Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Trials have been cancelled all over, based off of a cancellation in France.

Again, that is patently incorrect:

The study is a double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled trial that will be conducted in health care settings. After obtaining fully informed consent, the investigator will recruit healthcare workers, or other individuals at significant risk who can be followed reliably for 5 months. 40,000 participants will be recruited and the investigator predict an average of 400-800 participants per site in 50-100 sites.

The participant will be randomised to receive either chloroquine/ hydroxychloroquine or placebo (1:1 randomisation). A loading dose of 10mg base/kg, followed by 155 mg daily (250mg chloroquine phosphate salt or 200mg hydroxychloroquine sulphate) will be taken for 3 months. Subsequent episodes of symptomatic respiratory illness, including symptomatic COVID-19, clinical outcomes, and asymptomatic infection with the virus causing COVID-19 will be recorded during the follow-up period. If they are diagnosed with COVID-19 during the period of prophylaxis, they will continue their prophylaxis unless advised to do so by their healthcare professional until they run out of their current supply of chloroquine/ hydroxychloroquine or placebo at home. They will not collect more. They will be followed up for 28 days (up until a maximum of 60 days if not recovered at 28 days).

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04303507

5 hours ago, mistakey said:

well @SlevinKelevra also has a problem here, so one thats wrong
and no, not every opinion in this thread needs to be subjected to academic rigor- only posts that claim to provide pseudo-research of their own making.  dont be obtuse.

Well let's shut it down because 0.2% of the active thread has a problem with it!

...attempt at some sarcastic humor, we all still good here??

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Hearing reports of protests planned tomorrow in NC and MI about reopening their economies.  I'm also aware of another group mobilizing in Maryland.  We probably shouldn't talk about these in detail because of politics, but it's important to note this is going to be a growing trend and item of discussion.  

There are some tough decisions coming about how we re-open and when.  At least in Maryland, the stay at home order doesn't have an end-date.  However, the courts are by and large suspended until June 5th.  Our neighbors in Virginia have a stay at home order that ends in the beginning of June.  Some non-essential businesses can still practice social distancing or even do virtual meetings still like tax prep unless someone can't use a computer.  Carwashes can open and just not do the interior of the car.  Barbershops can use some level of PPE and can practice social distancing.  Other places can design their shops for social distancing, or already essentially function that way.  Churches are going to be the hardest to social distance, because of packed sanctuaries.  Places where a high volume of people traffic in close quarters likely need to be the last to re-open.  Sadly, that lists includes a lot of things people will want to do and value in their "normal" lives- sporting events, church, movies and shopping malls.  

Are they for the opening or against the opening?  Also, I really hope it is a very spread out gathering...seems like a good way to wind up in the idiot hall of fame if people pack into a mass gathering during a pandemic to protest something that was a result of the pandemic only to contract the virus themselves. 

16 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

This was said...where?  Would love to see.  Pretty sure no one on this forum has told anyone they should not wear a mask.  Some have questioned the guidance/governing of such (along with shelter in place orders) but I have not seen a single poster tell another what they should or should not be doing health wise.  

To be absolutely clear I agree with ac we’ve never suggested this but if anyone is confused:

the MoL suggests complying with government and CDC/WHo guidance in all cases and without exception 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TwoUpTwoDown said:

Man... hearing China's having a resurgence in new infections, as well as Russia, and hearing India is really bad.

But none of that is reflected in their numbers. Idk how anyone can say this is anything but under-reported at this point.

It’s reflected to a point

Chinas numbers are spiking (doesn’t mean they aren’t under reported but clearly they are showing some resurgence as expected) and Russia’s numbers have been horrendous (again could be underreported but they are growing very rapidly).  I think chinas issues are directly linked to Russia outbreak and a large land border and also just a natural outgrowth of China opening back up.

India it’s very hard to say.  When you have a country with over a billion people and not great healthcare the data is kind of hard to use.

6 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Are they for the opening or against the opening?  Also, I really hope it is a very spread out gathering...seems like a good way to wind up in the idiot hall of fame if people pack into a mass gathering during a pandemic to protest something that was a result of the pandemic only to contract the virus themselves. 

They want the states reopened.  At least in Michigan, the plan is to descend on the capital in droves of vehicles.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

They want the states reopened.  At least in Michigan, the plan is to descend on the capital in droves of vehicles.

Bunch of morons

We aren’t that far off.  This sort of crap is only going to make things worse

Ugh

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

This was said...where?  Would love to see.  Pretty sure no one on this forum has told anyone they should not wear a mask.  Some have questioned the guidance/governing of such (along with shelter in place orders) but I have not seen a single poster tell another what they should or should not be doing health wise.  

never said anyone said it, provided a hypothetical situation thats not too farfetched

33 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Bunch of morons

We aren’t that far off.  This sort of crap is only going to make things worse

Ugh

There's a large, private Facebook group in Maryland trying to organize the same thing.  I know that @theJ and I have both made posts about it, but the concern for the economy and economic well-being was going to happen eventually.  I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I know that I wasn't expecting it this soon.