 wins over 4 years for Hue Jackson as OC?  lol.  HC/OC duty may be too much for Hue.  Focusing on only OC duty may be suitable but he already had the proven qb in Andy Dalton for Bengals.  Heck, he did not start McCown regularly.

If last two year performance as OC is too powerful to ignore then how about Norv Turner serving under Reich?

4 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Yeah, Jackson could whip up Jets offense nicely but Jets need a right qb for that.   He was excellent OC when he took over the offense developed by Jay Gruden.  Only thing that scares me is he has served IHC several times.  Could not afford to fire Reich if I believe in superstition.

8 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

No argument.

If Reich retains Morton then so be it.  It is not uncommon for HC to hire his guys.

How about 7 wins over 4 years for Hue Jackson as OC?  lol.  HC/OC duty may be too much for Hue.  Focusing on only OC duty may be suitable but he already had the proven qb in Andy Dalton for Bengals.  Heck, he did not start McCown regularly.

If last two year performance as OC is too powerful to ignore then how about Norv Turner serving under Reich?

Yeah, Jackson could whip up Jets offense nicely but Jets need a right qb for that.   He was excellent OC when he took over the offense developed by Jay Gruden.  Only thing that scares me is he has served IHC several times.  Could not afford to fire Reich if I believe in superstition.

Both Bowles and Morton should be back and given the proper QB and surrounding roster to succeed.  Both have done good things in the locker room (Bowles) and with a weak supporting cast and a journeymen QB (Morton).  No reason to make a change just to make one.

I’m curious because I hear it a lot here.. Bowles has changed the locker room or whatever. What? What exactly did he do? Was it him that decided to axe all the vets? The reason the locker room is no longer toxic is because Marshall/Sheldon/Revis etc are gone.

Are we giving him credit for professional athletes putting forth effort or are we crediting him for great game planning/scheming/overall coaching?

I constantly see he has the team “playing hard” yeah that’s cool. Is playing hard going to be enough next year?

2 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I’m curious because I hear it a lot here.. Bowles has changed the locker room or whatever. What? What exactly did he do? Was it him that decided to axe all the vets? The reason the locker room is no longer toxic is because Marshall/Sheldon/Revis etc are gone.

Are we giving him credit for professional athletes putting forth effort or are we crediting him for great game planning/scheming/overall coaching?

I constantly see he has the team “playing hard” yeah that’s cool. Is playing hard going to be enough next year?

They’re professional athletes. Meaning the get paid to play and give 100%. Like you’re stating... Bowles shouldn’t be applauded for players doing what they should do. That’s actually a GM thing. If a guy is missing practices, not giving 100%... the GM should trade or cut him. Every coach should demand normal professionalism. Bowles shouldn’t be getting recognized for this. 

Whether we give him credit or not for his changing of the culture is one thing, but his game management and being clueless in situation football has been a problem from day one. I wasn't disappointed with the Bowles hire, but I wanted Quinn or Marrone over him. Quinn obviously walked into a wonderful situation, but Marrone literally took like a 3-13 team and has made them a good team with Blake Bortles. Not too bad.  

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

They’re professional athletes. Meaning the get paid to play and give 100%. Like you’re stating... Bowles shouldn’t be applauded for players doing what they should do. That’s actually a GM thing. If a guy is missing practices, not giving 100%... the GM should trade or cut him. Every coach should demand normal professionalism. Bowles shouldn’t be getting recognized for this. 

Just cause someone gets paid to do something doesn't mean their going 100%. I'd say that is especially true for a player who's shelf life is already short and his contract is not guaranteed; add in that you are asking him to use his body as a weapon that will likely cause him brain damage in his later years and I'd say you have a legit argument for not playing all out once your team is out of it.

I can't begin to tell you how many people of various careers that I have been around that get paid to do a task and they are only moving at 65-70% because they know the boss can't really get rid of them easily. Not making excuses for the players but you can certainly see why this is an issue particularly in the NFL when you can sort of blame other positions for your short comings

We can talk for hours about all the coaches. on our team and other teams, but right now it doesn't mean anything. Our big question is how will Mac do in the offseason? His past draft history since he has been Jets GM has been far from stellar. He has had very high draft picks for the past two years and has done very little with them. Once he gets by the first round pick, he picks have been very poor. Any GM would have taken Adams & Williams with the Jets first round picks the last two years. Last year he did very little in the FA marked except for getting Morris Claiborne. I did not talk about his very first year with the Jets, I gave him a pass on that first year. His first year he brought in Decker & Marshall which was a great move it almost got us into the playoffs. Marshall & Decker were one of the best WR combs if not the best in the NFL that year. THE bottom is he has done next to nothing to help the offensive since he became GM. Our Immediate future depends on how he does in the upcoming draft and FA period. The way things look now we will probably end up with a late top ten pick. It will be about 4 1/2 months before we no anything.

With that say, I have nothing bad to say about McCown, he got the most out of the offensive players he had to work with, he was a real Pro. He earn every dime he was paid by the Jets. To bad I can't say the same about some of our so called stars.

9 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

It's enough this year because we're young and establishing the culture and foundation going forward. The guys coming in will fall in line and the more talent we add the better we'll be and better our execution will be.

Bowles did a good job this season, sure he could have been better but everyone in the organization could have.

Archived