Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

How am I the only one around here who gets how poignant and fitting The Thing (1982) is right now?

The Thing was released in 1982.  June 5th, 1981, HIV first reported.

There’s an announcement in January that The Thing is going to get remade, and now this.

For anyone who has never seen it, watch it now for some situationally fitting sci fi terror.

• Like 1

I figured this whole thing out btw, I know how to beat it. So the virus typically doesn't have serious effects on children right? So all we gotta do is start dissecting children and figure out why it's not effecting them so we can replicate it in adults....problem solved :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TVScout said:

Have any studies been conducted that checks the infection rates for people who have been taking these drugs since before the pandemic even started?

I don't know.
But many of the existing drugs were used to treat malaria, fungal infections, parasites and other nasty things that aren't a big problem in the developed world.
Its also pretty early on and as we saw with Ivermectin, the dose used to treat those other diseases wasn't high enough to kill virus deep in the lungs so you probably wouldn't see a difference. We may see anecdotal evidence show up in some populations and that will spur additional investigations

14 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

I figured this whole thing out btw, I know how to beat it. So the virus typically doesn't have serious effects on children right? So all we gotta do is start dissecting children and figure out why it's not effecting them so we can replicate it in adults....problem solved :D

Nah. We kill all the old people and let the children survive.

1 hour ago, TVScout said:

Have any studies been conducted that checks the infection rates for people who have been taking these drugs since before the pandemic even started?

Even if the infection rate was lower that could be the result of people who have active infections quarantining themselves earlier or more strictly.

2 hours ago, pwny said:

Anecdotal evidence:

I have a fitness band that tracks heart rate, resting heart rate and heart rate variability and a number of other things. It’s got a sizable community and a couple users have gotten COVID-19 and noticed that their RHR increases and HRV decreases significantly 2-3 days before they start showing symptoms. Is that normal when your body is fighting a virus, or is it anecdotal evidence of heart-related stress?

I'm not sure.
When infected, your body will try multiple tactics to knock it down. I'm guessing heart rate and blood flow are part of the arsenal, but I don't know
Fever and chills are your body making it harder on the bacteria/virus to survive by cycling between "too hot" or "too cold"

I also don't know the accuracy of fitness monitors to pick up QT prolongation, but they are capturing RHR and HRV
In the clinic they use validated ECG instruments that are accurate down to 0 .1 milliseconds and those have 12 separate leads on them placed on your chest, arms, legs to get an accurate picture. And then those results are read by a trained cardiologist.

Anything below a 5 millisecond increase is of low concern, between 5-20 ms increase needs further investigation and 20 millisecond or greater increase in QT interval is likley to lead to arrhythmia's. And as ramssuperbowl99 noted earlier - its often dose dependent.

Here's a pic:

280px-QT_interval.jpg

If you mess with the time-to-reload ( QT interval) , it can potentially have dire effects.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

How am I the only one around here who gets how poignant and fitting The Thing (1982) is right now?

You might actually be the only person that's ever said "am I the only one" when you're actually the only one. Congrats. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

You might actually be the only person that's ever said "am I the only one" when you're actually the only one. Congrats. 

Touché, but I shouldn’t be.  The movie is perfect for the types of paranoia and fear going on right now.