Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

5 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Looks like some of the worst places have started to level off the last few days.  Would be great to see if that continues to be the case although it could also be testing hitting its ceiling.

Since the CDC isn't getting the data directly, anything that comes out needs to be taken with a mountain of salt.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Since the CDC isn't getting the data directly, anything that comes out needs to be taken with a mountain of salt.

Trump, probably: "iT wOrKeD fOr cHiNa"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

People don’t need a one time lump sum, they need extended increased unemployment benefits and the like.

Many people are flat out of work due to restrictions and tossing them a grand isn’t an actual solution to the problem.

No kidding..

I was placed on furlough at the beginning of the pandemic and then two days ago my restaurant finally laid me off. If you guys saw anything about the "moldy jam bucket" from Sqirl in LA, that's the restaurant.. so now not only do I feel unsafe even working in a restaurant any time soon there are obviously no jobs to be had anyway. So unless Congress gets its act together and stops placing the burden firmly on working people themselves, I guess it's time for a career change!

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Zukhyubern said:

No kidding..

I was placed on furlough at the beginning of the pandemic and then two days ago my restaurant finally laid me off. If you guys saw anything about the "moldy jam bucket" from Sqirl in LA, that's the restaurant.. so now not only do I feel unsafe even working in a restaurant any time soon there are obviously no jobs to be had anyway. So unless Congress gets its act together and stops placing the burden firmly on working people themselves, I guess it's time for a career change!

So sorry man, hang in there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

I cannot believe that the Florida teacher’s union had to sue just to protect themselves against the sheer stupidity of reopening schools amidst a pandemic. But sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/07/20/893232710/florida-teachers-sue-to-block-school-coronavirus-reopening-mandate

I mean, it’s Florida so damn near anything is plausible, but yeah.

10 hours ago, theJ said:

More and more businesses are starting to jump on that train.  Home Depot and Lowes as well.

I know there's been a lot of anti-mask talk in this thread, but i'm honestly not seeing it in the public.  At church it's probably 95% mask usage.  At Menards, 100% (it's mandatory).  When i pick up food anywhere, 95%.  This is in some rural areas too.

Some of this could be location specific, but i do suspect that a lot of the push back seen on the internet comes from A) the squeaky wheel and B) lots of bots.  I don't think there's truly a 50/50 divide in this country.  Seems to be much more slanted toward pro-mask.

EDIT: And that seems to be reflected in the recent numbers.  I think we'll see cases start to dip again over the next few weeks.  After schools open, who knows.  But for now, it's looking better.

Church is mandatory for us to wear them, even we we had it outside.  One lady didn't wear one, but I guess it was a health issue.  One of our staff members talked to here quietly and everything seemed to be OK.  When she got up and moved around she wore it.  In Maryland where we've been masked since April, I see people complaining about it online but I rarely see people not wearing them.  

Also in Maryland, it seems that most school jurisdictions are going back virtual at least to start.  Most places are torn between first quarter and semester virtual, but I see no need to say first semester to start, even if we eventually get there.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

People don’t need a one time lump sum, they need extended increased unemployment benefits and the like.

Many people are flat out of work due to restrictions and tossing them a grand isn’t an actual solution to the problem.

I'm stuck between people being offered to return to jobs and saying no, which the state of MD says will disqualify you from receiving benefits immediately.  No one is certifying workplaces as safe to return, which is a tipping point for me here.  

Meanwhile, we just uncovered a massive fraud for unemployment claims taking over $500 million.  

I definitely think we need to do more for lower incomes.  Why I received the full $1200 is ridiculous.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

we just uncovered a massive fraud for unemployment claims taking over $500 million

That's just the fraud we know about 

There are nefarious characters afoot. No one gives a **** about the law, including the people enforcing it. People have realized the general law of the land that keeps us all in line has degraded to a point they can do whatever the f*** they want because we clearly don't have a handle on s***

We don't need another stimulus package, we just need to extend unemployment and spend money on healthcare and education. Those three things should be no brainers and yet Congress took a goddamn 2 week vacation 2 f****** weeks before the deadline and now are gonna squabble about specifics within private industries. It's a travesty. The government needs to ensure proper benefits are available by going direct to the consumer. It's the only way. 

Trump would have spent some money on infrastructure 4 years ago if he gave a ****, but it still would have been better late than never if he started like 3 months ago, now it seems like it'll be never since he realizes he's going to lose and is just gonna **** us in the *** for the next 6 months. Goddamn ****. Outdoor construction jobs to help the American economy, no brainier. What is the hold up? 

I'm still flabbergasted at the idea it took him THIS LONG to wear a mask and call it Patriotic. That's the thing that pisses me off the most about these anti maskers, wearing the mask is what is best for your fellow American, yet you spew 'it's my constitutional right' as if you actually have a f****** clue what tf it means to be an American, and without realizing that the only path to "opening up" is wearing a mask. It took this guy 4 whole months to let someone take his picture wearing a mask. 4 months. I've been saying wearing a mask might be the most "American" thing you can do, in the sense we were taught as kids that America is Utopia where everyone gets along, and also the most "American" thing you can do is not wear a mask and be hella selfish, arrogant, and ignorant. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I'm stuck between people being offered to return to jobs and saying no, which the state of MD says will disqualify you from receiving benefits immediately.  No one is certifying workplaces as safe to return, which is a tipping point for me here.  

Meanwhile, we just uncovered a massive fraud for unemployment claims taking over $500 million.  

I definitely think we need to do more for lower incomes.  Why I received the full $1200 is ridiculous.  

I hear ya.  If you’re making more by not working than by going back, perhaps we need to look at what people are paid here, but that’s a different topic for a different day.

They need to allow people to return and guarantee them at 5-600 weekly.  Asking a server to go back to work and have 4 tables all day because no one wants to dine in/reduced seating capacity is a big ask.  When you reduce capacity at restaurants by half, you either have a bunch of servers making half what they did before or half of them not working.

There are also people in jobs that made a hell of a lot more than $600 per week whose work simply stopped. These people have mortgages, car payments, kids, etc.  They’d love to be able to go back to work.

• Like 4