Pick #19 is in: CB Damon Arnette, Ohio State

RaidersAreOne

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

He does have a lot of Talib in his play-style/technique. 

The difference is Talib is much more athletic. 

Talib 40 times: 4.50, 4.44

Talib Arm Length: 33 Inches (amazing)

Arnette 40 time: 4.56

Arnette Arm Length: 30 Inches

I’m not doggin Arnette here. I think he can be very solid in the NFL. We’ll just have to wait and see how he is able to hold up on the boundary in the NFL.

That’s exactly what I said Talib 

but more Marcus Peters tho

On 24/04/2020 at 5:47 AM, OG_C2X said:

Xavien Howard ran a 4.58...

The dude is a dog. I am interested to see how it plays out. I am sure he tried to trade back. I am sure he didn't get an offer he liked. 

I had Johnson and Diggs ahead of him at CB. But let's see how this works out. Mayock is pretty good at the player evaluation thing.

I'm really curious about this quote OG! I really liked Arnette, but was concerned with his length and long speed so gad him behind both Johnson and Terrell who were my best two after Okudah. I get that you had Johnson ahead of him but Diggs seems to be a very different type of prospect from the other two, lot less physical, didn't play press as much or as well, dodgy tackler.........just trying to rationalise how you have him rated there with so different style players?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NYRaider said:

It's just hilarious to hear Mayock say that teams who reach for need get into trouble and then reach big time at #4 last year and again at #19 this year. 

That was pretty much a smoke screen IMO to try and obfuscate our obvious picks of WR and CB, i would think pretty much every team knew what we were likely to take hence the Falcons move for Terrell. Also the much repeated WR in the 1st round comments, obviously a smoke screen IMO.

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I'm really curious about this quote OG! I really liked Arnette, but was concerned with his length and long speed so gad him behind both Johnson and Terrell who were my best two after Okudah. I get that you had Johnson ahead of him but Diggs seems to be a very different type of prospect from the other two, lot less physical, didn't play press as much or as well, dodgy tackler.........just trying to rationalise how you have him rated there with so different style players?

I thought Diggs was everything they looked for in a corner. Hes big, fast, has long arms, has elite ball skills. He was a better version of Isaiah Johnson,  who Mayock said was right there with Mullen as a consideration in the 2nd last year. I thought they would jump on Diggs if they could... he had the tools to be very good.

Apparently they wanted a guy barely 6 feet tsll with 4.5 speed and short arms this year lol.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

I thought Diggs was everything they looked for in a corner. Hes big, fast, has long arms, has elite ball skills. He was a better version of Isaiah Johnson,  who Mayock said was right there with Mullen as a consideration in the 2nd last year. I thought they would jump on Diggs if they could... he had the tools to be very good.

Apparently they wanted a guy barely 6 feet tsll with 4.5 speed and short arms this year lol.

Arnette is a day 1 starter, which the Raiders needed after the Apple deal fell through. Diggs probably can't reliably start day 1--especially in man coverage. I like Digg's long-term projection but he's definitely a project.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Arnette is a day 1 starter, which the Raiders needed after the Apple deal fell through. Diggs probably can't reliably start day 1--especially in man coverage. I like Digg's long-term projection but he's definitely a project.

I don't disagree with any of that. 

Arnette was at OSU during the Braxton Miller/JT Barrett/Cardale Jones 3 QB championship season.

there have been 8! Defensive backs from OSU drafted since he arrived on campus.  9 if you include Okudah this year.

40 OSU players have been selected since Arnette got on campus.  Actually 42 if you include Young, Okudah who were drafteD before him on day 1. 
50 OSU players have been drafted in the years he was at OSU

He’s really not that old though he and Burrow were in same OSU freshman class.

eli Apple just finished his rookie deal... eli was a sophomore when Damon was a freshman.  Apple is less than 13months older than Arnette.

idk if it’s true but I think he’s the only player ever to win 7 Big Ten Championships!

From Ted Nguyen:

Good:
In Arnette, the Raiders are getting a twitchy, fundamentally sound corner with tons of experience in bump-and-run coverage who could play inside, outside, off-man and even zone. His competitive nature jumps off the screen. He even played most of the season with a cast on his arm. I talked with an Ohio State coach who said, “(Arnette) is the most competitive player I’ve seen at Ohio State in all my years there.” There were times when he was overaggressive and wrestled with receivers after the snap. That has to stop, but it’s easier to coach a player to calm down than it is to light a fire under his butt.

Arnette has exceptional play strength and routinely pinned receivers to the sideline. He was able to do this against much bigger receivers, like Clemson’s Justyn Ross, a likely first-round pick next year...Arnette did this consistently throughout the season.

Arnette has loose hips and transitions smoothly when changing directions. In man-to-man, he sticks into the hip pocket of receivers and plasters them when they break. In zone, he can fluidly zig and zag to cover ground.

Arnette is an excellent tackler. He looks like he enjoys contact and actively seeks it out. He takes good angles and rarely misses tackles.

Arnette lacks length but made plays on the ball when he was both in-phase and out-of-phase. Being in-phase means that a defensive back is in a good position to cover his assignment and is able to look back at the quarterback to locate the ball. Being out-of-phase means that a defensive back is trailing his assignment and is unable to get his head around until he gets into a better position.

Ohio State began to play more zone coverage this season and although Arnette had some growing pains early, he showed the smarts and breaking ability to be an effective zone defender.

According to PFF, Arnette allowed only a 44.6 completion percentage last season. He didn’t allow a single touchdown and allowed the lowest passer rating in single coverage in this draft class. Some of these numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt, though. Arnette had the benefit of playing with one of the best pass rushes in college football with a defensive line that included Chase Young, who was drafted second overall by Washington. Also, cornerback Jeff Okudah, who was drafted No. 3 by Detroit, was usually matched up on an opposing team’s No. 1 receiver. Still, Arnette’s stats were impressive and reflected his improvement in regards to taking care of his body and improving his technique.

Bad:
Arnette’s impatience when playing press was notable. Too often, he would open his hips early. By sliding outside too early and not jamming with his off-hand, he gave free access to receivers to the inside. This problem also showed up when he played off coverage. His right arm was injured but even when he played on the right side, he wasn’t jamming consistently with his left arm. The combination of opening up his hips without an off-hand jam to slow down receivers made it too easy to get inside.

As a result of his inconsistency with his jams and his lack of length, Arnette had to grab at receivers.

Another area in which Arnette’s lack of length showed up was when the ball was in the air. For the most part, he was good when the ball was in the air but he really had to lean into receivers and made a lot of contact before the ball arrived.

I can understand why Mike Mayock and Gruden fell in love with Arnette. He fits the profile of a “Gruden Grinder” with his unrelenting competitive nature. And he’s a scheme fit for defensive coordinator Paul Guenther’s bump-and-run heavy scheme. His long speed and length are questionable but there weren’t many examples of him getting burned on film. While he doesn’t have the athletic profile of an elite prospect like his teammate, Okudah, he looks to have a high floor because if it turns out that he doesn’t have the speed to play outside, he has the makings of a high-level, pesky nickel corner.

^^^^ Really interesting write up. My guess is that you would have a similarly weighted pros and cons list for any of the 2nd tier CBs.

Judging by the pundits and draft machinery, I’d have guessed that Johnson and Fulton would have gone late 1st/early second with Gladney and then Diggs after them. Wouldn’t have thought Noah I was going in the 1st. It really does emphasise the point that after Okudah and Henderson and on reflection Terrell, there was no consensus on who should come next and that like Arnette, they all had flaws. 

Tough spot we were in needing a starting corner so badly going in. It was our only real problem as, although we needed WRs, it was a certainty we would be able to get one of the best ones.

Not mad about that as I think he will be a good player for us - just hope our fan base doesn’t hold it against him too much.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

He’s really not that old though he and Burrow were in same OSU freshman class.

He'll be 24 throughout his entire rookie season. Daryl Worley will be 25 throughout this season and it will be his 5th year in the league. He's certainly old for a rookie. One potential benefit of that though is we'll have him in his prime on a rookie deal, he'll be 25 on that 5th year option. 

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1