Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 minute ago, theJ said:

You get a like for that.  I have a mask that filters 0.3micron to 99.99%, for sure in my woodshop.  But if i can get 0.1 micron plus activated carbon to remove organic vapors, i am all over that.

Of course, they're sold out.  But maybe i can buy one in the future.

Check daily, they come in and out of stock pretty frequently.  I have always used their masks because of the reusable nature and they fit so much better, no annoying straps on certain models and I have a beard so the mesh/neoprene feels much more secure.  For some random reason I bought a handful at my local ACE before this all really started and was able to give them to my parents which has been great since I don't love the cloth concept since they are older/at risk. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

So because something isn't done the way you want it to be (or info shared the way you want/whatever you beef with the model is), we should have mods "leaders?" tell non mod posters this is all a bad idea and I guess in essence let the mods dictate the course or the conversations/threads? So a forum lockdown? Sounds familiar.  

muh freeze peach

12 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

What changed? They knew early on that people could be contagious up to 2 weeks before showing symptoms. Now they just realize that more people might never show symptoms?

all the smart people were fired or left or hamstrung and then they got caught with their pants down and had to update their guidance with simple common sense

13 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

What changed? They knew early on that people could be contagious up to 2 weeks before showing symptoms. Now they just realize that more people might never show symptoms?

Again, the CDC explanation:

We now know from recent studies that a significant portion of individuals with coronavirus lack symptoms (“asymptomatic”) and that even those who eventually develop symptoms (“pre-symptomatic”) can transmit the virus to others before showing symptoms.  This means that the virus can spread between people interacting in close proximity—for example, speaking, coughing, or sneezing—even if those people are not exhibiting symptoms.

Whether the change is the "significant portion" increasing, or it has to do with something else like limiting the spit droplets if someone coughs or something, they're telling us what the reason is.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Check daily, they come in and out of stock pretty frequently.  I have always used their masks because of the reusable nature and they fit so much better, no annoying straps on certain models and I have a beard so the mesh/neoprene feels much more secure.  For some random reason I bought a handful at my local ACE before this all really started and was able to give them to my parents which has been great since I don't love the cloth concept since they are older/at risk. 

Thanks, good info.  I'll leave the page up and check it each morning.  Looks like they're about $35?  Hard to tell, since the official website has no pricing info when they are sold out.

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

CDC recommended not to wear face masks of any kind until recently. 

I think the point is that it wasn't an intentional lie.  It has been standard teaching since I was in medical school 35 years ago.

The masks are unlikely to be a panacea as infectious droplets in diseases like influenza, termed lage droplets are on the order of 5 to 20 microns. With stuff like measles, the particles are even smaller. The cloth masks collect gross contamination coming out of the respiratory tract, but a very large number of the droplets in the 5-20 micron range blow through the mask.

People can show that the mask cuts down on the amount of material freely shed, but it is much less clear that they affect the shedding of the clinically important sizes.

I think they are, to an extent, trying anything at this point to try and get control.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

? Is this supposed to mean something to me?

bro we're on a privately owned forum thats been moderated by unpaid workers for its entire existence, picking and choosing whats able to be said on the site.  we accept the ToS.  take the free speech outrage someplace else

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, theJ said:

Thanks, good info.  I'll leave the page up and check it each morning.  Looks like they're about $35?  Hard to tell, since the official website has no pricing info when they are sold out.

I recently bought a M2.5 for the wife at $36.95 and the M1 I got for myself was the same, $36.95.  Comes with a handy little bag which I never used before but in the current environment is nice and useful and 2 of their F1 filters.  Super easy to take apart and clean as needed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mistakey said:

bro we're on a privately owned forum thats been moderated by unpaid workers for its entire existence, picking and choosing whats able to be said on the site.  we accept the ToS.  take the free speech outrage someplace else

Isn't your same anger at the MoL the same exact concept?  Freedom of speech outrage?  If you can't interpret it for its use, don't read it.  What is so hard about that? 

1 minute ago, acowboys62 said:

Isn't your same anger at the MoL the same exact concept?  Freedom of speech outrage?  If you can't interpret it for its use, don't read it.  What is so hard about that? 

because people are looking towards their rankings for actual health information.  if u cant see why looking towards amateurs who have admitted they are not experts for public health info without it being vetted or critiqued is a bad thing, cant help u here buddy

3 minutes ago, mistakey said:

because people are looking towards their rankings for actual health information.  if u cant see why looking towards amateurs who have admitted they are not experts for public health info without it being vetted or critiqued is a bad thing, cant help u here buddy

People are coming here for NFL news and opinions and we aren’t affiliated in any way with the NFL. Guess Webby should shut the site down now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mistakey said:

I can see what you mean.  And i'm not trying to pick a fight here, but...

Even if taken seriously, it's not health or medical information.  It's rankings based on cases/deaths from world of meters and other places.  I can't see how someone could use the information in a way that jeopardizes themselves or others.

Just now, theJ said:

I can see what you mean.  And i'm not trying to pick a fight here, but...

Even if taken seriously, it's not health or medical information.  It's rankings based on cases/deaths from world of meters and other places.  I can't see how someone could use the information in a way that jeopardizes themselves or others.

"oh looks like we're in the clear im gonna go outside without a mask on now cause its may and MoL said the heat will kill the disesase"