Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

7 hours ago, N4L said:

that's the craziest part - what needs to be done is contradictory to all America's natural freedoms. Of course people have the right to 'freak' as you say, but that doesn't mean they should. 

We should be focused on keeping people fed, clothed, sheltered, and healthy. 

I think you're underestimating the long term negative impact on our economy and society from focusing solely on keeping people alive for 12-18 months tbh.  That IMO is a much bigger existential threat to our country than 200k or 500k or even a million deaths of mostly elderly people, as much as both outcomes will be a tragedy for our country and the world.  

Its a balance, doesn't mean you shouldn't do what you can to minimize deaths, but I'm saying the cost to people's lives and economic futures and mental health also has to come into the equation.  And its disturbing to me that increasingly talking about those thing is unfashionable.  Because we've seen what happens in societies that minimize those types of things in the name of collective security and its not pretty

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

A very slippery slope in which some states are starting to take it too far and a lot of the commentary makes it seem as if they want to make certain changes last longer.  At any point when a people say "I depend on my government to take care of me" and not "I provide for myself/my family" we have a major problem. 

We are getting to close to this imo

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Problem is not those who are low risk though, it's that they might contract it and give it to high-risk people - who then have to use the healthcare system. Extrapolate this up and there's a massive f problem (well, there already is). 

I agree it can't go on forever though. There will be some morally ambiguous decisions to make.....

We can see the curve flattening in 3 of those hardest hit countries as of this week, after strict lockdown. So, there does appear to be a light at the end of the tunnel. Populations need to be smart until that time, I would say. (Unlike where I'm from).

Yeah I totally understand and agree with you.  My point is there has to be a limit to what we ask the 99.7% of the population to do to save the 0.3% of the population that would die from this unmitigated, because the cost of the most extreme approach to 99.7% is a lot greater than the cost of remaining life to the 0.3% who are mostly elderly anyway

You can justify lockdown for a period of time to get the healthcare system ready for the next wave, to flatten the curve, but 12-18 month lockdown is a different goal entirely and I dont think people are supportive of that 

• Like 2

Just now, acowboys62 said:

Lol, with the changing laws in NJ, I actually don't even know anymore what is enough with these new real ID requirements.  

thankfully they pushed off the Real ID for planes thing to late 2021.  Maybe we'll all have our immunity certs by then and we wont need to get a new license!  sickening

• Like 1

MoL's dev team is probably going to be working the weekend to make tweaks to our model to account for testing rates

Issue is places like Italy have seen a massive increase in testing over the past week or two which is making it look like progress is much slower than it truly is

We're hoping to have this incorporated by mid-next week

On 2020-04-09 at 1:02 PM, Shanedorf said:

thx for info
Can you offer us any illumination on the concept of "they have to keep flying/maintaining the aircraft vs parking them ?"
I've read that parking these jets is a big challenge mechanically, but I have no background in aviation

It really depends. Short term isn’t an issue. I think what you refer to is taking aircraft out of service. It’s a big job simply due to removing certain equipment, fuel drainage etc.

Two things should happen. First, airlines using old equipment will simply take it to the desert and remove them from service.

The rest it depends on how long the aircraft are going to be parked. It cost about $150.00 per month to park and about 2k per month in very basic maintenance.

If an aircraft is going to be parked for 6 weeks or longer they have to drain all the fluids, seal engines and doors. It’s a more complex process. It also means it takes longer to return the aircraft to service. So it’s more of a resource issue rather than a mechanical challenge. That can change if the aircraft are parked longer and that’s a function of having to manually ensure everything is working. The mechanical checks are time consuming.

Luckily there’s still lots of parking space left in Tucson, Roswell and other desert locations. A number of under used airports will already be parking lots.

Pilot proficiency will be a big problem. Pilots are required to be in command for certain operations and if it doesn’t occur within specific time parameters then they lose currency. The system has sufficient simulator capacity for normal operations however trying to maintain everyone’s currency in simulators will be hard. Not just from from a demand perspective but getting your pilots to simulator locations. 

• Like 2