Mike Maccagnan Thread

Jetfan66

The Jets have a few FAs that will demand fairly high compensation: Claiborne, Davis, and McCown (if he comes back). We've already begun contract discussions with Kony Ealy, and I'd expect that we will consider bringing back ASJ on a team-friendly deal. Enunwa, Qvale, and Miles are RFAs. Still, even if all these were retained, I wouldn't expect them to eat up any more than $40 million in cap, more likely much less. Assuming Mo, Forte, and Ijalana are cut, we'd still be somewhere around $50 million under the cap. 

If Kirk Cousins' isn't in the cards and we brought McCown back, how would you choose to allocate that $50 million in cap dollars?

17 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

The Jets have a few FAs that will demand fairly high compensation: Claiborne, Davis, and McCown (if he comes back). We've already begun contract discussions with Kony Ealy, and I'd expect that we will consider bringing back ASJ on a team-friendly deal. Enunwa, Qvale, and Miles are RFAs. Still, even if all these were retained, I wouldn't expect them to eat up any more than $40 million in cap, more likely much less. Assuming Mo, Forte, and Ijalana are cut, we'd still be somewhere around $50 million under the cap. 

If Kirk Cousins' isn't in the cards and we brought McCown back, how would you choose to allocate that $50 million in cap dollars?

I think Ealy, Enunwa, Davis, Claiborne, ASJ and Catanzaro can be had for under $40M. I think if we pay them well we can expect cap hits of:

Ealy - $5M

Enunwa - $6M

Davis - $5M

Catanzaro - $2M

Claiborne - $10M

ASJ - $8M 

That would bring us in at $36M so figure that is $54M in cap minus $10 for the draft plus in season moves gives us $44M to work with.

Cousins would be my #1 target and would have no problem giving him every penny of $44M to heavily front load his deal. Since we are debating a scenario without him though I'd like to target Trumaine Johnson or Malcolm Butler somewhere between $13-15M. Outside of that I think any money would be spent on luxury positions, not towards QB/Pass Rusher/LT because I don't see any worthy of that kind of money. So if it had to go towards luxury positions I would then look into Le'Veon Bell, Jarvis Landry, Devante Adams, and Paul Richardson. I don't think any of these players will help us the way a Cousins signing would help us though, which is why I'd prefer to heavily front load a contract. 

If the Cousins signing falls through then we'll need to use that FA money towards as much help as possible because I think we'll have painted ourselves in a corner and will need to trade up to #3 to select a QB that isn't named Darnold or Rosen.

38 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

If the Jets are not able to land Cousins or Bridgewater (both which are unlikely), I think the Jets need to chip away at their other holes. Richburg C from the Giants would be a solid FA pickup. He was placed on IR because of concussions which is concerning, but C is usually not a position you worry about with concussions. The other reason to get an experienced center, is that he will help whoever becomes our QB of the future. Ideally you want a veteran QB or a veteran C to pair with an experienced C or QB.

The other player I would like to get is Poe from ATL. I don't think the Falcons will allocate the little cap space they have to him. While McClendon has been good at stopping the run, it would be good to have someone who can do that and pressure the QB from the inside.

The one thing I don't want the Jets to do is sign players just because they have money. 

We don't have to trade up to No. 3 overall. Remember, SOME also-rans will not need a QB. San Francisco will not draft a QB. Chicago will not draft a QB. Indianapolis will not draft a QB. 

We are in good position to draft the best QB available when our turn comes. 

On 12/6/2017 at 11:20 AM, rdelaney89 said:

I think Ealy, Enunwa, Davis, Claiborne, ASJ and Catanzaro can be had for under $40M. I think if we pay them well we can expect cap hits of:

Ealy - $5M

Enunwa - $6M

Davis - $5M

Catanzaro - $2M

Claiborne - $10M

ASJ - $8M 

That would bring us in at $36M so figure that is $54M in cap minus $10 for the draft plus in season moves gives us $44M to work with.

Cousins would be my #1 target and would have no problem giving him every penny of $44M to heavily front load his deal. Since we are debating a scenario without him though I'd like to target Trumaine Johnson or Malcolm Butler somewhere between $13-15M. Outside of that I think any money would be spent on luxury positions, not towards QB/Pass Rusher/LT because I don't see any worthy of that kind of money. So if it had to go towards luxury positions I would then look into Le'Veon Bell, Jarvis Landry, Devante Adams, and Paul Richardson. I don't think any of these players will help us the way a Cousins signing would help us though, which is why I'd prefer to heavily front load a contract. 

If the Cousins signing falls through then we'll need to use that FA money towards as much help as possible because I think we'll have painted ourselves in a corner and will need to trade up to #3 to select a QB that isn't named Darnold or Rosen.

Claiborne and ASJ are a bit high for my liking.  ASJ should be $5-6.5M and Claiborne is more like $7-8M.  The rest seem pretty accurate.

7 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Claiborne and ASJ are a bit high for my liking.  ASJ should be $5-6.5M and Claiborne is more like $7-8M.  The rest seem pretty accurate.

Yea I believe it could be lower. We could heavily front load a Cousins deal and then sign Trumaine Johnson too.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:12 PM, rdelaney89 said:

No I think because he was on the pup list to start the season his contract rolls into next year.

Bridgewater 2018

I don't want to get into all these hypothetical trades & FA pickup BS. But what I will say is we are a lot closer of being a real playoff contender next year than some people think. With the right draft picks & FA pickups we can do it. It is all up to Mac. I have no idea how this is all going to work out but, it sure will be interesting. The only problem I see is the QB situation, that is our biggest problem, how when & where are we going to get one?

On 12/6/2017 at 11:03 AM, jetskid007 said:

I think we need an impact player. I’d go hard after Bell and a Center.

11 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I'd have no problem with this but I think there are some potential issues timing wise:

Free Agency Starts:

The top FAs usually sign first or will shop themselves around.

I think we'll go hard after Cousins and won't make another big signing until that domino has fallen

Bell could sign a big deal with a team that isn't going after Cousins or he will wait and see what his options are after that signing. This is the same potential fear I have on losing out on Johnson. Our FA will largely depend on if Cousins has a team in mind already or if he wants to be courted by a bunch of teams. I can't get a good read on what he's looking for, any number of teams will make him the highest paid player ever so the contracts probably won't be too far off from one another.

17 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I would not have said half way thru the season, but I see what a player like Bell, Todd Gurley, & Ezekiel Elliot, can do for a teams offensive. So I do agree we do need a impact player.

26 minutes ago, Rich51 said:

Mac has to know we need a center, right? Last year Ijalana was mostly bad yet Mac gave him a large pay increase. I hope that doesn’t happen with Johnson.

Ijalana was given that money before FA, before we knew we'd be able to sign Beachum. My guess is Johnson is retained prior to FA, fans will lose their ****, then at some point during FA or the draft we will address center. People will complain about the Johnson signing saying that we over paid him even though that money wasn't likely to prevent us from signing anyone else in FA. If retaining a player for an extra year as insurance before you get a new center is going to cost us money that wasn't going to be spent elsewhere, I don't see an issue. Now if we are right up against the cap and all of a sudden we can't trade for X player because of a Johnson contract, then I'll be upset.

3 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

Ijalana was given that money before FA, before we knew we'd be able to sign Beachum. My guess is Johnson is retained prior to FA, fans will lose their ****, then at some point during FA or the draft we will address center. People will complain about the Johnson signing saying that we over paid him even though that money wasn't likely to prevent us from signing anyone else in FA. If retaining a player for an extra year as insurance before you get a new center is going to cost us money that wasn't going to be spent elsewhere, I don't see an issue. Now if we are right up against the cap and all of a sudden we can't trade for X player because of a Johnson contract, then I'll be upset.

The thing is.. Johnson is so bad,  you can draft someone in day 3 and get similar impact. Not worth $$$

12 hours ago, K-Ro 25 said:

The thing is.. Johnson is so bad,  you can draft someone in day 3 and get similar impact. Not worth $$$

If we are sitting here with 20M in cap at the start of next season, with Johnson under contract for one more year while we ease a rookie in, something we generally do with every player outside the first round, I will not be shocked or upset.

Point being, if the money is not going anywhere else and by signing him before the draft other teams think we have addressed our center already we are more likely to have a center fall to us. If Johnson's contract allows us to potentially have a center for the next 8-10 years AND the cap used did not prevent us from signing someone else then IMO it was a worth while signing.

** I should include that there is no situation where I believe another team will be bidding for his services. I think Johnson will be cheap and is more than capable to be a backup OL**

Archived