2020 NFL Draft - Day One Discussion

RpMc

3 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Anyone else thoroughly entertained at the notion that Jerry Jones is by himself during the draft, and have it be a much simpler process to ignore the thoughts of his front office.

So, I guess expect him to take a WR in the first round?  ;)

1 minute ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I really enjoy the movie but it's so dumb yet funny how Sonny Weaver Jr. gets his picks back by conning an absolutely clueless and scared GM who has ZERO contingency plans because the draft is somewhat wonky because Callahan didn't go #1.

In fairness, his "backup plan" got drafted at #4 after his pick went #2 :D

38 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Vikings First Round Picks
Since Spielman took over full GM duties in 2012

2012 - Matt Kalil (early entrant) - Harrison Smith
2013 - Sharrif Floyd, Xavier Rhodes, Cordarrelle Patterson (all early entrants)
2014 - Anthony Barr - Teddy Bridgewater (early entrant)
2015 - Trae Waynes (early entrant)
2016 - Laquon Treadwell (early entrant)
2017 - no pick
2018 - Mike Hughes (early entrant)
2019 - Garrett Bradbury

------

I bring this up because the Vikings first round picks in the past have skewed toward underclassmen (all three corners have been), and Jeff Gladney, who I'd be perfectly happy with, is quite a bit older than the other corners who are rumored to be in consideration for the first round. He'll be 24 before his rookie season ends

WOW. As I look at this, I would think that Spielman's best 1st rounds were 2012 and 2014.  He does a much better job of getting quality in rounds 2,3 and 4.  Maybe someone else should make the 1st round choices for him?

30 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Could be if Kinlaw or one of the top OTs make it to the mid-teens.

Could this be the hold-up in the potential trade for TW?  The Viking's FO might want to see if they can draft one of the top 4 OT prospects and, if failing to do so, would then be willing to trade for TW?

10 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

WOW. As I look at this, I would think that Spielman's best 1st rounds were 2012 and 2014.  He does a much better job of getting quality in rounds 2,3 and 4.  Maybe someone else should make the 1st round choices for him?

He's had some pretty terrible luck, too. Imagine if Floyd and Bridgewater didn't have freak accidents.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I think he's generally done well with the 1st round, outside of the glaring Treadwell pick.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Kiper potentially has Ruggs available at 22, do you take him?

It's the kind of speed we don't have, and would likely fit well in with the play-action shot game that Cousins has excelled in.

I think he would fill the D-Jax roll really well, and would allow Theilen to do his thing inside.

33 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Kiper potentially has Ruggs available at 22, do you take him?

It's the kind of speed we don't have, and would likely fit well in with the play-action shot game that Cousins has excelled in.

Wouldn't that be a no-brainer? Isn't he a top-15 prospect?