Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

They struck down the six day request to try and negotiate things too.  This doesn't bode well for many of the places turning their stay at home orders into safer at home orders.  

Well, before he left office, Scott Walker did everything he could to take power away from Tony Evers so it wasn't a surprise that the conservative heavy Wisconsin SC overturned the orders. Just pure lunacy. 

The thing that pisses me off the most is the bars IMMEDIATELY opening literally hours after news broke. My buddy text me at 9 and the bar in his town was packed. There's literally no mandates in effect anymore. No 6 ft, no half capacity, nothing. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Well, before he left office, Scott Walker did everything he could to take power away from Tony Evers so it wasn't a surprise that the conservative heavy Wisconsin SC overturned the orders. Just pure lunacy. 

The thing that pisses me off the most is the bars IMMEDIATELY opening literally hours after news broke. My buddy text me at 9 and the bar in his town was packed. There's literally no mandates in effect anymore. No 6 ft, no half capacity, nothing. 

Yeah that I absolutely do not agree with.  You can't go from lockdown immediately to everything open.  This isn't going to end well.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yeah that I absolutely do not agree with.  You can't go from lockdown immediately to everything open.  This isn't going to end well.  

I'm hoping the businesses take things into their own hands and mandate restrictions. My company still is because they've seen it first hand how bad this **** is. One of our drivers died from Covid-19 (he was 74), and over half our employees, including myself, have had the virus. We're basically working as a skeleton crew right now due to it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I'm hoping the businesses take things into their own hands and mandate restrictions. My company still is because they've seen it first hand how bad this **** is. One of our drivers died from Covid-19 (he was 74), and over half our employees, including myself, have had the virus. We're basically working as a skeleton crew right now due to it.

The issue is- if one company does mandate rules people will just 'substitute' and go to a different company/ bar/ barber/etc...It's really on the government to mandate these things. People can't be trusted to do what the experts recommend. It's going to be interesting to see what happens when companies try to force vulnerable people to work. A lot of craziness lies ahead. 

• Like 2

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-05-14/antibody-study-shows-just-5-of-spaniards-have-contracted-the-coronavirus.html

Antibody study out of Spain...key points:

- 70,000 tests administered

-5% of total population has antibodies

-Over 90% of infections have gone undetected by the healthcare system

-33.7% of those with antibodies never noticed symptoms

-Some of the harder hit areas have almost 15% of the population with antibodies

- Areas that weren't hit hard could be less than 2%

-Test doesn't take into account those with active infections

- Study is in line with European countries that state their antibody count is 4-5%

-Fatality rate is between 1%-1.3%. The higher end adds the 'suspicious' deaths.

-Many more adults have antibodies than children

Spain's fatality rate is way higher than the US has predicted. Wonder why that is? The study is much bigger, so it should hold more weight. 

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

The Wisconsin Supreme Court overturned our stay at home orders/plan and denied a stay on the order which opens up the entire state immediately without a single safeguard in place. I literally got numerous texts from "friends" at the bar already. I hope this country burns.

This is a complete failure on behalf of our state. Not only is this going to end up killing a lot of Wisconsinites in the immediate future, but now the precedent is set so that the next pandemic like this means that any order will be shot down immediately.

Wisconsin has decided to make itself permanently defenseless against new pandemics.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

15 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Did Wisconsin see a spike in cases after in state voting?

Yes, and they were able to attribute ~100 cases directly to the voting lines when I last checked (more than a week ago, so that number has definitely gone up). While that number may not seem huge, it represents 1% of the total cases in the state so far. 

But even that is a low estimate, since the bulk of the transmission likely occurred in Milwaukee Country, since that's where the longest lines were due successful voter suppression efforts. Milwaukee Country has seen a total of 4,000 cases, so if all of them occurred in Milwaukee, you're talking 2.5% of the total cases.

• Like 1

It's my understanding that the supreme court decision in Wisconsin doesn't mean the state can't or won't institute measures against the spread of the virus but just that the governor can't do it unilaterally, has to be agreed upon by the state Congress. 

Personally I think that's fine but where the supreme court made a big mistake was in having the outstanding orders expire immediately, the should have let them continue until the state Congress and the governor could agree on a new set of rules.

Edited by rob_shadows

21 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

It's my understanding that the supreme court decision in Wisconsin doesn't mean the state can't or won't institute measures against the spread of the virus but just that the governor can't do it unilaterally, has to be agreed upon by the state Congress. 

Personally I think that's fine but where the supreme court made a big mistake was in having the outstanding orders expire immediately, the should have let them continue until the state Congress and the governor could agree on a new set of rules.

The legislative branch could pass any plan they wanted or could have negotiated with the governor. They didn't, haven't, and have no intention to. The court may as well have told Evers to go negotiate with a brick wall for all the good that it will do.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The legislative branch could pass any plan they wanted or could have negotiated with the governor. They didn't, haven't, and have no intention to. The court may as well have told Evers to go negotiate with a brick wall for all the good that it will do.

I don't know the details enough to really be able to comment on that.

I will say this... This whole situation has shown that there are definitely certain advantages for authoritarian governments.

Well there's something I never thought I'd say 

Not much new in today's free article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/coronavirus/

Not free:

Experiment shows human speech generates droplets that linger in the air for more than 8 minutes

Ordinary speech can emit small respiratory droplets that linger in the air for at least eight minutes and potentially much longer, according to a study published Wednesday that could help explain why infections of the coronavirus so often cluster in nursing homes, households, conferences, cruise ships and other confined spaces with limited air circulation.

The report, from researchers at the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases and the University of Pennsylvania, was published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, a peer-reviewed journal. It is based on an experiment that used laser light to study the number of small respiratory droplets emitted through human speech.

The answer: a lot.

“Highly sensitive laser light scattering observations have revealed that loud speech can emit thousands of oral fluid droplets per second,” the report states. 

Previous research has shown large outbreaks of coronavirus infections in a call center in South Korea where workers were in proximity and in a crowded restaurant in China, and such events have led some experts to suspect that the highly contagious virus can spread through small aerosol droplets. That remains the subject of research and debate, and for now, the consensus among infectious disease experts is the virus is typically spread through large respiratory droplets.

This new study did not involve the coronavirus or any other virus, but instead looked at how people generate respiratory droplets when they speak. The experiment did not look at large droplets but instead focused on small droplets that can linger in the air much longer. These droplets still could potentially contain enough virus particles to represent an infectious dose, the authors said.

Louder speech produces more droplets, they note. The paper estimates that one minute of “loud speaking” generates “at least 1,000 virion-containing droplet nuclei that remain airborne” for more than eight minutes.  

This direct visualization demonstrates how normal speech generates airborne droplets that can remain suspended for tens of minutes or longer and are eminently capable of transmitting disease in confined spaces,” the authors write.

A video showing the laser experiment was circulating early last month through social media even as public health officials were weighing whether to recommend that people wear facial coverings. At the time, the National Institutes of Health cautioned that the research was “very preliminary” and should not be relied upon as a basis for public health measures.

Soon thereafter, however, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended facial coverings in public places where social distancing could not easily be maintained. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/experiment-shows-human-speech-generates-droplets-that-linger-in-the-air-for-more-than-8-minutes/2020/05/13/7f293ba2-9557-11ea-82b4-c8db161ff6e5_story.html

1 minute ago, rob_shadows said:

I don't know the details enough to really be able to comment on that.

I will say this... This whole situation has shown that there are definitely certain advantages for authoritarian governments.

Well there's something I never thought I'd say 

Evers is charged with managing the safety of his state, his plan is in line with CDC recommendations, and the stay at home order is wildly popular in Wisconsin (70% support). The "democratic" response to this would be to have kept the order intact.

I'd argue the two far more authoritarian moves were made to interfere with the succession of power:

1. The lame duck Wisconsin senate voting to remove executive powers after they had lost an election
  2. A lame duck supreme court justice casting the deciding vote to make any executive-driven pandemic response illegal when the state shows overwhelming support for the exactly that
  • Like 2