Pick #19 is in: CB Damon Arnette, Ohio State

RaidersAreOne

32 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Sure, but I think terrell had a fantastic blend of physical talent and big game experience. I called Terrell. I'm slowly figuring out these guys draft tendencies. I think characteristic #1 is toughness for sure.

Last year we reached for need in the first round but all of our picks later were strictly traits guys. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Agreed. Underrated aspect of a secondary in the NFL. Did you see he does the incomplete sign every play? He is going to annoy WRs to death lol. 

Unless he ever comes up against Tyreek Hill. Then we're going to see social distancing on an NFL field. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Unless he ever comes up against Tyreek Hill. Then we're going to see social distancing on an NFL field. 

Meh, you’re not gonna be in Man Coverage much against the Chiefs, just suicide. Something I’ve brought up before is look at Mahomes 6 worst games in the 2019 Season. Chargers 2x, Raiders 2x minus 1st game 2nd QTR/Curtis Riley, Colts, and 49ers. They all played mostly Cover 3 Press throughout the game, and kept mixing up zones. As great as Mahomes is, he’s still learning defenses to this day, as scary as that sounds. 

Edited by BayRaider

22 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He's not slow at all. He's actually fairly athletic. I don't see him getting beat deep.

Because of how he plays, his arm length is not really a factor. Age is an overrated concern to me. If he hits, it's still 8+ years of high quality play. If he's 'a 21 year old bust, we're still screwed.

He just needs to clean up a few things, but he's pretty ready to go.

I actually think the media evals on him were pretty off. People calling him "stiff" are absolutely nuts.

@JTagg7754 knows his OSU football And he said that Arnette was injured prior or was injured during (I didn’t clarify) his 40yd dash. He looked real “off” if you go back and watch the replay.  It makes no sense for how quick he is in games... plus I looked into it and his 10yd split was horrible... but he caught back up to speed by the 20yd split, then regressed.

jaylon Johnson: 1.59 , 2.66, 4.50

Damon arnette: 1.66, 2.67, 4.56

I THink he started out and felt tight in his leg muscles, hit 2nd gear, and relaxed cuz he felt something hurt

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The only 3 good CB's I could find that ran sub 4.55 at the combine are Casey Hayward Jr, Richard Sherman, and Joe Haden. 

Yeah, if we really want to do him a justice, we should draft a great FS next year and give him a dominant Safety tandem so his speed is never really an issue. 

Or perhaps we can draft Ashtyn Davis today and develop him. Davis, Abram, Arnette, and Mullen is one hell of a physical secondary. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Yeah, if we really want to do him a justice, we should draft a great FS next year and give him a dominant Safety tandem so his speed is never really an issue. 

Or perhaps we can draft Ashtyn Davis today and develop him. Davis, Abram, Arnette, and Mullen is one hell of a physical secondary. 

Sure doesn't move like a 4.56 guy.

If there's no film of him getting smoked deep, at some point do we just wonder if he actually was unhealthy for the Combine? 

4.56 guy, played across from Okudah, led nation in pass percentage against in man-to-man. Slow?  Something does not compute.

9 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

@JTagg7754 knows his OSU football And he said that Arnette was injured prior or was injured during (I didn’t clarify) his 40yd dash. He looked real “off” if you go back and watch the replay.  It makes no sense for how quick he is in games... plus I looked into it and his 10yd split was horrible... but he caught back up to speed by the 20yd split, then regressed.

1 minute ago, massraider said:

If there's no film of him getting smoked deep, at some point do we just wonder if he actually was unhealthy for the Combine? 

4.56 guy, played across from Okudah, led nation in pass percentage against in man-to-man. Slow?  Something does not compute.

I think there could be some truth to that considering he also didn't participate in any of the other athletic testing drills.

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Agreed. Falcons knew this. We were highly linked to Terrell. He’s Mayocks prototypical corner. 

Do you think if Terrell was there he would have been the pick and do you see much of a gap between Terrell and Arnette?

Deep down I wish we got Terrell but I think Arnette will be a good pro.

FWIW NFL.com released an article of 5 prospects that could be surprise 1st round picks. Arnette was one of them: 

There's a lot to sort out with Arnette, who has "been a wild [child] for a long time," according to an NFC scout who did extensive background work on him. Entering his senior year with the Buckeyes, Arnette (6-0, 195) had a reputation going back to high school as a handful for coaches -- cocky, prone to running his mouth -- and a guy they worried might struggle managing his life once he left the facility. But the word out of Ohio State this spring is Arnette matured under the wing of Jeff Hafley, who spent one season as the Buckeyes' co-defensive coordinator/secondary coach before taking the head job at Boston College. Arnette became a father and seems to have more of a purpose now. "To the kid's credit, maybe it's in his past. That's what you're banking on if you take him that high," an AFC executive said. "What his saving grace will be is he f---ing loves ball." Arnette earned second-team all-Big Ten honors last season despite playing the entire season with a broken wrist. He's tough, experienced (53 games, 38 starts) and plays with more swag than some of the other candidates to be the third cornerback off the board behind former Buckeyes teammate Jeff Okudah and Florida's CJ Henderson. Regardless of when he's selected, Arnette has the skills to become an immediate starter, either outside or at nickel. Said an NFC personnel director: "I could see someone taking him late in the first round, just because he's a talented kid, and [they're] willing to oversee some of the character stuff."

1 minute ago, massraider said:

It's been said a few times he was hampered by a hamstring during combine.  Not a 4.56 guy at all.  But if it's fact he ran it injured... That's ba

• Like 1