Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

12 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Took three plus months, 83,000 plus dead, fell significantly short on responses as the rest of the world. 

The US SHOULD be better. 

I agree, but we are better than the vast majority of the world.  Its not like we're testing at Brazil or Mexico levels

We are in line with Europe and Canada as you'd expect

And the countries that are doing better than us (East Asia) had a head start and experience with SARS 15 years ago

So it would be great if we'd done a better job and CDC didn't F up the first test but its not that surprising that we are behind a country like China or South Korea and other than those outliers, we're as good as anyone

2 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I agree, but we are better than the vast majority of the world.  Its not like we're testing at Brazil or Mexico levels

We are in line with Europe and Canada as you'd expect

And the countries that are doing better than us (East Asia) had a head start and experience with SARS 15 years ago

So it would be great if we'd done a better job and CDC didn't F up the first test but its not that surprising that we are behind a country like China or South Korea and other than those outliers, we're as good as anyone

It’s a sad day when the US is fine with “as good as others” tbh. 

Piss poor excuse on head start and experience. The US had people on the ground in those outbreaks (SARS, Swine, Bird, Ebola, MERs). The textbook was there. The US didn’t read it and stuck their head in the sand. Hubris ain’t an excuse. 

Im angry the US even let it get as bad as it did, especially with our resources and know how.  And honestly, I have trouble understanding why more people are not as well.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Took three plus months, 83,000 plus dead, fell significantly short on responses as the rest of the world. 

The US SHOULD be better. 

That wasn’t the point but ok man

Just now, animaltested said:

If the barometer for success is barely catching up to Europe three months in, the US truly isn’t what it used to be. IDK am I the only one left holding the US to a higher standard than the rest of the world?

No you are not,  and those testifying in front of Congress this week are delivering that exact message

The Atlantic has been compiling info on testing and lack of testing for months. Here's their critical article on it from May 8th.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/05/theres-only-one-way-out-of-this-mess/611431/

"....experts say that if the country hopes to get its outbreak under control, it must double or triple the number of daily tests. But to an almost astonishing degree, the U.S. has no national plan for achieving this goal. There is no effort at the federal level that has mustered anything like the funding, coordination, or real resources that experts across the political spectrum say is needed to safely reopen the country. "

Caitlin Rivers, a senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, also struggled to articulate the lack of any federal plan this week.
For the past few months, Rivers has helped write a series of reports for the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative think tank, about how to reopen the economy amid the pandemic. But testifying to Congress on Wednesday, she emphasized how little those plans had been followed and how much work remained to be done. The U.S. needs a federal team relentlessly focused on assessing and expanding its ability to test for the coronavirus, she said.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, animaltested said:

It’s a sad day when the US is fine with “as good as others” tbh. 

Piss poor excuse on head start and experience. The US had people on the ground in those outbreaks (SARS, Swine, Bird, Ebola, MERs). The textbook was there. The US didn’t read it and stuck their head in the sand. Hubris ain’t an excuse. 

Im angry the US even let it get as bad as it did, especially with our resources and know how.  And honestly, I have trouble understanding why more people are not as well.

I'm not disagreeing with you that we could've done but at the same time its not 1950 anymore, why would we expect to do any better than western Europe and Canada?  The only difference between us and those countries is the accent we speak English with... I don't feel any safer or like I'll receive better medical care in the US than when I'm in Canada or Germany, in fact probably the opposite in some respects. 

Yes we have more financial and military and technological resources but our healthcare system is no better, our median income is no higher, and our people are generally less healthy.  Could we have done better, yes.  So could Europe.  So could Canada.  So could a lot of places.  I wish we had but I think the narrative that our response to this has been so botched compared to other countries is a little bit overstated tbh.  Nobody in the public health community knew how bad this was until it was too late and every country with very few exceptions (couple nations in East Asia that were hyper prepared for this due to the trauma of SARS) has struggled. 

• Like 2

I do think a major lesson of this is it is very important to take public health and pandemic response seriously.  East Asia was lucky to have learned that lesson in 2003 with a much less contagious virus and it has saved hundred of thousands or millions of lives across that continent.  Europe and North America (other than Toronto) were basically untouched by SARS and didn't learn that lesson, and in fact probably learned the wrong lesson from Swine Flu and Ebola, and that will unfortunately probably lead to more lives lost than had to be the case.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I'm not disagreeing with you that we could've done but at the same time its not 1950 anymore, why would we expect to do any better than western Europe and Canada?  The only difference between us and those countries is the accent we speak English with... I don't feel any safer or like I'll receive better medical care in the US than when I'm in Canada or Germany, in fact probably the opposite in some respects. 

Yes we have more financial and military and technological resources but our healthcare system is no better, our median income is no higher, and our people are generally less healthy.  Could we have done better, yes.  So could Europe.  So could Canada.  So could a lot of places.  I wish we had but I think the narrative that our response to this has been so botched compared to other countries is a little bit overstated tbh.  Nobody in the public health community knew how bad this was until it was too late and every country with very few exceptions (couple nations in East Asia that were hyper prepared for this due to the trauma of SARS) has struggled. 

I get ya, I see ya. Guess I was taking swipes at our inflated ego as a country.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, animaltested said:

I get ya, I see ya. Guess I was taking swipes at our inflated ego as a country.

Yeah that is fair

On the technology and pharmaceutical front, a lot of points for the USA between remdesivir, mRNA vaccine, and big advances in testing technology.  We're still the best in the world at inventing **** which is something to be proud of and ultimately I think that's how we make our way out of this

I'm still waiting for facebook and Apples app and Googles website though... its been 2 months

Edited by mission27
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Guess I was taking swipes at our inflated ego as a country.

Well....we are exceptional in every way  :D

But its not time for resting on our laurels or trumpeting that we're doing more tests than another country. That's irrelevant
The way forward is to understand where/why WE are coming up short and then do something about it in a coordinated fashion.
Everybody wants to re-open and the rate limiting step right now is high quality testing in much higher volume than is currently available 

That's a great short term goal and its probably within our reach over the next few months - while drug/vaccine development moves forward.

• Like 4

For those who want to look at "every other state" outside the tristate area...

Wednesday 4/29: 1,916 deaths

Wednesday 5/6: 1,327 deaths

Wednesday 5/13: 1,280 deaths 

And if you look at 7 day trailing averages we are at the lowest level since April 20th, with the exception of 3 days in late April which were slightly lower.  We are 13% below the peak from 8 days ago.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mission27 said:

For those who want to look at "every other state" outside the tristate area...

Wednesday 4/29: 1,916 deaths

Wednesday 5/6: 1,327 deaths

Wednesday 5/13: 1,280 deaths 

And if you look at 7 day trailing averages we are at the lowest level since April 20th, with the exception of 3 days in late April which were slightly lower.  We are 13% below the peak from 8 days ago.

Importantly this tends to track about 14 days behind cases.  So while cases were 'increasing' two weeks ago in these states and are now 'leveling off' the drop in deaths suggests its really driven by testing and cases have actually been falling outside of the tri-state area since around April 21st, which is also when hospitalizations and ICU / vent usage peaked in most of the rest of the country.

I would argue slow progress (because the outbreaks were not as severe to begin with) hidden by huge increases in testing is a much more believable narrative than all these states somehow seeing a huge spike in cases in late April at coincidentally happened at the same time testing was increasing and that was somehow driven by governors announcing that they'd relax social distancing in early May (which should not effect numbers until mid-late May). 

None of this means we wont see a bump in cases in a few weeks from relaxed distancing, just that the numbers to date are headed in the right direction across the board.

Edited by mission27
  • Like 2