Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

43 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

The NYC pregnancy story is the real game changer today

Idk that its that surprising tbh

Based on what we've seen elsewhere its not far fetched to say cases are about 10x the reported number 

1.3% of New York City has already tested positive so best guess is somewhere around 13% of NYC has been infected

That's about the rate they found in the population of pregnant women (13.7%)

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/nyc-hospital-finds-high-covid-19-infection-rate-but-few-symptoms-in-pregnant-women/2372863/

As far as why they are asymptomatic, pregnant women are both a) not old and b) not men, which are two huge risk factors for serious illness

PGA Tour is rumored to be close to announcing a return June 11-14.  On the heels of this report saying Power Five college football schools stand to lose an average of $78 million if we don't have a college football season.  Some schools aren't going to survive that.  

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/14/power-five-schools-lose-78-million-if-season-is-canceled/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mission27 said:

15% would not surprise me.  That's about what was found in hot spots in Germany.  

Tbh, I actually think its higher

The reason being two fold:

1. That only captures the portion of the population that was actively sick on 'average' day in late March or early April.  Some of those tested may have been infected before being admitted and fought it off and some of them may have caught it after being tested or discharged 

2. If only 15% of NYC has been infected then the CFR is ~0.8% with the potential to grow, which seems too high based on what we've seen elsewhere, but can't be dismissed as a possibility 

Personally, I think its closer to 30%+ in NYC that has been infected.  No definitely not herd immunity level, but its possible another bad wave in the fall in the major hot spots would get us to some level of herd immunity 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

PGA Tour is rumored to be close to announcing a return June 11-14.  On the heels of this report saying Power Five college football schools stand to lose an average of $78 million if we don't have a college football season.  Some schools aren't going to survive that.  

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/14/power-five-schools-lose-78-million-if-season-is-canceled/

Aug. 6-9: PGA Championship, TPC Harding Park, San Francisco
Aug. 13-16: Wyndham Championship, Sedgefield C.C., Greensboro, N.C.
Aug. 20-23: The Northern Trust, TPC Boston
Aug. 27-30: BMW Championship, Olympia Fields (Ill.) Country Club
Sept. 3-7: Tour Championship, East Lake G.C., Atlanta
Sept. 17-20: U.S. Open, Winged Foot G.C., Mamaroneck, N.Y.
Sept. 25-27: Ryder Cup, Whistling Straits, Haven, Wis.
Nov. 12-15: Masters, Augusta National G.C., Augusta, Ga.

Damn that's a packed schedule 

2 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Aug. 6-9: PGA Championship, TPC Harding Park, San Francisco
Aug. 13-16: Wyndham Championship, Sedgefield C.C., Greensboro, N.C.
Aug. 20-23: The Northern Trust, TPC Boston
Aug. 27-30: BMW Championship, Olympia Fields (Ill.) Country Club
Sept. 3-7: Tour Championship, East Lake G.C., Atlanta
Sept. 17-20: U.S. Open, Winged Foot G.C., Mamaroneck, N.Y.
Sept. 25-27: Ryder Cup, Whistling Straits, Haven, Wis.
Nov. 12-15: Masters, Augusta National G.C., Augusta, Ga.

Damn that's a packed schedule 

It's also a lot of travel, I am surprised they didn't try to keep it more regionalized.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

If that's your defense for not understanding basic science and math...

Hey, I understand your frustration with certain things. But no need to be mean about an innocent comment.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Idk that its that surprising tbh

Based on what we've seen elsewhere its not far fetched to say cases are about 10x the reported number 

1.3% of New York City has already tested positive so best guess is somewhere around 13% of NYC has been infected

That's about the rate they found in the population of pregnant women (13.7%)

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/nyc-hospital-finds-high-covid-19-infection-rate-but-few-symptoms-in-pregnant-women/2372863/

As far as why they are asymptomatic, pregnant women are both a) not old and b) not men, which are two huge risk factors for serious illness

Great so now we have to start dissecting pregnant women in addition to children to see why they don't get sick.... Well... Gotta do what you gotta do for the good of the population.

5 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Great so now we have to start dissecting pregnant women in addition to children to see why they don't get sick.... Well... Gotta do what you gotta do for the good of the population.

its still children all along

pregnant woman have children inside of them. Thats why they stay so safe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Coworker’s son is a doctor in NYC.  The stories I’m hearing from them... she said they had to talk him down from quitting last night. Sounds like something out of a nightmare. 

I've been in some hairy situations, but I couldn't imagine doing that work right now. Hopefully he remembers why he started doing what he did and can still find peace in that. He's helping a lot of people and the paycheck should be big.

I've had friends recruiting for Denver and NYC for nurses/doctors. The lowest paying that I've seen is $125/hour with guaranteed 40 hours/week and possibility of overtime for a 12 week contract. I don't know exactly what they offer doctors, but I imagine it's a bit higher.

46 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I've been in some hairy situations, but I couldn't imagine doing that work right now. Hopefully he remembers why he started doing what he did and can still find peace in that. He's helping a lot of people and the paycheck should be big.

I've had friends recruiting for Denver and NYC for nurses/doctors. The lowest paying that I've seen is $125/hour with guaranteed 40 hours/week and possibility of overtime for a 12 week contract. I don't know exactly what they offer doctors, but I imagine it's a bit higher.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/new-coronavirus-has-infected-more-than-9-000-u-s-health-care-workers-11586904265

Every penny deserved.

I do find it interesting though that out of (at least) 9000 cases only 29 have died (0.3 percent).

I'm not a virologist but I thought I read that higher concentrations of the virus getting into your system increase lethality and you would think that healthcare workers would be likely to fall into the category of those finding the highest concentrations of virus cells infecting them.

EDIT:

So when I click the link now it won't let me read it without a membership...odd because it did let me read it initially but for those that can't read it says at least 9,000 healthcare workers have contracted the virus with an average age of 42, nearly 75% are women and 29 have died.

Edited by rob_shadows