Pick #19 is in: CB Damon Arnette, Ohio State

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Do you think if Terrell was there he would have been the pick and do you see much of a gap between Terrell and Arnette?

Deep down I wish we got Terrell but I think Arnette will be a good pro.

The thing that I think separates them as prospects is that Terrell has better physical tools and probably more upside. I think Arnette has a lower floor but Terrell has a higher ceiling. 

The thing that makes this pick interesting as well is that Arnette projects pretty well as a NCB. So if someone like Isaiah Johnson makes a leap you can slide him inside and have 3 good young CBs. 

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think there could be some truth to that considering he also didn't participate in any of the other athletic testing drills.

Oh yeah dang it I forgot to say that.  That was very important... he didn’t do any other tests after

6 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Do you think if Terrell was there he would have been the pick and do you see much of a gap between Terrell and Arnette?

Deep down I wish we got Terrell but I think Arnette will be a good pro.

Terrell would of been the pick IMO. Can never say for certain. From a athletic standpoint, Terrell smokes Arnette in every way. And Terrell is pretty good in coverage, although Arnette is better. 

I’m assuming Mayocks CB Board was 1. Okudah 2. Terrell 3. Arnette. Doubt CJ was even in his Top 5 due to the tackling issue. 

However, Arnette has many pros over Terrell. He has better technique than Terrell, better overall coverage, more aggressive, and the biggest standout: Arnette is miles better than Terrell at the catch-point. Terrell only had one glaring issue IMO. He’s horrendous at the catch-point. Not just bad, but literally horrendous. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NickButera said:

0-40 speed and catch up speed can range wildly. Considering what this guy has accomplished in college against good competition, he wouldn't have been able to do that if he was "slow" for the position if he wasn't top of his class at other attributes. 

But you can be a really good college player and not necessarily have the tools that make it translate to being a really good NFL player. Ferrell was abusing OT's in his last two years at Clemson but his so-so athleticism didn't translate last year. Another thing that plays a factor is that the defense he played on was very good with elite pass rushers. 

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Arnette is miles better than Terrell at the catch-point. Terrell only had one glaring issue IMO. He’s horrendous at the catch-point. Not just bad, but literally horrendous. 

Aren't ball skills one of Arnette's weaknesses though?

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Aren't ball skills one of Arnette's weaknesses though?

Catch-Point is not “ball skills”. It’s breaking up passes and not surrendering catches when you’re already on the WR with good coverage. 

Terrell has perfect coverage a lot and just gives up catches like they are candy. 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Catch-Point is not “ball skills”. It’s breaking up passes and not surrendering catches when you’re already on the WR with good coverage. 

Terrell has perfect coverage a lot and just gives up catches like they are candy. 

The biggest thing about the draft though is that you're not taking a guy based solely on what he is right now, you're taking him based on what you project he can be. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

The biggest thing about the draft though is that you're not taking a guy based solely on what he is right now, you're taking him based on what you project he can be. 

Oh I agree. Terrell is the pick if he’s there at 19 imo and I’d agree with it. Just noting Arnette positives that he has over Terrell. Main one being catch-point. Arnette is one of the best corners in this class at the catch-point from what I have seen, and Terrell is easily one of the worst. 

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Mike Renner has always been my least favorite guy of any media football site or any analytic site. His opinion bias shows in literally every video and every post he makes. Professional guys don’t do this. 

Who is he biased against?

21 pages in 19 hours...Come on man!!!

Not a fan of the value AT ALL!!! However I trust Mayock so will give him 2 years before he gets the Ferrell treatment. LOL Think the guy who returned to Ohio St was regarded higher than this guy but we will see...Don't have much to say except not a fan of a quitter being taken in top 100 picks.

Hoping Mayock is in charge of day two...three 3rds is a lot of ammo to move around. If we trade one for a WR then someone might need to make sure Gruden gets a Micky Finn or elephant tranq...In Duece we trust. LOL Just slip it into his coffee and call it a night. :D