Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

$30 billion and the same archaic funding model? Go pound sand Joe, that’s a joke. That’s not a solution, that’s pandering. 😂 

@Xenos this wasn’t meant to be directed towards you...I’m just a frustrated teacher. To put things in perspective, OH alone lost almost $800 million in funding for the rest of 2020...3 months of school.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@Xenos this wasn’t meant to be directed towards you...I’m just a frustrated teacher. To put things in perspective, OH alone lost almost $800 million in funding for the rest of 2020...3 months of school.

I totally get your frustration for the reasons you already mentioned. My friend is also a teacher and he feels that he and his peers are essentially being shamed for wanting to protect themselves and children because school isn’t ready to reopen because there’s no plan in place. I posted the Biden article because it’s pandering and generic but sadly it’s the only thing that has been proposed. The other option that seems to be on the table  is to demand to reopen schools with no concrete national plan in place and leave it up to state and local government to deal with the liability and problems. We need to do better. I’m hoping that Biden’s proposal will at least spur the other party to do something better.

Edited by Xenos

12 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I totally get your frustration for the reasons you already mentioned. My friend is also a teacher and he feels that he and his peers are essentially being shamed for wanting to protect themselves and children because school isn’t ready to reopen because there’s no plan in place.

Every politician is taking the “local schools have jurisdiction” approach to pass the buck and CYA instead of caring about staff or kids. FACT. It’s nauseating.

I posted the Biden article because it’s pandering and generic but sadly it’s the only thing that has been proposed. 

I personally hope you’re right about kick starting dialogue, but I fear it’s a political talking point on “See, I have a plan. Where’s your plan????” Pay no attention to how over 50% of that would be spent on technology only, not even coming close to sanitation and staffing/building protocols for social distancing, masks for staff and students, sick leave, etc, and that’s just posturing at this point.

The other option that seems to be on the table  is to demand to reopen schools with no concrete national plan in place and leave it up to state and local government to deal with the liability and problems. We need to do better. I’m hoping that Biden’s proposal will at least spur the other party to do something better.

See above...hopefully I’m making sense here. I’m just frustrated. Also, we are starting August 10. Earliest district to start in the state, maybe the nation.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Every politician is taking the “local schools have jurisdiction” approach to pass the buck and CYA instead of caring about staff or kids. FACT. It’s nauseating.

I personally hope you’re right about kick starting dialogue, but I fear it’s a political talking point on “See, I have a plan. Where’s your plan????” Pay no attention to how over 50% of that would be spent on technology only, not even coming close to sanitation and staffing/building protocols for social distancing, masks for staff and students, sick leave, etc, and that’s just posturing at this point.

See above...hopefully I’m making sense here. I’m just frustrated. Also, we are starting August 10. Earliest district to start in the state, maybe the nation.

It totally makes sense that you’re frustrated. I would be stressed AF and beyond pissed off. 

Is anything in this article below feasible or is it all rhetoric as well? Just trying to think if it’s possible at all or should we just concede and punt until a vaccine comes out in hopefully January like others in this thread have mentioned.

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/15/891598558/is-school-safe-will-districts-test-for-covid-19-answering-back-to-school-questio

Edited by Xenos

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

“Every”

The vilifying of teachers is certainly sad to see. I have no issue going to school IF we have safe protocols in place. Right now New Hampshire isn't mandating masks and isn't offering anything in the way of helping us provide PPE and safety protocols. I understand other people have to go to work...but they've been given safety protocols and most stores are now requiring shoppers to wear masks.

I don't want to be stuck in rooms with 20 kids for 8 hours a day with none of them wearing masks. In a stale room, with no air circulation and one window.

3 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

The vilifying of teachers is certainly sad to see. I have no issue going to school IF we have safe protocols in place. Right now New Hampshire isn't mandating masks and isn't offering anything in the way of helping us provide PPE and safety protocols. I understand other people have to go to work...but they've been given safety protocols and most stores are now requiring shoppers to wear masks.

I don't want to be stuck in rooms with 20 kids for 8 hours a day with none of them wearing masks. In a stale room, with no air circulation and one window.

It takes guts to do that without a pandemic

Just to be clear, no President can change the design of the educational funding system because it was fundamentally created with legislative power, even if overseeing that system was delegated to an agency.  I’m not saying this to discourage outrage, but rather direct the outrage to the appropriate position.

Genuine change will come from sustained pressure on the legislature.  Every executive action, even the best laid plan, will be akin to stitching an open wound with bubble gum tape until there is a change in the laws that constrain action.  

Even after considering the proposal was constrained by existing law, the Biden proposal is still underwhelming because it’s “safe,” as in: all the things I would do to improve it would result in a case in front of the SCOTUS arguing about executive action incompatible to legislative edict.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SwAg said:

Just to be clear, no President can change the design of the educational funding system because it was fundamentally created with legislative power, even if overseeing that system was delegated to an agency.  I’m not saying this to discourage outrage, but rather direct the outrage to the appropriate position.

Genuine change will come from sustained pressure on the legislature.  Every executive action, even the best laid plan, will be akin to stitching an open wound with bubble gum tape until there is a change in the laws that constrain action.  

Even after considering the proposal was constrained by existing law, the Biden proposal is still underwhelming because it’s “safe,” as in: all the things I would do to improve it would result in a case in front of the SCOTUS arguing about executive action incompatible to legislative edict.

I think it's easy to ignore the most important part: it's a plan. Like, a real one. With words that someone wrote down.

• Like 1

I’ll just delete my response to your “every” comment and quote this instead.

The good news is, by the time you get in front of SCOTUS, it’s impact on you/your client(s) and me will already have been done, but at least we will be seen as pioneers for the next generation. See: Brown vs Board

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I think it's easy to ignore the most important part: it's a plan. Like, a real one. With words that someone wrote down.

I’m refusing to engage with this because the last 4 years have been a twilight zone episode and therefore I refuse to allow my career, my expectations, and my excitement to be controlled by “This guy has a plan”.