2020 NFL Draft - Day One Discussion

RpMc

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

No deal without their 1st next year. QBOTFs are expensive. 

Not if you’re openly trying to trade down. Unless it’s a top 10 pick, why should the trading team pay a premium just because they want a QB. Anything outside the top 10 for a QB is usually a crap shoot anyway so I don’t think you’re going to see this actually happen. The Vikes certainly didn’t pay a premium for Teddy when they moved up, granted that was six years ago. 

11 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

But wouldn't they be trading up to get past NE and NO?  Aren't those the teams that would be anxious to draft Love?  Who else in front of them between picks 25 and 34 would draft a QB?

I don’t see either NE or NO taking Love, but those trades work for pick 22 as well

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Not if you’re openly trying to trade down. Unless it’s a top 10 pick, why should the trading team pay a premium just because they want a QB. Anything outside the top 10 for a QB is usually a crap shoot anyway so I don’t think you’re going to see this actually happen. The Vikes certainly didn’t pay a premium for Teddy when they moved up, granted that was six years ago. 

Both KC and Houston gave up future 1st round picks to move up, and neither of the teams moving down we moving out of the 1st round. 

It cost the Jets three 2nd round picks to move up 3 spots with Indianapolis. Baltimore gave up a future 2nd in the trade up to get Lamar Jackson. 

No one traded up in the 1st for a QB last year. 

But the cost of moving up for a QB is expensive. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Lamar still garnered an additional 2nd. 

The Ravens were moving up from the 50s, traded an additional 4th for 32 and a 4th

Eagles gave up:

32 and 132 - 630 points

Ravens gave up

52/125/2020 2nd - 697 points

———

roughly the same difference in points as the two trades I put together from Indy and LAC

13 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Both KC and Houston gave up future 1st round picks to move up, and neither of the teams moving down we moving out of the 1st round. 

It cost the Jets three 2nd round picks to move up 3 spots with Indianapolis. Baltimore gave up a future 2nd in the trade up to get Lamar Jackson. 

No one traded up in the 1st for a QB last year. 

But the cost of moving up for a QB is expensive. 

Weren’t KC and Houston moving up to the top 10 where picks will usually hold a higher value.

5 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Weren’t KC and Houston moving up to the top 10 where picks will usually hold a higher value.

KC moved to 10 from 27. Houston went from 25 to 12. 

Next year’s 1st may be a little steep, but I’m not accepting an extra 3rd as the sole compensation. I’d ask for no less than an additional 2nd. So, with Indianapolis, that would either mean both 2020 2nds, or a 2nd in 2020 and a 2nd in 2021. Of its a 2nd in 2021, I also want a 3rd in 2020. 

Edited by SemperFeist

1 hour ago, perrynoid said:

I think I already did the math in another thread, but my brain is shrinking rapidly so here is the math again: Indy trades 34, 44, 75 and 197 (560 + 460 + 215 + 11.4 = 1246.4) for Minnesota's 22, 58 and 89 (780 + 320 + 145 = 1245).  Would you do that trade?

I wouldn't mind that at all!

I'm leaning more and more towards neglecting WR in the first round and addressing the defensive backfield and the offensive line instead.

I'm hoping for at least one trade down from either pick, acquiring an additional 2nd or 3rd rounder (or both), which would give them some additional ammunition to move up in the second round for one of the WRs that falls out of the first day. 

The "QB" premium for trading up for one, is more so if its a top 5 pick

Otherwise, moving up for a QB, in the 1st round #10-32th cost a lot (but that is because the value of the higher 1st round picks compared to lower 1st round picks).

I don't foresee some additional QB premium (outside of regular trade value chart value) if trading down from a #22/#25 (to lower 1st round pick or high 2nds)

• Like 1