Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

So are they good on testing capability now? Anyone can get a test that wants one?

Honestly I'd feel dumb getting tested unless I had major symptoms or new that I was exposed to someone who had it.  I don't know if I've gone 2 weeks without some sort of symptom since this all began

I'm not sure exactly how it works, tbh.  If you want tested, you pick the location, then fill out the form online to register for a time slot.  The form asks about your symptoms, then tells you if you qualify to be tested.  I don't know what disqualifies you from getting tested though.

12 minutes ago, theJ said:

Getting tested is super easy, at least now.  I can't speak for May timeframe.  It literally took 4 minutes, plus my drive time.  I didn't have to get out my car.

This is also the issue. We've come A LONG way since May in terms of knowledge, testing, and whatnot. Back then what was I going to get if I did have covid? A checkmark stating I have it and a mark in a column. I was already isolating w/ my wife and only her, I never go anywhere or see anyone so I wasn't going to infect other people. At least now we can test easily and there's more knowledge of treating it or making it more tolerable if symptoms start getting bad. Back then all I heard was "drink Gatorade"..... so I did lol. I've bought so much damn Gatorade since this started. I do the G2 stuff though b/c I stay away from excess sugar.

11 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

So are they good on testing capability now? Anyone can get a test that wants one?

Depends where you live, some are and some aren’t.

Some places anyone can go and it’s easy, others require being symptomatic or having a known exposure.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I glossed over this, holy moly - really

Hospitals didn't exceed capacity, but to say they didn't get overwhelmed is so off center.

Cmon, we all know the fear was the hospital system would be overwhelmed to the point that they would not be able to provide treatment for all the patients, that we would run out of ventilators, not that they wouldnt be short staffed, especially when many are already running short on staff.  Those things did not happen.  We flattened the curve.  Yay us.  And while I do encourage people to wear masks in public, as I do, I think mandatory masks are a violation of our constitutional rights bc they are.  Most of these states are violating their own state constitutions with many of these orders.  We have never put the onus on the general public to protect the small fraction of people like this.  If you yourself wear a mask, stand 6 feet away from other people and wash your hands regularly, there is very little chance of you contracting the virus. (Again not saying I dont take the virus seriously, I have elderly parents, I very much do)  it's not my job to ensure you dont contract the virus, just as it's not your job to ensure I dont.  So yeah, as someone who puts the constitutional liberty I took an oath to protect as a very high priority I dont like government mandates such as mandatory masks. 

As for the Georege Floyd thing, Minnesota, unlike Colorado, doesnt differentiate from death with covid and death from covid in their reporting metrics.  So George Floyd is included in the 180,000 covid deaths, reasons like that are specifically why Dr.  Birx estimates overreporting by at least 25%, and she is you know, the ranking expert on the task force.

7 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Cmon, we all know the fear was the hospital system would be overwhelmed to the point that they would not be able to provide treatment for all the patients, that we would run out of ventilators, not that they wouldnt be short staffed, especially when many are already running short on staff.  Those things did not happen.  We flattened the curve.  Yay us.  And while I do encourage people to wear masks in public, as I do, I think mandatory masks are a violation of our constitutional rights bc they are. 

Which constitutional right specifically does this infringe upon?

Most of these states are violating their own state constitutions with many of these orders.  We have never put the onus on the general public to protect the small fraction of people like this.  If you yourself wear a mask, stand 6 feet away from other people and wash your hands regularly, there is very little chance of you contracting the virus. (Again not saying I dont take the virus seriously, I have elderly parents, I very much do)  it's not my job to ensure you dont contract the virus, just as it's not your job to ensure I dont.  So yeah, as someone who puts the constitutional liberty I took an oath to protect as a very high priority I dont like government mandates such as mandatory masks. 

How is a mask mandate any more a violation of a right than a mandate to cover your dong in public?  It’s cloth over a body part.  What’s the difference?

As for the Georege Floyd thing, Minnesota, unlike Colorado, doesnt differentiate from death with covid and death from covid in their reporting metrics.  So George Floyd is included in the 180,000 covid deaths, reasons like that are specifically why Dr.  Birx estimates overreporting by at least 25%, and she is you know, the ranking expert on the task force.

Ok, can you source this please?  That’s what we’re asking for, not your explanation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Why do people smoke?  Why are people 350 pounds?  People do dumb stuff. I’ve taken care of someone on an insulin drip in an ICU due to DKA and walked in on them eating a candy bar and drinking a 20oz Coke. On. An. Insulin. Drip.

And let’s be honest, many people don’t even think this is a thing.  If you think it’s a hoax, are you going to then go get tested?

Unreal what people will (or won't) do for the sake of their own health.  Pathetic that resources get put towards individuals like that.  Imagine if we could reallocate between that and people who need. 

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Right now it's just congestion.  No other symptoms really.  I don't think it's COVID, honestly.

We didn't really have a choice.  My wife is a teacher.  Our options were: she quits her job, or i quit my job.  Some choice eh?

3 year olds are enrolled in school? Is that pre-k or something?

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

How is a mask mandate any more a violation of a right than a mandate to cover your dong in public?  It’s cloth over a body part.  What’s the difference?

He is right though.  He's wrong, but he's right.  There isn't even a law saying you have to wear certain amounts of clothes anywhere, and it's only state by state laws that keep people wearing clothing in public.  Also, private property and businesses are the ones that mandate clothing.  The only law about wearing clothes is related to morality and nudity. 

So people who use, "You have to wear clothes, why shouldn't you have to wear a mask," really should go for something different because I'm sure a lawyer could make a case how a mask is different from clothes, and clothes aren't even required by law.  Maybe use things dealing with safety in the counter response.  "You have to wear a seat belt," is a much better response to the mask thing.  I'm sure people at first were pissed about having to wear seatbelts and I'm sure they were saying that was a violation of their Constitutional rights, too.

2 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Unreal what people will (or won't) do for the sake of their own health.  Pathetic that resources get put towards individuals like that.  Imagine if we could reallocate between that and people who need. 

It’s frustrating for sure, but most of us have some bad habits that we know aren’t healthy.

I try not to judge too harshly, but some extreme stuff like that makes it hard not to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

He is right though.  He's wrong, but he's right.  There isn't even a law saying you have to wear certain amounts of clothes anywhere, and it's only state by state laws that keep people wearing clothing in public.  Also, private property and businesses are the ones that mandate clothing.  The only law about wearing clothes is related to morality and nudity. 

So people who use, "You have to wear clothes, why shouldn't you have to wear a mask," really should go for something different because I'm sure a lawyer could make a case how a mask is different from clothes, and clothes aren't even required by law.  Maybe use things dealing with safety in the counter response.  "You have to wear a seat belt," is a much better response to the mask thing.  I'm sure people at first were pissed about having to wear seatbelts and I'm sure they were saying that was a violation of their Constitutional rights, too.

Funny how I said this same thing and was completely ignored.  Pants are not actually a law guys, so should we start a "befree" movement? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s frustrating for sure, but most of us have some bad habits that we know aren’t healthy.

I try not to judge too harshly, but some extreme stuff like that makes it hard not to.

I am with you, and I agree completely.  You'd think I would kick cigars during a pandemic, but if anything I increased them so shame on me should something happen.  I think personally, if my wife was not a NP and I never saw the frustration of these extreme situations, I probably would not care, but since it impacts her which impacts me I get all worked up.  Funny thing is I am a believe in staying out of other people's affairs but blatant disregard for health just drive me nuts (even if I do it as well).

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

But there are laws requiring it.  If I walk around with my wiener dangling I can be arrested/ticketed and likely refused service at literally every business. This should be no different.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

This is a good response.  And yes, people hated seat belts too.  I’m sure the anti mask stance will age every bit as gracefully as the anti seatbelt one.

I’m still curious as to what specific right is being violated though?

46 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Cmon, we all know the fear was the hospital system would be overwhelmed to the point that they would not be able to provide treatment for all the patients, that we would run out of ventilators, not that they wouldnt be short staffed, especially when many are already running short on staff.  Those things did not happen.  We flattened the curve.  Yay us.  And while I do encourage people to wear masks in public, as I do, I think mandatory masks are a violation of our constitutional rights bc they are.  Most of these states are violating their own state constitutions with many of these orders.  We have never put the onus on the general public to protect the small fraction of people like this.  If you yourself wear a mask, stand 6 feet away from other people and wash your hands regularly, there is very little chance of you contracting the virus. (Again not saying I dont take the virus seriously, I have elderly parents, I very much do)  it's not my job to ensure you dont contract the virus, just as it's not your job to ensure I dont.  So yeah, as someone who puts the constitutional liberty I took an oath to protect as a very high priority I dont like government mandates such as mandatory masks. 

*1 of the many fears, along with it being a novel virus, no idea on the actual mortality, no idea on the long term impacts, no end in sight, freakish ability to transmit, unknown causes of transmission, loss of job, life, food sources...this was a not a situation where there was 1 hurdle to overcome, it is a series of about 10,000 hurdles back to back to back. 

I am all about liberty and less Government but this just is not the right approach here.  I agree completely it not my responsibility to make sure you are healthy, I will never argue that, but it is 100% my responsibility to not cause you or anyone else harm in any fashion, and if that includes rocking a mask to go grocery shopping, so be it (and I hate the mask). Stop looking at this as you don't have to help your neighbor and rather, you should not hurt your neighbor, difference is big. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Funny how I said this same thing and was completely ignored.  Pants are not actually a law guys, so should we start a "befree" movement? 

I never said it was a law (federal), I said it’s no more of a violation of a right.

The same people objecting to mask are completely ok with pants being required by businesses (or local governments) and those rules being enforced.  If someone was buck necked and walked into Walmart and was kicked out, people would chuckled and think “what an idiot” or “I hope he gets some help”, not “they’re violating that fellas rights!”.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I never said it was a law, I said it’s no more of a violation of a right.

The same people objecting to mask are completely ok with pants being required by businesses (or local governments) and those rules being enforced.  If someone was buck necked and walked into Walmart and was kicked out, people would chuckled and think “what an idiot” or “I hope he gets some help”, not “they’re violating that fellas rights!”.

Agreed, never understood the its my right argument.  If that is the case my rights are infringed every time I stop at a stop sign, drive on the right side of the road, do the speed limit.  When I posted what I did pages and pages ago it was more to show, in my opinion, people are more accepting of a private business or even local governments giving them guideline/restrictions as opposed to the federal government.  At the end of the day, a pandemic shouldn't even be in the conversion as it related to who said what but sadly it is. 

Decided to do some quick digging, from the constitution below.  What a crappy section, but I am sure a good constitutional lawyer could argue "general welfare" of the US would include masks during a pandemic.  Masks are not a rights issue. 

Section 8, Clause 1
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defense and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

Edited by acowboys62
  • Like 1