Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

55 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Nothing wrong with some optimism, especially these days.
You're a Wize Guy, so you know you can't take medical advice from a 2 bit stranger on the internet. That being said - here's an opinion

It will take 3+ weeks for Grandma to make some antibodies post-vaccination and then she'll get a booster shot after that. So I'd wait until both of those are completed before contemplating a visit. The trial data will be informative in the aggregate, but it doesn't tell you how it works for your lovely Grandma.
I don't remember if you've been vaccinated already ? I think yes. In that case, you'll both have been treated and enough time will have elapsed that you both have produced some antibodies to the virus. At that point a visit seems like a reasonable option, but I'd still be cautious and wear a mask and not hang out for 6 hours in the same enclosed room just to be on the safe side.  Best wishes to you and yours

Oh yeah, as @ramssuperbowl99 said I'd like to know what her doctor thinks or at the very least see what the data says before visiting her. I like throwing questions at y'all for forecasting reasons. For some reason I think you're a smart dude...probably because you think Josh Allen is a franchise QB 😛

I have been vaccinated and would definitely wait the month post her vaccination to see her. We'd also wear masks to be extra safe, but man, these vaccines are her light at the end of the tunnel. She's 95 years old and just wants to see her great grandson again. If it turns out the vaccine won't protect her, then it'd be demoralizing for her especially if it doesn't prevent transmission either. I'm not sure what the best move would be at that point.

Her doctor wants her to wait to see how other elderly people react to the vaccine before advising her to get it. I have to wonder if it's a health related reason or he wants to see how effective it is for her age group. Luckily, a lot of the nursing home residents being vaccinated today are in her age range, so hopefully we see some data sooner rather than later. 

12 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

If it turns out the vaccine won't protect her

One way to know is to have her MD order an antibody test after she gets vaccinated. That will give you a data point specific to her.
If she tests positive for the antibodies, then that's good news. Good luck

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I have no doubt that COVID causes heart damage in some people, but a sample size of two dozen people is silly.

Agreed. Also need the same amount of students without COVID and see if it happens there as well, like any normal study... very misleading article.

Although if true, pretty horrific.

18 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

BuT oNlY oNe PeRcEnT oF pEoPlE dIe

1. Also OSU: Go Bucks, beat Clemson!

2. The fact that no one seems willing to ask themselves or investigate further into what happened to that kid from Florida a couple of weeks ago is a complete indictment of society. 

3. Looking at my own heart rate (resting and active) and inability to finish workouts since having it 9 weeks ago with it being very elevated, this doesn’t surprise me 

4. Obviously they need a bigger sample size, but these initial results should be major red flags

On 12/30/2020 at 4:57 PM, bucsfan333 said:

Is there anything that California doesn't royally mess up? I know its been run by dunce after dunce but golly!

I got the vaccine for the virus. My work said its not mandatory but at least strongly suggested it. 

Unfortunately, we still have to wear face diapers for the foreseeable future.

On 12/28/2020 at 1:32 PM, WizeGuy said:

Also, my hospital has vaccinated 5042 people (7215 total including outpatient sites). 491 in the past 24 hours. Honestly, damn near every healthcare worker I've talked to has/or is going to get vaccinated.

Its anecdotal, but where I'm at, the hospital administration was very surprised at the amount of people who will not be getting the vaccine.

They could of course get it later, but as of now, are saying no to it, even though its heavily suggested to get vaccinated.

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Is there anything that California doesn't royally mess up? I know its been run by dunce after dunce but golly!

I got the vaccine for the virus. My work said its not mandatory but at least strongly suggested it. 

Unfortunately, we still have to wear face diapers for the foreseeable future.

Yeah I’m sure it’s CA’s fault that a new strain is here...

iron man eye roll GIF

• Like 1