Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

40 minutes ago, Blahstoise said:

@mission27 You might get your wish from the UK, Chief Medical Officer has just said they’re going to release recovery figures soon.

Thats good.  their MoL will skyrocket, but it will be more indicative of where they really are.  My guess is it goes up to a 4-4.5 range somewhere near Canada and aobut a week behind the US.  But we'll see.

So due to the virus, someone I know who works as a substitute teacher cannot work.

They recently started the job a little over a year ago and took two vacations since starting.

After applying for unemployment, they were informed they would receive an average of their 2 week salary which due to them not working every single day ended up being $350 every two weeks.

They are unable to file for unemployment because of this which would have been $600 a week.

They are unable to pay their bills with that average salary (which they did not request), so does anyone know what they can do?

I posted this in NFL general but it's also applicable in this thread. Peter King's interview with Dr. Fauci. It's the Lead.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/11/nfl-season-dr-fauci-coronavirus-fmia-peter-king/

Talking to Fauci was enlightening, if only to reinforce what most people in America who care to be informed about this coronavirus are thinking right now: We don’t know the future. Anthony Fauci doesn’t know the future either. Our fate, and certainly the NFL’s fate in 2020, depends on so many things we can’t know now—how long this spread will last, how severe the second wave of it will be later this year or early in 2021, whether we can go into a football season, college or pro, with any certainty it will play out till its conclusion, whether fans will attend no games or all of them this season. I wanted Fauci to tell me, and tell the country, whether we’ll be able to play out the 256-game regular season the NFL just announced, with a February Super Bowl, and some bit of normalcy back in this abnormal world.

But Dr. Fauci couldn’t say, because no one can.

“The virus,” he said, “will make the decision for us.”

Here is a very well done article with very practical advice on how people spread the infection and how to avoid it

Its worth a read
The Risks - Know Them - Avoid Them

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them?

Indoor spaces, with limited air exchange or recycled air and lots of people, are concerning from a transmission standpoint. We know that 60 people in a volleyball court-sized room (choir) results in massive infections. Same situation with the restaurant and the call center. Social distancing guidelines don't hold in indoor spaces where you spend a lot of time, as people on the opposite side of the room were infected.

Social distancing rules are really to protect you with brief exposures or outdoor exposures. In these situations there is not enough time to achieve the infectious viral load when you are standing 6 feet apart or where wind and the infinite outdoor space for viral dilution reduces viral load.

When assessing the risk of infection (via respiration) at the grocery store or mall, you need to consider the volume of the air space (very large), the number of people (restricted), how long people are spending in the store (workers - all day; customers - an hour). Taken together, for a person shopping: the low density, high air volume of the store, along with the restricted time you spend in the store, means that the opportunity to receive an infectious dose is low. But, for the store worker, the extended time they spend in the store provides a greater opportunity to receive the infectious dose and therefore the job becomes more risky.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

It's not entirely up to the virus. That's a weird quote since a lot of decisions will need to be made and a decent treatment could change the decisions

Well it helps to read the entire thing as well. But he is right. It all depends on the virus especially for sports entertainment. Even your statement about treatment relates to the virus.

Edited by Xenos

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Well it helps to read the entire thing as well. But he is right. It all depends on the virus especially for sports entertainment. Even your statement about treatment relates to the virus.

It does, but it also depends how much risk the people in charge are willing to live with

10 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

It does, but it also depends how much risk the people in charge are willing to live with

How much risk is also dependent on the virus and what it does. Read the entire thing with Fauci and King.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xenos said:

How much risk is also dependent on the virus and what it does. Read the entire thing with Fauci and King.

Ok I read it all. What was supposed to enlighten me? He said that a team with 4 players testing positive would have to be shut down but a team with 1 positive could probably keep playing. Who draws the line? What if 2 players have it?

2 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Ok I read it all. What was supposed to enlighten me? He said that a team with 4 players testing positive would have to be shut down but a team with 1 positive could probably keep playing. Who draws the line? What if 2 players have it?

Not sure where the confusion is coming from. He's being nice about the one player and giving some leeway. If there's two, that means it's not an outlier anymore and that the negatives tested are now really positive.