Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 hour ago, WizeGuy said:

Interesting concerns raised here:

https://www.businessinsider.com/infectious-disease-expert-on-waiting-on-pfizers-vaccine-data-2020-11

Does the vaccine prevent infection or just symptoms? 

Skepticism is good- and until they release the data- many legitimate questions remain
On the flip side, the FDA and the 3rd party data review teams have seen the data and allowed the trials to continue
That means they didn't see any safety issues and the efficacy was non-futile ( it works on some level)

14 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I can see those being palletized and flown wherever. The issue would be if it needed power. I know some cargo planes are still equipped to transport Iron Lungs, so I wonder if something could be done to use that power source. I don't know the requirements for either, but it's an idea. I would guess though that liquid nitrogen would be used. But it is a Class 2 hazard, so there are limitations. There's also a waiver for damn near anything if it comes down to it.

Those freezer units wouldn't be used for transport because they suck a lot of electricity and need a constant power supply. Those will be the storage units on site in the various facilities. For transport, they use liquid nitrogen Dewars like this one below. Fed Ex, UPS, World Courier and others have been flying these all over the world for years. When somebody gets a stem cell transplant or bone marrow transplant- the cells are shipped in these units filled with liquid nitrogen and then stored in the ultra-low freezers we saw above.

Worthington_LD50.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

and one more, this from the New York Times

"Even before any vaccine becomes widely available, virus treatment is already improving, thanks to earlier diagnoses and drugs like dexamethasone and remdesivir. The Food and Drug Administration granted emergency authorization yesterday to an Eli Lilly treatment that doctors recently gave to Chris Christie, the former New Jersey governor.

The improving quality of treatments is evident in the death rate: Only about 1.5 percent of diagnosed cases have been fatal in recent weeks, compared with 1.7 percent in late July and early August, and 7 percent during the virus’s initial surge in the early spring."

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

"Even before any vaccine becomes widely available, virus treatment is already improving, thanks to earlier diagnoses and drugs like dexamethasone and remdesivir. The Food and Drug Administration granted emergency authorization yesterday to an Eli Lilly treatment that doctors recently gave to Chris Christie, the former New Jersey governor.

The improving quality of treatments is evident in the death rate: Only about 1.5 percent of diagnosed cases have been fatal in recent weeks, compared with 1.7 percent in late July and early August, and 7 percent during the virus’s initial surge in the early spring."

Supplemental:

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-authorizes-monoclonal-antibody-treatment-covid-19

2 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Let's hope it's the law of unintended consequences given the extended quarantine time, which we know scientifically isolation has major impacts on.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I'll be getting the COVID vaccine, but I'm not going to be in the first wave of people who stand in line to get it. I'm taking the "wait and see" approach to make sure it's completely safe and effective. Since my family has already had it, I've got the luxury of having a little time.

The pediatric portion of the vaccine is more or less what I'm intrigued to see. 

*Note*

I'm 100% in favor of vaccinating my children/have them vaccinated, including annual flu shots, so please don't read into my comments above.

No offense but wouldn't it make sense to prioritize people not in your situation? I'm assuming if you've confirmed had it, your name is in a database somewhere and you would assume those whose names aren't in said database should be first in line anyway. I honestly don't know how this will go down but logic just says "if you don't have immunity, you should be first in line" and also factor in professions (healthcare, first responders, etc etc).

42 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Holy ****, I didn't realize it was 7% at first!! I hope it doesn't gain strength in the winter months that are coming but hell, I hope it never comes w/ this brilliant weather we've had in Ohio lately. 

5 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

No offense but wouldn't it make sense to prioritize people not in your situation? I'm assuming if you've confirmed had it, your name is in a database somewhere and you would assume those whose names aren't in said database should be first in line anyway. I honestly don't know how this will go down but logic just says "if you don't have immunity, you should be first in line" and also factor in professions (healthcare, first responders, etc etc).

I'm envisioning 25% of this country with the phrase "I'm assuming if you've confirmed had it, your name is in a database somewhere".

1A5X.gif

16 minutes ago, TVScout said:

And this is great b/c it's for mild to moderate cases where most treatments are for those already hospitalized. This is what we've really been needing as we need to keep people out of the hospital. The question is; how easy is it to scale this product? I'm sure EL will give everyone the blueprints so hopefully, if it can be scaled, it is ASAP. I still worry about the winter months and people's refusal to accept this thing as a problem in our country as evident by rushing fields, mass gatherings all over the country, and the amount of people I see on my FB feed just going out in groups for dinner and bars. 

Ridiculous.....

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I'm envisioning 25% of this country with the phrase "I'm assuming if you've confirmed had it, your name is in a database somewhere".

1A5X.gif

Yeah I just assume that they are keeping track of those who had it but I've never even got swabbed yet so I'm naive.

I didn't realize you had it either. If you announced it in here, I didn't come into this thread for like a month when the news was all ****. Hopefully it wasn't too bad on you and the family.

1 minute ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Yeah I just assume that they are keeping track of those who had it but I've never even got swabbed yet so I'm naive.

I didn't realize you had it either. If you announced it in here, I didn't come into this thread for like a month when the news was all ****. Hopefully it wasn't too bad on you and the family.

My wife tested positive and she's made a full recovery thankfully. She dropped some major weight and I had to take her to the ER one day (asthma/breathing issues). Somehow I tested negative, despite losing my sense of smell/taste for 4 days and losing 10 pounds...but oh well! :)

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

My wife tested positive and she's made a full recovery thankfully. She dropped some major weight and I had to take her to the ER one day (asthma/breathing issues). Somehow I tested negative, despite losing my sense of smell/taste for 4 days and losing 10 pounds...but oh well! :)

Good that it wasn't too bad. Strange you tested negative w/ those symptoms though.....

Don't know anything about your weight but hopefully you have room to lose that lol.  How many days did it take for that weight to come off?? Did your diet and intake differ greatly during that time?

Edited by BobbyPhil1781