Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

With all the before and after school activities, schools are open almost 12hrs a day already anyway. It's completely plausible. Most buildings are open that long. Administrators don't NEED to be there 12hrs every day. No single person NEEDS to be there 12hrs every day. If our education system isn't capable of figuring out a plausible way to keep a building operating for 12hrs a day we have some SERIOUS problems with our education system.

After school activities is completely different than having academics 12 hours a day. The budgeting on that, with currently underfunded schools, is impossible. Administrators absolutely need to be in the building. If a fight occurs at 5PM and the administrators aren't around what are we supposed to do? We dont have the power or authority to handle discipline. The concept is completely implausible, not to mention you bring up after school activities...When school is running 12 hours a day when, exactly, are students going to engage in after school activities?

Why did you stop teaching, if you don't mind me asking?

23 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

With all the before and after school activities, schools are open almost 12hrs a day already anyway. It's completely plausible. Most buildings are open that long. Administrators don't NEED to be there 12hrs every day. No single person NEEDS to be there 12hrs every day. If our education system isn't capable of figuring out a plausible way to keep a building operating for 12hrs a day we have some SERIOUS problems with our education system.

lol

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

After school activities is completely different than having academics 12 hours a day. The budgeting on that, with currently underfunded schools, is impossible. Administrators absolutely need to be in the building. If a fight occurs at 5PM and the administrators aren't around what are we supposed to do? We dont have the power or authority to handle discipline. The concept is completely implausible, not to mention you bring up after school activities...When school is running 12 hours a day when, exactly, are students going to engage in after school activities?

Why did you stop teaching, if you don't mind me asking?

I didn't say it would be trivial to fix, I said it's a problem (the underused facilities) and that a solution is unequivocally "plausible". How many districts have multiple administrators? I grew up in one of the smallest districts in my state and we had multiple administrators that could stagger shifts. 

I quit to join the USMC. I wanted something more "exciting" and thought being a Naval pilot sounded up my alley (it wasn't either). 

Just now, incognito_man said:

I didn't say it would be trivial to fix, I said it's a problem (the underused facilities) and that a solution is unequivocally "plausible". How many districts have multiple administrators? I grew up in one of the smallest districts in my state and we had multiple administrators that could stagger shifts. 

I quit to join the USMC. I wanted something more "exciting" and thought being a Naval pilot sounded up my alley (it wasn't either). 

I think a majority of small schools probably only have a Principal, Assistant Principal and Athletic Director. The whole thing isn't plausible and really doesn't make sense. It's hard enough to keep kids focused, you want them in school 12 hours a day? Half the day will be useless. How do you stagger teachers? What about all the underfunded schools who only have one teacher in a department? How do they balance the budget now, being open twice as long.

It's a very short sighted, not well thought out proposal. Financially it would be a mess and I'm not really sure what the real upside is.

There is substantially more that goes into the decision-making process for re-opening schools.  The same legal issues that took 3-4 months to resolve when schools closed are now manifesting in the inverse.  There are untold legal and logistical requirements and liability issues under federal education law (and in many areas, conflicts with local law) that are not encapsulated in either of the “it’s dangerous” or “back to normal: open the building, do your job, students learn, maybe social distance and wear a mask” rhetoric.

Absent a change of law or reprieve from federal mandates, re-opening schools will sink a ton of school districts because there is no way to universally abide by federal law and safely re-open.

That’s my professional opinion.

Edited by SwAg
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, SwAg said:

There is substantially more that goes into the decision-making process for re-opening schools.  The same legal issues that took 3-4 months to resolve when schools closed are now manifesting in the inverse.  There are untold legal and logistical requirements and liability issues under federal education law (and in many areas, conflicts with local law) that are not encapsulated in either of the “it’s dangerous” or “back to normal: open the building, do your job, students learn, maybe social distance and wear a mask” rhetoric.

Absent a change of law or reprieve from federal mandates, re-opening schools will sink a ton of school districts because there is no way to universally abide by federal law and safely re-open.

That’s my professional opinion.

Nah man, just suck it up like all the other workers did. While you're at it, double the school day. You guys will figure it out, you're smart educators!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:
22 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

The teachers wouldn’t be working 12 hour days. They stay with their class. It’s like that under the current proposal as well. 

So who gets the short end of the stick and works 1-6? What about after school activities?

I think a majority of small schools probably only have a Principal, Assistant Principal and Athletic Director. The whole thing isn't plausible and really doesn't make sense. It's hard enough to keep kids focused, you want them in school 12 hours a day? Half the day will be useless. How do you stagger teachers? What about all the underfunded schools who only have one teacher in a department? How do they balance the budget now, being open twice as long.

It's a very short sighted, not well thought out proposal. Financially it would be a mess and I'm not really sure what the real upside is.

You already quoted and replied to the understanding kids aren't in school 12hrs a day...

As far as staggering teachers, how is that a difficult problem whatsoever? Every industry with multiple shifts deal with MUCH harder scheduling than back-to-back 6hr shifts 5 days a week :)

12hrs isn't twice as long, but of course funding is a significant problem with the US education system. I completely and wholeheartedly support public education funding initiatives. Every dollar spent on education is a dollar well spent in my perspective. And my comment on Betsy was obviously tongue-in-cheek. I was sarcastically replying to @JDBrocks and tacitly agreeing with him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MookieMonstah said:

Dont get me started.

You mean you don't like having your competence questioned by some corporate hack more concerned with quotas than the education of our children?

Edited by Breesus mode
  • Like 2

November is going to be one hell of a month.  Planning on winning lottery by then, living in Maine with no internet or basic cable or even network television.  

This year has made me 100% apolitical.  I am now in the Leave me the **** alone and I’ll leave you the **** alone party.  Running under that ticket 2040.  I will be a benevolent leader.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

You already quoted and replied to the understanding kids aren't in school 12hrs a day...

As far as staggering teachers, how is that a difficult problem whatsoever? Every industry with multiple shifts deal with MUCH harder scheduling than back-to-back 6hr shifts 5 days a week :)

12hrs isn't twice as long, but of course funding is a significant problem with the US education system. I completely and wholeheartedly support public education funding initiatives. Every dollar spent on education is a dollar well spent in my perspective. And my comment on Betsy was obviously tongue-in-cheek. I was sarcastically replying to @JDBrocks and tacitly agreeing with him.

Its a difficult problem because many, many, many small schools only have one teacher in certain departments. Staggering administrators isn't possible, you can't have a Principal in the building 50% of the time. That school day would destroy after school activities, including sports, music, drama.

My school has one Art teacher. If you have 11-12 in school from 8-1 and 9-10 in school from 1-6, which group of kids isn't getting access to art classes? Or are we just going to make the art teacher work both shifts? Sports obviously impossible unless all practices are taking place after 6PM, which I'm sure you understand isn't plausible. I'm honestly confused that a former teacher is having a hard time figuring out why a 12 hour school day is ridiculous.