Mike Maccagnan Thread

Jetfan66

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Let’s talk about how good Alex Collins has looked at RB this year and we cut him. Great job Macc. Instead we keep 50yr old Forte on the roster.

How?  I don't remember him being a Jet. Collins is specialized in ZBS. He has no business with Bowles' team.

7 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

It's enough this year because we're young and establishing the culture and foundation going forward. The guys coming in will fall in line and the more talent we add the better we'll be and better our execution will be.

Bowles did a good job this season, sure he could have been better but everyone in the organization could have.

Fans too.

4 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

How?  I don't remember him being a Jet. Collins is specialized in ZBS. He has no business with Bowles' team.

We were signing him to our practice squad after he got cut. Ravens did the same and he chose them. But he told the jets if they have him a roster spot he’d join them. And we didn’t offer that. 

2 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Nope.  He never signed with Jets.  Ravens scoped in and got him.

http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/38515/alex-collins-is-welcomed-but-unexpected-addition-to-ravens-practice-squad

So you go ahead and anger at Macc for not trying harder.

Was just about to post the same thing. He was never on the Jets so your only argument would be that we didn't trade for him before the Seahawks cut him....

1 hour ago, rdelaney89 said:

Was just about to post the same thing. He was never on the Jets so your only argument would be that we didn't trade for him before the Seahawks cut him....

No. We put the same claim in for him that Baltimore did. But Collins did say that if a team would put him in the roster not the PS her choose them. The Jets didn’t do that. He then chose Baltimore over us. I really liked Collins as a draft prospect. And I really wish he was a Jet. Forte should have been cut for a talent like Collins.

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

No. We put the same claim in for him that Baltimore did. But Collins did say that if a team would put him in the roster not the PS her choose them. The Jets didn’t do that. He then chose Baltimore over us. I really liked Collins as a draft prospect. And I really wish he was a Jet. Forte should have been cut for a talent like Collins.

I dont see that way.  Jets claimed him first and then he dropped them for Ravens because there was a shorter path to 53. Jets had no shot. However, if your claim is true then it would be on Bowles, not Maccagnan.

9 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

It's enough this year because we're young and establishing the culture and foundation going forward. The guys coming in will fall in line and the more talent we add the better we'll be and better our execution will be.

Bowles did a good job this season, sure he could have been better but everyone in the organization could have.

I agree for the most part. Im just not sure how much of it has to do with Bowles. But next year we need to see something results oriented I feel like. Whether that’s a certain amount of wins, a top 5 defense, I’m not sure. Another 6 win or less season I don’t think you can keep him under any circumstance.

Im glad we should be able to retain Morton this way though because depending what happens next season he’s an interesting HC candidate. He’s had some head scratching play calls but the offense overall has overperformed. I wish our QB was already on the roster so he could have 2 years under him, but I’m interested in what he does with the QB we bring in. We all want to try the offensive HC for the first time in over a decade, it’d be nice if he was already here.

The big problem with Maccagnan and Bowles is they don't do anything aggressively.  Stay back and collect talent for long term plan.

Last off season, Jets handled FA carefully and reasonably. It seemingly worked out fine for Jets. I can see Jets continue practicing the same method this upcoming off season. Avoid all FA busts as best as they can. I don't consider Cousins a potential FA bust but the price to acquire him will be used in the think tank.  I would be all right if Jets went aggressively on qb and left other position unattended.

Darnold, Rosen and Cousins vs the loss of high picks.  Jets have to accept the loss. That is what I want to witness from Jets. I can't stomach the notion of Jets choosing the high picks over a promising qb solution. I just can't.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Alex Collins Chooses Ravens Practice Squad

What part of Collins in 2016 would lead you to believe it was worth eating the fully guaranteed contract that Forte had this season for a RB that was going to sit behind Powell and McGuire? He's having a great year but it's not fair to use hindsight as an argument when the factors at the time of decision were what they were.

And to cut you off before you say we should have never signed Forte in the first place, I'd like to remind you that you were upset we let Ivory go when he signed 5 years $32M from Jacksonville. So please tell me how we would have gotten Collins if Ivory was sitting here with that contract instead of Forte's deal.

26 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

Alex Collins Chooses Ravens Practice Squad

What part of Collins in 2016 would lead you to believe it was worth eating the fully guaranteed contract that Forte had this season for a RB that was going to sit behind Powell and McGuire? He's having a great year but it's not fair to use hindsight as an argument when the factors at the time of decision were what they were.

And to cut you off before you say we should have never signed Forte in the first place, I'd like to remind you that you were upset we let Ivory go when he signed 5 years $32M from Jacksonville. So please tell me how we would have gotten Collins if Ivory was sitting here with that contract instead of Forte's deal.

I actually really liked the signing of Forte. So don’t put words in my mouth. Clearly you’re thinking of someone else. What I didn’t like about signing Forte was it being for more than a year. I was also completely fine with Ivory leaving. Once again you must be thinking about someone else. What I was and an still upset about is not addressing RB with good young talent. Powell and McGuire while decent options are not anyone scaring a defense. And with no QB, we should have a very good run game. Our OLine isn’t bad, not great. Certainly can upgrade there and that’s where it starts for a good run game. But to have a great RB certainly helps. I’m not saying Collins is a great RB, but I certainly would take him every day of the week over Forte. Cut Forte. Who cares. An old RB shouldn’t prevent us from getting a good young back. If you remember (which clearly you don’t since youve mistaken my thoughts on Forte and Ivory) I really liked Collins in the draft process. I saw Marshawn Lynch in him. I feel this RB committee would be a lot better with a good young RB on the roster.

But Collins was a 5th round RB, I thought only good RB's can be found in the 1st round.  Just goes to show you how easily good RB's can be found, dime a dozen.

This class is loaded with RB talent and good backs are going to be all over the draft.  Rounds 3 -5 are going to be prime for RB prospects.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

But Collins was a 5th round RB, I thought only good RB's can be found in the 1st round.  Just goes to show you how easily good RB's can be found, dime a dozen.

This class is loaded with RB talent and good backs are going to be all over the draft.  Rounds 3 -5 are going to be prime for RB prospects.

Yet we every year don’t address it. McGuire in the 6th Round and the highest we’ve addressed the position in recent years was with Powell in the 4th in 2011. So while you can get a good RB in Rounds 2-5. We don’t do that. We haven’t in 6 drafts.

Archived