Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

On 12/25/2020 at 7:32 PM, squire12 said:

#vaccine 

First dose of Pfizer vaccine is completed. 

Very similar experience to flu shot.

Screening questions.  Multiple identifier verification.  Alchohol swabs the injection site.  Quick needle stick and done.

Only thing different:  Wait around ~15 minutes after injection to see if any immediate reactions. 

2nd dose scheduled for January 21

#vaccine

48 hours after 1st dose of Pfizer vaccine.

No side effects other that mild local muscle soreness at injection site.  Similar to flu shot.

2nd dose is scheduled for January 21st.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

And it's signed, enjoy your $600 checks everyone. Don't spend it all in one place

Will give it to my mom since her unemployment benefits ended.

edit: Also we’re assuming that this is the end of these types of checks. There’s chances to do more in the new year.

Edited by Xenos

6 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Will give it to my mom since her unemployment benefits ended.

edit: Also we’re assuming that this is the end of these types of checks. There’s chances to do more in the new year.

Yeah last I heard the expectation is there will be more

17 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

And it's signed, enjoy your $600 checks everyone. Don't spend it all in one place

Easy to be sarcastic, but I'm just happy that come the ball dropping on New Years landlords around the country weren't going to celebrate by sending out mass eviction notices.

We've got a few months of this left. Just need to keep holding out, and this buys us time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Easy to be sarcastic, but I'm just happy that come the ball dropping on New Years landlords around the country weren't going to celebrate by sending out mass eviction notices.

We've got a few months of this left. Just need to keep holding out, and this buys us time.

I wasn't being sarcastic, though I can see how it could be seen that way. 

I'm happy it's signed, I'm on unemployment until March.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rob_shadows said:

I wasn't being sarcastic, though I can see how it could be seen that way. 

I'm happy it's signed, I'm on unemployment until March.

Sorry to hear that man. And nah, that probably says more about how I view most anything related to politics today than anything you said. 

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

13 hours ago, Xenos said:

So I had a hypothetical question. Let’s say a hospital receives 20K in Pfizer vaccine doses. Does it just vaccinate 10k people, and hold on to the remaining 10K doses so that you are assured a second shot when it is time? Or does 20k vaccine doses get used, and you hope that you get the second dosages on time?

Just curious about how this is done given the current supply chain issue. Are there any recommendations from Pfizer or the FDA?

From what I've heard Pfizer/Moderna already have secondary doses in storage so we'll be using all the first round of vaccines. Pfizer is especially hard to store (Incredibly cold storage and very short shelf life); we cycle through them quickly. We've had to do pop-up locations so we don't waste doses. 

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 2

Is anyone surprised that the required % for herd immunity has now gone up? I’m not. I always felt Fauci was trying to be way too optimistic with his numbers. But I don’t blame him for starting at a smaller number first. I hope we do get 80% at least.

7 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Is anyone surprised that the required % for herd immunity has now gone up? I’m not. I always felt Fauci was trying to be way too optimistic with his numbers. But I don’t blame him for starting at a smaller number first. I hope we do get 80% at least.

It wouldn't surprise me if there's a more contagious strain circulating around now whether it was imported from Europe or mutated here locally. I don't know exactly where the threshold is, but let's hope immunity lasts for a while. If that's the case, then vaccinated + natural immunity due to infection will start dramatically slowing the spread by the spring time. Once a majority of the vulnerable are vaccinated deaths should start dropping as well. 

Is it a logical guess to believe the vaccines will severely reduce transmission as well as severity of disease? That's a major factor that we do not have an answer for yet. 

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Yes. The percentage of the population required for herd immunity is based on the R0, which has had variable estimates especially earlier on, but was settling down in the 70%-ish range.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yes. The percentage of the population required for herd immunity is based on the R0, which has had variable estimates especially earlier on, but was settling down in the 70%-ish range.

So either way we’re good?

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

So either way we’re good?

If the new strain has a higher R0, and that's why Fauci revised the threshold I understand, but I don't understand why he hasn't just said that then. 

I'm thinking 70% because that's what the math says, but he may think it's higher based on his experience. I'd defer to him, but would like clarification as to what factors he's weighing.

• Like 1