Mike Maccagnan Thread

Jetfan66

4 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

And I think Mayfield is going to bust hard. He certainly isn’t going to be able to step right in and start.

I would take Darnold 100 times before I took Mayfield or Jackson.

That's your opinion. And you have the right to it. I disagree and think Mayfield and Jackson will be just as good if not better.

4 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

What exactly about his game has you so turned off?

I don’t see any reason to take Mayfield or Jackson over Darnold. None. Rosen is the only QB ahead of him.

I agree on Rosen, but I am not sure on the rest, but I am not putting them down either, you never know who is the next top QB, will be.

54 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

What's the knock on Jackson?  I like him a lot but haven't watched this season.

Like all running qbs... can they transition to the nfl. Bc all that running they do in college doesn’t fly in the nfl. Is he good enough of a pocket passer to succeed is the question. And can he run smartly. We’ve seen RG3 ruin his career bc he couldn’t. Mariota is often injured. These are recent examples.

If the next Russell Wilson is out there, you have to take your shot. I don't know if Jackson can replicate what Wilson has become, but even if he does not I think Lamar Jackson can at the very least replicate what Michael Vick did for both the Falcons and later the Eagles.

That's good enough for me.

When you have good coaching, you can often turn athletes into superstars. Morton is a good offensive mind. I salivate at the thought of him having a talent like Lamar Jackson to work with. After turning Josh McCown's career completely around, I can only imagine what he could do with someone like Jackson under center.

1 minute ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

When you have good coaching, you can often turn athletes into superstars. Morton is a good offensive mind. I salivate at the thought of him having a talent like Lamar Jackson to work with. After turning Josh McCown's career completely around, I can only imagine what he could do with someone like Jackson under center.

I imagine the same thing for Rosen, Darnold, Thorson, Mayfield, Benkert or oh even Allen. Jackson's life in NFL will be brief.

36 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

All Jackson does is stand and make a throw. Sound like Division III qb. I don't want to witness Jets drafting him.  I don't care about what if he shows he can thrive in NFL this January or February. Just NO.

What?

57 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

If the next Russell Wilson is out there, you have to take your shot. I don't know if Jackson can replicate what Wilson has become, but even if he does not I think Lamar Jackson can at the very least replicate what Michael Vick did for both the Falcons and later the Eagles.

That's good enough for me.

Lamar Jackson should “at the very least” be as good as prime Michael Vick?

what?

9 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

What exactly about his game has you so turned off?

I don’t see any reason to take Mayfield or Jackson over Darnold. None. Rosen is the only QB ahead of him.

Huge hitch in his throwing motion, surrounded by the most talent by far out of all these QBs, has really been mediocre. Darnold has not stood out, and if your going to play for USC and expect to the first QB taken you need to separate yourself. HIs play hasn't. He is not Andrew Luck, he isnt even Josh Rosen. He simply just inst my first choice.

I am not a huge Lamar Jackson fan either. Way too risky to take a QB who relies that much on his legs. HIs career wont last long unless he becomes a much better pocket passer. Josh Rosen is really the only guy close to being a sure thing and he is just as likely to stay in school. Going to be very interesting in the next months.

You see no reason why Baker Mayfield is looked at as a better QB than Darnold? Not a single one? Like the kids attitude or not, hes simply been better this year and its really hard to argue that. Baker Mayfield can flat out play. I dont know how high I would take him, but the kid goes out and competes and has led his offense who lost a TON of talent to the draft last year to the best offense in the country. There is a ton to like about in comparison to Darnold.

14 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Huge hitch in his throwing motion, surrounded by the most talent by far out of all these QBs, has really been mediocre. Darnold has not stood out, and if your going to play for USC and expect to the first QB taken you need to separate yourself. HIs play hasn't. He is not Andrew Luck, he isnt even Josh Rosen. He simply just inst my first choice.

I am not a huge Lamar Jackson fan either. Way too risky to take a QB who relies that much on his legs. HIs career wont last long unless he becomes a much better pocket passer. Josh Rosen is really the only guy close to being a sure thing and he is just as likely to stay in school. Going to be very interesting in the next months.

You see no reason why Baker Mayfield is looked at as a better QB than Darnold? Not a single one? Like the kids attitude or not, hes simply been better this year and its really hard to argue that. Baker Mayfield can flat out play. I dont know how high I would take him, but the kid goes out and competes and has led his offense who lost a TON of talent to the draft last year to the best offense in the country. There is a ton to like about in comparison to Darnold.

Darnold will be in trouble if offense is called for long developmental plays in NFL.  He can lead Jets all the way with a bunch of short passes. Throw deeper occasionally should be all right for him.  Shortening arm motion and build arm strength over years may be possible.  How guaranteed? I don't know.

Mayfield does long arm action (shoulder level) but he is almost always in open space.  Inside the pocket, for some reason, he is able to get ball off his hand cleanly.  He is quick enough to be a pocket passer but FO has thing for characters.  Someone prays real hard.

Jackson still has habit but we aren't sure whether or not he always opts to run because the offense is designed for him to run. Behind the curtain, I keep hearing he has worked hard to be a pocket passer such as footwork, mechanic and more. It is unfortunate we the fans have that kind of problem with Christian Hackenberg. 

Every qb has own issue but which one is right qb for Jets when the qb situation demands 1st round investment.  Should we wait until 2nd or 3rd round pick to get a "preferable" qb and listen someone keeps saying how non 1st round qbs pan out in NFL history?

Archived