Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

8 hours ago, Xenos said:

I mean our original way was treating it like the flu and thinking that it would just go away by washing our hands and staying home if we were not feeling well. I suppose it was extremely "lucky" that Italy thought the same way as well and became our unfortunate guinea pig.

Curious what you think the plan for Phase 2 will be?  Now that we are in lock down in most places..and short of a magic vaccine, this thing is still going to be around.  So how do you think we can now climb out of a quarantine and not expect to have this thing circulate again? 

4 hours ago, N4L said:

This is officially the most contagious virus in known history, yes? 

Looks like we have successfully flattened the first wave. If nothing else it will give us time to prepare. I just hope it doesn't mutate significantly. Spanish flu came back 2x after it mutated. 

This is time for efficient operations and logistic systems. I hope all of these business leaders step up to the plate.

Bill gates deserves a nobel peace prize

No, it is not. 

Yes, time to prepare.  But first you have to deal with the economic fall out, the massive amount of unemployed, the potentially massive amount of small business that will shut down and the financial ripple impacts in the healthcare system...but yes, history says there are 4-5 months of prep needed on top of all of that before a potential second wave. 

Efficient operations and logistics will ride heavily on the air travel industry (TBD the fall out there), supply of medical equipment (do we move a lot of that out of China?) and the healthcare system (historically not efficient).  I hope they can act quick. 

So he can track us O.o. It is good to see how much he steps up, don't always care for his stuff, but man he puts his money where his mouth is...I wish more people in power and wealth followed his lead.  Mark Cuban is another that during this time was putting out really good content related to small business/bail outs/etc.  

4 hours ago, N4L said:

This is officially the most contagious virus in known history, yes? 

Looks like we have successfully flattened the first wave. If nothing else it will give us time to prepare. I just hope it doesn't mutate significantly. Spanish flu came back 2x after it mutated. 

This is time for efficient operations and logistic systems. I hope all of these business leaders step up to the plate.

Bill gates deserves a nobel peace prize

Melinda too, she's just as sharp is he is.

One of my former co-workers is now working for the Gates foundation in their stats area, and he talked about meeting with Bill/Melinda. It was wild. He had never met the guy before and was part of a team who was briefing him on their efforts to contain local areas from malaria (the reason the stats folks were there was they were basically assigning probability values to where they thought the virus was going to end up). Watching him tell it was kind of hilarious because he's like "so we start briefing him" and then his eyes got wide. Bill skipped the intro and the high level stuff and immediately just starts bombing these super specific questions.

The way he described it was that Bill was the kid you had in your college lecture who never went to class, never had to pay attention, walked into the final, aced it in 5 minutes and walked out except it was at a PhD stats/epidemiology level

• Like 3

4 hours ago, pwny said:

https://apple.news/Ak9w9lZFFSRiTneJylOKnew

French hospitals have also ceased usage, citing cardiac side effects. 

Guess it wasn’t a magic cure. 

2 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

i'm shocked 

Side Effects
Blurred vision, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, headache, and diarrhea may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.

Yes...a medicine with side effects, shocking. 

35 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Curious what you think the plan for Phase 2 will be?  Now that we are in lock down in most places..and short of a magic vaccine, this thing is still going to be around.  So how do you think we can now climb out of a quarantine and not expect to have this thing circulate again? 

a therapeutic drug that can be a cure in case we get sick

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Side Effects
Blurred vision, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, headache, and diarrhea may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.

Yes...a medicine with side effects, shocking. 

na, its the cardiac side effects compounded with the cardiac effects of covid-19

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

What's the trend in the US in terms of the % of new daily cases? Seeing any decrease yet?

When you hear about "asymptotic people unknowingly spreading the virus" do they mean people who have not yet developed symptoms (1-14 days), or people who never develop symptoms? If the latter, this seems to be an extra bizarre virus. Even when looking at people under 60 with no underlying condition, it seems to present itself in wildly different manners. Death on 1 end of the spectrum all the way to a mild cold or maybe no symptoms at all.

It's actually both in this instance.  

8 hours ago, mission27 said:

Also interesting to see New York hit peak on April 8th and apparently had about half the beds and 10% the ICU beds they needed.  I know it was a **** show but it seems they've held it together far better than Italy.  Heroic

When this is all over the medical personnel we lost deserve a memorial.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

I agree with you 100%, it is complete BS that as a country we were told what is and is not essential.  Is a haircut essential for me, 100% no.  Is my haircut essential for my barber who getting close to having to shut down his shop, 100% yes.  My mom, dad and step father were all deemed non-essential...try telling that to their retirement plans/mortgage companies/landlords.  

That is what people have the biggest issue with and that is why many believe shutting the country down was a massive mistake.  Every single one of my parents jobs could have continued with slight adjustments to their operations if only given a chance...hell even tho NJ said hospital construction was essential my dad is still out of work as their union job was forced to shut down their work on a hospital in NJ...go figure.   

My father in law owns a construction company here in Orlando. Fortunately, his business was deemed essential. But I thought we were only keeping, “essential” businesses open that are necessary for life? Who’s defining this stuff? Other businesses should have been given the same opportunity to adjust. Instead, we’re at 700k+ jobs lost and counting with many of those businesses supplying those jobs gone forever. Hopefully the economy bounces back in a big way. The longer this country wide lockdown continues the worse it will get. Depending on the government to handout money is...lol

• Like 1