Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

So then, if this is so clean and easy, why not just separate them? I asked and was given the run-around. 

Probably because it's hard to give commentary without the data next to it.  It would be nonsensical and hard to read.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

So then, if this is so clean and easy, why not just separate them? I asked and was given the run-around. 

Because the commentary is commentary related to and informed by the data? 

How would it be better for us to post opinions not informed by any data or post opinions saying it is informed by data without showing or explaining what that data is?

• Like 1

Just now, mission27 said:

Because the commentary is commentary related to and informed by the data? 

How would it be better for us to post opinions not informed by any data or post opinions saying it is informed by data without showing or explaining what that data is?

I can imagine the vitriol from mbtl would way worse in this case.

• Like 3

That's fair, I wasn't clear. When I say separate, I mean that the data are presented on their own without analysis. (Frankly, if this really is just old cases plus minus algebra, there won't be any required.) Then, any analysis which comes from a ranking would be separate, and if the ranking is needed to make a statement you would call it out. "Based on [data X], Y, Z, A, B, C"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

I can imagine the vitriol from mbtl would way worse in this case.

Why? This IS a football site for **** posting.  If they didnt present pseudo looking numbers that look impressive that give off the idea that they have insider knowledge why the hell would i care what opinions they post? I dont care what anyone else posts in the thread cause they dont pass off pseudo research 

4 minutes ago, theJ said:

Probably because it's hard to give commentary without the data next to it.  It would be nonsensical and hard to read.

The format rams is suggesting is similar to how academic research is presented. 

You have basically an executive summary (the abstract), then all of the data presented without commentary, then your findings (i.e. commentary). 

This is a fine and appropriate format for what it is but is not super helpful for your casual reader who doesn't have the patience or desire to read through a long document and cross reference various sections.  And frankly, many people have complained that our work looks too much like academic research.  So complaining now that we aren't presenting it like academic research seems a bit far fetched.  But I can accept that this is the world rams comes from and the way he prefers to look at things. 

We are presenting it in a format more similar to a blog post, data journalism article, or (shocker) an internet forum post.  Its also similar to how data is presented in a business and finance setting, the world where TLO and I come from.  I think its a lot more digestible for the average person than formal academic research.  But because its clear some are confused by this I will add a box at the top of the MoL clearly spelling out how the data is calculated and make it clear that the commentary is based both on the numbers and other factors. 

2 minutes ago, mission27 said:

The format rams is suggesting is similar to how academic research is presented. 

You have basically an executive summary (the abstract), then all of the data presented without commentary, then your findings (i.e. commentary). 

This is a fine and appropriate format for what it is but is not super helpful for your casual reader who doesn't have the patience or desire to read through a long document and cross reference various sections.  And frankly, many people have complained that our work looks too much like academic research.  So complaining now that we aren't presenting it like academic research seems a bit far fetched.  But I can accept that this is the world rams comes from and the way he prefers to look at things. 

We are presenting it in a format more similar to a blog post, data journalism article, or (shocker) an internet forum post.  Its also similar to how data is presented in a business and finance setting, the world where TLO and I come from.  I think its a lot more digestible for the average person than formal academic research.  But because its clear some are confused by this I will add a box at the top of the MoL clearly spelling out how the data is calculated and make it clear that the commentary is based both on the numbers and other factors. 

I don't mean to be a ****, I get the bit, etc. Just trying to play mediator as best I can man.

tbh @theJ is project management he should be the one managing. I'm supposed to be difficult to worth with and highly opinionated.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

All of this to see how the sausage is made. I called it a month ago. 

Yes, you nailed it! Thats how good science is created! Via critiques and defenses!!!

no one was hiding this tho