Pick #19 is in: CB Damon Arnette, Ohio State

RaidersAreOne

7 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Let’s not forget he played in the Big 10 though. Not a ton of big and/or speed guys there. 

In the last two drafts the only non Ohio State Big Ten WR's that got drafted were DJ Moore in the 1st in 2018 and DaSean Hamilton in the 4th in 2018. This year there will probably be 4 mid-round picks out of the conference. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Oh I agree. Terrell is the pick if he’s there at 19 imo and I’d agree with it. Just noting Arnette positives that he has over Terrell. Main one being catch-point. Arnette is one of the best corners in this class at the catch-point from what I have seen, and Terrell is easily one of the worst. 

I really liked Terrell and felt like the Raiders thought (90 percent chance) he would fall to 19.  I watched the call by Gruden and he seemed a bit flustered and angry.  I feel like it was bc Terrell was gone.

Knowing what we know now would you have packaged 19 and a 3rd to move up and get Terrell or stay at 19, keep our picks and draft Arnette.  I'm just trying to gauge the gap between the two players according to fans.  

2 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I really liked Terrell and felt like the Raiders thought (90 percent chance) he would fall to 19.  I watched the call by Gruden and he seemed a bit flustered and angry.  I feel like it was bc Terrell was gone.

Knowing what we know now would you have packaged 19 and a 3rd to move up and get Terrell or stay at 19, keep our picks and draft Arnette.  I'm just trying to gauge the gap between the two players according to fans.  

Yeah Gruden didn’t seem too excited with it if you read his tone. Terrell was probably the guy. 

It was rumored the Cowboys had Terrell in their eyes at 17 for a week now though. So it’s not a shock he went before the Raiders. Although 16 to the Falcons was a bit of a surprise. 

4 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

The gap between Terrell and Arnette is not worth a 3rd imo.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Yeah, if we really want to do him a justice, we should draft a great FS next year and give him a dominant Safety tandem so his speed is never really an issue. 

Or perhaps we can draft Ashtyn Davis today and develop him. Davis, Abram, Arnette, and Mullen is one hell of a physical secondary. 

That’s flawed logic but I think you kinda just said it wrong.  

Do think adding a elite Range and Speed at FS.  But that doesn’t mean Any CB isn’t susceptible to the long b-ball.  The FS isn’t always protecting one CB over the top.  But I don’t think Arnette is this slow 4.56 speed CB he’s been reported to be off the combine numbers.  As I said before his 10yd split was really slow, his 20yd was average, and his 40 was slow.  That fits with the reports he injured himself/was injured at combine.  Then didn’t do any other work outs.  That sounds like a tight or slightly pulled hammy to me.  I think he’s really somewhere 4.48-4.50.  Watch him at 4:40ish.  Something’s off with his stride too imo.  

we could trade for Malik Hooker or sign him if His 5th year option isn’t picked up this offseason.  He is on the trade block.  Maybe he does for a 4th?  

ideally we get Jevon Holland or Oregon. 6’1 196-200 but should be able to add a little weight still, reported 4.45ish speed. Int magnet: 5 as a fresh plus 11pd, 4 as a soph Plus 8 pd.  
there’s a few other good ones out there too, but mostly juniors.  I won’t ramble about them here.

46 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It's a little too early to say that though. Ferrell looked okay but certainly didn't look like a good pick at #4 and the jury is still out on Abram but he projects as a box safety so might not be great value. 

I actually agree with you here.  I was not impressed with the 1st round last year.  I like all three players but I believe we did not get great value.  Same thing this year.  I like both players but do not think we got great value.  Now if Ruggs can shine with an expanded role then great job and if Arnette is really faster and/or his play ability can overcome it then I will be happy.  Both have ? marks.  I still think that no matter what both players fit the need and will be starters next year at a good level.

If Arnette was hurt and could shave a .1 off of his 40, so a 4.46, where do you think his value is elevated to?  There might be a few steals this year just because of the lack of pro days.  I think a GM like Mayock who relies on game-tape much more than measurables has an advantage.  Where Mayock earned my respect was the talent he found after the 1st.  Let's see if he can do it again.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

The gap between Terrell and Arnette is not worth a 3rd imo.

there isn’t one person on this board that agreed with what you just said prior to hammed taking arnette.  I’m not trying to be a jerk to you it’s just true.   Most people thought Arnette was a late 2nd or early 3rd..... now we draft him and we all think he’s pretty close to even with Terrell?  We all pretty much devalued Arnette but that’s really pushing it.

19+91 for 16 (atl) is only an overpayment Of a 4th rounder that’s not horrible 

3 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

That’s flawed logic but I think you kinda just said it wrong.  

Do think adding a elite Range and Speed at FS.  But that doesn’t mean Any CB isn’t susceptible to the long b-ball.  The FS isn’t always protecting one CB over the top.  But I don’t think Arnette is this slow 4.56 speed CB he’s been reported to be off the combine numbers.  As I said before his 10yd split was really slow, his 20yd was average, and his 40 was slow.  That fits with the reports he injured himself/was injured at combine.  Then didn’t do any other work outs.  That sounds like a tight or slightly pulled hammy to me.  I think he’s really somewhere 4.48-4.50.  Watch him at 4:40ish.  Something’s off with his stride too imo.  

we could trade for Malik Hooker or sign him if His 5th year option isn’t picked up this offseason.  He is on the trade block.  Maybe he does for a 4th?  

ideally we get Jevon Holland or Oregon. 6’1 196-200 but should be able to add a little weight still, reported 4.45ish speed. Int magnet: 5 as a fresh plus 11pd, 4 as a soph Plus 8 pd.  
there’s a few other good ones out there too, but mostly juniors.  I won’t ramble about them here.

I really hope he is faster than that 40 but there is another CB that I want to look at and that is Dantzler.  He had the best tape against LSU from all the top CBs I saw.  He also looks like he enjoys coming up and hitting RBs.  Something Mayock and Gruden probably liked watching.

15 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Although 16 to the Falcons was a bit of a surprise. 

Really? They lost Desmond Trufant and only have Isaiah Oliver and Kendell Sheffield at CB.  Plus they added D.Fowler with Tak McKinney, so speed rusher wasn’t that much of a need. I put the odds at 40% Chaisson and 60% Terrell.  Not a suprise at all.  

28 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

What kind of rubbed me the wrong way was Mayock saying he didn’t try and even trade up, but listened to offers and prolly still could have gotten Arnette there (his own words).  It’s a double whammy:  we have 3 3rds and prolly could have sent 91 to move up for Terrell, then we don’t move back and get an additional 3rd and take Arnette at 19.  
why where they not proactive and at least trying to move up?  If your playing it so safe you won’t trade down a little bit, how can you not pay the small toll an secure Terrell, who they obviously rated higher?

basically Mayock got caught slipping thinking he’d most likely get Terrell at 19, then panicked (I don’t like the word but can’t think of a better one at the moment) and said I have to at least get Arnette and I can’t even risk 1% chance he’s gone on a trade down spot.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

What kind of rubbed me the wrong way was Mayock saying he didn’t try and even trade up, but listened to offers and prolly still could have gotten Arnette there (his own words).  It’s a double whammy:  we have 3 3rds and prolly could have sent 91 to move up for Terrell, then we don’t move back and get an additional 3rd and take Arnette at 19.  
why where they not proactive and at least trying to move up?  If your playing it so safe you won’t trade down a little bit, how can you not pay the small toll an secure Terrell, who they obviously rated higher?

There is so much talent still their.  No reason not to take a trade back unless you think there is a ridiculous drop off in talent.  If that is the case I think MM and Gruden are the only ones that think that.

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

There is so much talent still their.  No reason not to take a trade back unless you think there is a ridiculous drop off in talent.  If that is the case I think MM and Gruden are the only ones that think that.

It's more than talent with Mayock.  Conley had talent and we shipped him off because he was soft. 

Most mock drafts had Fulton as the number 3 Cb and he is still on the board as we speak.  I like what I have seen from Arnette and he fits what we are trying to do.  His age, lesser athletic ability compared to Terrell and short arms are what scare me most.  I think he was hurt during the combine and that hurt his 40 time.  

There is no way Mayock could have known Terrell would have been picked but Atl.  I was shocked and was 90 percent confidant he would be there at 19 as well.   

What is your draft grade for Ruggs/ Arnette compared to Ruggs/ Terrell?  

1 minute ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

It's more than talent with Mayock.  Conley had talent and we shipped him off because he was soft. 

Most mock drafts had Fulton as the number 3 Cb and he is still on the board as we speak.  I like what I have seen from Arnette and he fits what we are trying to do.  His age, lesser athletic ability compared to Terrell and short arms are what scare me most.  I think he was hurt during the combine and that hurt his 40 time.  

There is no way Mayock could have known Terrell would have been picked but Atl.  I was shocked and was 90 percent confidant he would be there at 19 as well.   

What is your draft grade for Ruggs/ Arnette compared to Ruggs/ Terrell?  

Ruggs I would give us a B and Arnette a C based upon the information I have.  I would have been 100% on board with Ruggs if CeeDee and Juedy being gone.  Both I see as #1s and Ruggs a chess piece.  Now that Ruggs will be a higher on the pecking order maybe he does more.  I have been mocking Arnette to us for a month and a half.  Just thought it would be on day 2.  Very similar to the bitter sweet moment we drafted Karl Joseph for me.  

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Ruggs I would give us a B and Arnette a C based upon the information I have.  I would have been 100% on board with Ruggs if CeeDee and Juedy being gone.  Both I see as #1s and Ruggs a chess piece.  Now that Ruggs will be a higher on the pecking order maybe he does more.  I have been mocking Arnette to us for a month and a half.  Just thought it would be on day 2.  Very similar to the bitter sweet moment we drafted Karl Joseph for me.  

Did you have Terrell ranked much higher than Arnette?  I have seen some ranking where Arnette is ranked higher than Terrell.  

The more research I have done I dont think the gap is as large as some on here think.  Here is some food for thought too, every armchair GM would have been pumped if we drafted Fulton and he is still on the board in the mid 2nd LOL