Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

8 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

If you're lumping in me w/ this comment, you're dead wrong. I loathe everyone protesting the same b/c the virus doesn't give two bleeps about what you're protesting.

I’m not lumping anyone in with anyone, just speaking in generalities.

Obviously there are exceptions to everything.

It's just going to spread regardless and that's my concern, nothing else. I want this thing gone, period.

I mean, yeah, but I hate to be the one to tell you this but it isn’t going away. This is part of life moving forward.

Webby said to stop w/ the politics so this is as far as I'll take it. Just "clearing" my name in case you harbored those feelings about my stance on this.

Not at all, wasn’t aimed at you.

And I’m not trying to make the argument political, but rather discredit the legitimacy of the “concern” of some people.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not lumping anyone in with anyone, just speaking in generalities.

Obviously there are exceptions to everything.

I mean, yeah, but I hate to be the one to tell you this but it isn’t going away. This is part of life moving forward.

Not at all, wasn’t aimed at you.

And I’m not trying to make the argument political, but rather discredit the legitimacy of the “concern” of some people.

Right on. This was based on our previous conversation so if you don't feel that way, I'm good. I hope you're wrong about it being a part of our life moving forward or, at least, just a lesser problem than it is right now. I looked at my CC statement last night and usually, my commute requires me to fill up my gas tank once a week for work. Come the 24th of this month, it will have been 2 damn months since I filled my tank up (still over a quarter left). That's how often I go anywhere lol. I want my normalcy back, the world's normalcy back, and will continue to do my part while frustratingly watch others not give a flying F.

OK I should probably pay attention to this virtual meeting and not ramble on here so as long as we're good, cheers!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Right on. This was based on our previous conversation so if you don't feel that way, I'm good. I hope you're wrong about it being a part of our life moving forward or, at least, just a lesser problem than it is right now. I looked at my CC statement last night and usually, my commute requires me to fill up my gas tank once a week for work. Come the 24th of this month, it will have been 2 damn months since I filled my tank up (still over a quarter left). That's how often I go anywhere lol. I want my normalcy back, the world's normalcy back, and will continue to do my part while frustratingly watch others not give a flying F.

OK I should probably pay attention to this virtual meeting and not ramble on here so as long as we're good, cheers!

My wife and I both work from home and she doesn’t drive much to begin with (I always drive my truck).  To give you an idea how often we’re filling up her car, we add fuel stabilizer with each fill up 😂.

Definitely haven’t needed gas since mid March.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
Of course we’re good my man!
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

My wife and I both work from home and she doesn’t drive much to begin with (I always drive my truck).  To give you an idea how often we’re filling up her car, we add fuel stabilizer with each fill up 😂.

Definitely haven’t needed gas since mid March.

I had to Google what that stuff was lol. Definitely never had a need for it. I put 20k miles a year on my car. When I first started this job and gas was over $4/gallon, it was insane how much I spent. Working from home though, definitely saved ~$400 for me thus far. No plan to return back to the office in the near future either as we just talked about on my meeting so I'll be doing more of the same for the foreseeable future lol. Silver lining? I dunno... I can usually find em though

Interesting news.

"Eli Lilly, spurred by AI analysis, starts testing arthritis med Olumiant in COVID-19"

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/lilly-starts-testing-arthritis-med-olumiant-covid-19-alongside-antibody-works

"The Indianapolis pharma has kicked off a phase 3 clinical trial testing whether Olumiant can cut the rate of death or the need for ventilation or other oxygen support in 400 hospitalized patients, it said Monday."

This part was really cool to me:

"The idea that Olumiant could work in COVID-19 was raised by artificial intelligence drug discovery firm BenevolentAI."

I thought this seemed familiar and sure enough, it's explained later:

"In a study published in February in The Lancet, a BenevolentAI team suggested Olumiant could not only reduce inflammation but also block the virus from entering and infecting lung cells by inhibiting a protein called AAK1."

I could have swore I'd seen stuff about arthritis medicine having a positive impact on this.

Will be very curious to see what they find out!

12 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

The trade that happens between our countries is based on business principles. You act like you believe the U.S. is doing us a favour which they aren’t. 

That wasn't my intention so I'm sorry if that's how it comes across.  Its a beneficial bilateral trade relationship and alliance for both countries. 

As far as the border being open by September... look, if that's the case, so be it.  I just don't see how anything is going to change between now and September.  I'm not opposed to doing this in a cautious and deliberative way, but right now it seems like there is no plan and that the policy of the Canadian government is we cannot open the border until cases are low and declining in the US and will continue to extend this every 30 days.  And that's not going to happen.  

Got furloughed today and hopefully will be back to work again in September. Keeping positive even though it does suck. More time for mobile games? 😂 

Edited by Xenos

26 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Got furloughed today

Sorry to hear that...and stay positive as you noted above
And since this is a football board:

Its not that you got knocked down that matters, its that you keep getting up

Vince Lombardi

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

Sorry to hear that...and stay positive as you noted above
And since this is a football board:

Its not that you got knocked down that matters, its that you keep getting up

Vince Lombardi

Thanks Shane!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTagg7754 said:

Will be very curious to see what they find out!

They'll find out if they can knock down the COVID19 inflammation with the dose levels already approved for arthritis.
The big question is whether or not it can help the infection from progressing/infecting more cells - that would make it even more valuable than if it only helps when you are at death's door. Its still a worthy tool either way, but hoping it has multiple modes of action including during the early stages of disease

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Got furloughed today and hopefully will be back to work again in September. Keeping positive even though it does suck. More time for mobile games? 😂 

That sucks, man. Best of luck to you and hope it works out in the end.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

They'll find out if they can knock down the COVID19 inflammation with the dose levels already approved for arthritis.
The big question is whether or not it can help the infection from progressing/infecting more cells - that would make it even more valuable than if it only helps when you are at death's door. Its still a worthy tool either way, but hoping it has multiple modes of action including during the early stages of disease

You seem far more knowledgeable than I am w/ this crap but didn't it say it blocks progression of the disease in one of my quotes? What happens w/ the virus if it doesn't find a lung cell to latch onto in X amount of time? Does it just keep bouncing around until it finds one or will it die off? I'm sure a lot of that depends on the health of the human but I'm asking in a general sense.

Since it's in Phase 3 of clinical trials though, I find this to be extremely promising. The best news about it is it's an FDA approved drug that we're fully aware of as far as potential side effects. This would seemingly alleviate the question of how safe the drug is to take, I'm guessing. Logic suggests that but I work in IT so WTF do I know lol

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What other activities that were being restricted are also protected explicitly by the constitution?

Gun ranges closed, gun sales (until the lawsuits were filed) were not happening.  More so the Governor of NJ made a very clear distinction between protests of him vs the current situation.  100% the current situation is more important, but I don't think the 1st amendment deals in level of importance.  

These same people were also protesting (in Michigan for example) and most like minded people had no issue with that.

This isn’t a good faith argument.  This issue isn’t the protests, it’s what they’re protesting, let’s just be honest.

What argument exactly?  Who are you asking to be honest?  I genuinely cannot tell if you are trying to backhandedly say something to me or just talking in general. 

Elective doesn’t mean unimportant, it means it can wait without risking serious complication/death.  

An orthopedic procedure on a wrist is exactly that, even if it’s inconvenient.

Yes, it is elective, but his future income will be cut by roughly 25%...I would not classify that as unimportant but you keep your thoughts on it and I will keep mine. 

51 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

What happens w/ the virus if it doesn't find a lung cell to latch onto in X amount of time? Does it just keep bouncing around until it finds one or will it die off? 

@Shanedorf can deal with the immunology, but I can at least take the easy part.

Yes, if a virus does not infect a cell, eventually it will be discovered by the immune system and destroyed directly. Otherwise, viruses are cleared in feces if the exposure was oral, through the lungs/nasal passages by coughing, or a small amount through the urine.

55 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Since it's in Phase 3 of clinical trials though, I find this to be extremely promising. The best news about it is it's an FDA approved drug that we're fully aware of as far as potential side effects. This would seemingly alleviate the question of how safe the drug is to take, I'm guessing. Logic suggests that but I work in IT so WTF do I know lol

Beyond the phase,  there are a good number of things that determine how promising a drug is/can be. In this case, the biggest issue is the mechanism of action (how the drug works). In this case, the drug reduces inflammation by using a pathway that's already well known in your body (JAK1/JAK2). That's good, since excessive inflammation can make COVID-19 symptoms worse, but it's not directly killing the virus, so the ceiling for this type of drug would be something that is administered to people who are already pretty sick from COVID-19 and really need that symptom relief. Nice to have, but not a frontline drug.

A slightly smaller downside is that since this drug uses a known pathway and there are lots of JAK inhibitors already, that means the maximum effect you'll get with one or two or a million JAK inhibitors is the effect from completely shutting down the JAK pathway. So there's less room for combining different drugs using different pathways to get that desired effect. This is a weird thing to explain, so let me know if that doesn't make sense.

Also, safety is established in Phase 1 of clinical trials, so there shouldn't be any concerns with that once we get to Phases 2 and 3.

• Like 1