Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

https://cmmid.github.io/topics/covid19/reports/uk-novel-variant/2020_12_23_Transmissibility_and_severity_of_VOC_202012_01_in_England.pdf

The fitted model based upon increased transmissibility, which reproduces observed epidemiological dynamics and increases in relative prevalence of VOC 202012/01 (Figs. 3, S3), suggests no clear evidence of a difference in odds of hospitalisation or relative risk of death, but finds strong evidence of higher relative transmissibility (Fig. 2A), estimated at 56% higher than preexisting variants (95% CrI across three regions: 50-74%). This estimate is consistent with a previous estimate of 70% increased transmissibility for VOC 202012/01 (14). By contrast, a model without these differences in transmissibility between VOC 202012/01 and preexisting variants was unable to reproduce observed patterns in the data, particularly for December 2020 (Fig. 3). This further highlights that changing contact patterns cannot explain the growth of VOC 202012/01.

@mission27 not a whole lot of good news here.

Maybe free updates:

Calculate how much you would get from
the $600 (or more) coronavirus checks

More than 85 percent of American households would
receive a direct deposit or check in the mail in early 2021

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/business/coronavirus-stimulus-check-calculator/

Tracking the coronavirus
vaccine, state by state

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/health/covid-vaccine-states-distribution-doses/

32 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Combined with the slower than expected vaccine rollout, and it's a bigger deal.

That’s my concern now as well. The supply chain issues and slower than expected rollout. We’re nowhere near that 20 million number.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xenos said:

That’s my concern now as well. The supply chain issues and slower than expected rollout. We’re nowhere near that 20 million number.

Yes, I just read about this. This is pretty huge - I think we're at two millions? That's a significant shortfall.

What can be done to get back on pace?

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Combined with the slower than expected vaccine rollout, and it's a bigger deal.

The logistics on the vaccine rollout is something. 

Federal allocation of how much each state gets. 

Each state needs to ID locations that can store the Pfizer vaccine. 

Each location needs to prioritize who is getting initial dose.

In the end, the location doesn't know how much, or when the are getting the vaccine.  

That's the first dose.  2nd dose is similar with the added element of tracking the usage of the first dose.

Now add in the "extra" doses the viles contain, but without the necessary accessory items (syringes,  gloves, etc) to administer those doses.  

There are a lot of moving parts to this process coupled with the x-mas and new year's holidays and some noted ...... friction between federal and states (for a mixture of reasons).

Not surprising the rollout is slower that expected.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Yes, I just read about this. This is pretty huge - I think we're at two millions? That's a significant shortfall.

The bill that was just passed allocates some funding for vaccine distribution. That should help.

And @squire12, I get slower than expected, but 100MM doses EOY -> 50MM doses EOY -> 20 MM doses EOY -> 2 million doses actually delivered EOY is not just "slower than expected". We moved heaven and earth to get this thing made and approved, and it's not like it's a surprise that it's here now. I'm not going to talk about who to blame, but the the only remotely professional word I can think of to describe this is "unacceptable".

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Throw money at the problem

Sadly we could've done that months ago if our government worked

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

https://m.businesstoday.in/story/oxford-covid19-vaccine-95-per-cent-effective-if-given-3-months-apart-says-siis-adar-poonawalla/1/426336.html

Oxford COVID-19 vaccine 95% effective if given 3 months apart, says SII's Adar Poonawalla

Yeah, not sure how well this will go over. 

Not well at all. That’s way too long. I rather do the J&J shot at 85% efficacy if it means only one shot.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The bill that was just passed allocates some funding for vaccine distribution. That should help.

And @squire12, I get slower than expected, but 100MM doses EOY -> 50MM doses EOY -> 20 MM doses EOY -> 2 million doses actually delivered EOY is not just "slower than expected". We moved heaven and earth to get this thing made and approved, and it's not like it's a surprise that it's here now. I'm not going to talk about who to blame, but the the only remotely professional word I can think of to describe this is "unacceptable".

You're being too kind tbh.  Its a complete disgrace.  They spent the last 9 months dicking around and pinching pennies and arguing about stupid **** while this got worse and worse and now, almost two months after we figured out these vaccines work, less than 1% of the population has a shot in their arm. 

Its the same as our approach to testing.  Could've thrown a few hundred billion at it and everyone would have rapid in home testing.  Instead people are still waiting days and weeks for results.

This is America, we kill ants with nuclear bombs all the time.  Its called the Powell doctrine.  Maybe take a quarter of what we pumped into the stock market and spend it on ending the pandemic.  That would help both businesses and health care workers, so both sides should be happy, but it seems like the MoL are the only rational people left on the planet sometimes. 

• Like 2