Pick #19 is in: CB Damon Arnette, Ohio State

RaidersAreOne

Every throw at him during this last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bipSHe2YZI8

He plays almost every time at RCB with some slot work in it. I really haven't seen too much trouble with his speed. I think his grabbing will be an issue and a PI magnet, but hopefully our staff can coach him up on that. Maybe that grabbing had something to do with his cast, I don't know...

The grabbing and the quick hip opening could be related to his speed (when he lnow the other guy is faster) and cause of that he could struggle against speed guys in the NFL IMO, but since he is able to play in the slot too, we might be able to hide him in that regard a little. Amik can play outside too and he is faster IMO, so we might travel Amik with the quick, speedsters and push Arnette in the slot in situations like that...

• Like 3

Straight line speed is important if you are turning and running with a WR on fly routes, quickness and technique always rule in end. He is probably more 4.48 guy but it doesn't really matter. Plenty of fast CBS get burned all the time. 

Can we stop debating a 40 time now? 

12 hours ago, Turnobili said:

yeah but he claims that AT the combine where he clocked a 4.56 that they had him running over 0.1 seconds faster. thats an absurd claim. id feel much better if he just said that he doesnt think arnette ran his best because of injuries and how much faster he looked on tape. now i just question his judgment

Yeah I agreed with you in the last post.

my first line was “I don’t buy the idea that the ET’s for Arnette were wrong or off... and it should have been 4.43 not 4.56”

I’m with ya I wish he just said that too, I totally agree... but that doesn’t change the fact i and I’m only speaking for me do not believe he is above a 4.49 player on a average day.... he won’t have speed issues 

9 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah I agreed with you in the last post.

my first line was “I don’t buy the idea that the ET’s for Arnette were wrong or off... and it should have been 4.43 not 4.56”

I’m with ya I wish he just said that too, I totally agree... but that doesn’t change the fact i and I’m only speaking for me do not believe he is above a 4.49 player on a average day.... he won’t have speed issues 

Yeah i think we already proved that with his top speed being clocked 5th on the team and faster than Terry McLaurin. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rolni said:

Every throw at him during this last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bipSHe2YZI8

He plays almost every time at RCB with some slot work in it. I really haven't seen too much trouble with his speed. I think his grabbing will be an issue and a PI magnet, but hopefully our staff can coach him up on that. Maybe that grabbing had something to do with his cast, I don't know...

The grabbing and the quick hip opening could be related to his speed (when he lnow the other guy is faster) and cause of that he could struggle against speed guys in the NFL IMO, but since he is able to play in the slot too, we might be able to hide him in that regard a little. Amik can play outside too and he is faster IMO, so we might travel Amik with the quick, speedsters and push Arnette in the slot in situations like that...

After watching that one thing that really is clear is he gets beat in slants ALOT. I understand slants are hard to cover in general but he was losing those battles to Miami university and everyone in between. Maybe a little coaching on better technique and standing inside shade a little. 

He had good coverage when WR release outside, and used good strong hands when jamming with the correct hand. I think if he turns and runs with his receiver at the 7 yard mark instead of watching the QB he will keep more of his speed getting into stride sooner. 

3 hours ago, raidr4life said:

This is very interesting so I decided to clock him as the article suggested, the first two times i got 4.40 exactly the 3rd time 4.42. Try it see what you guy's come up with.

https://www.raidersbeat.com/raiders-scouts-clocked-damon-arnettes-40-time-at-4-43-in-indianapolis-were-they-right/

I forget who it was but one prospect at the combine 40 time was way off until they used another nfl guys watch and corrected to a faster time

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/30/nfl-personnel-draft-best-worst-justin-herbert

Head scratchers

NFC scout: “Damon Arnette to Oakland seemed like a reach.

AFC college scouting director: “Arnette to the Raiders. Good player but could have gotten him later and it is a high price to pay for a guy with questionable character.”

NFC exec: “The one where we were happy with was when Vegas took Arnette. That was a head-scratcher. He’s a good player, but most teams had second/third, every time we interviewed him, he was late, there was always something. … They vouch for him at the school, and he brings juice. But giving him money in Vegas would scare me a little.”

12 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I forget who it was but one prospect at the combine 40 time was way off until they used another nfl guys watch and corrected to a faster time

I don't remember this but i remember the reports about Cooper's official time being off.

https://nationalfootballpost.com/sources-alabama-wide-receiver-amari-cooper-ran-4-31-to-4-37-not-4-42-at-combine/

• Like 2

12 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

I think those teams screwed themselves out of a good player, being holier than thou. From what I read he has matured greatly after becoming a father. No off field issues, poor value maybe, If he ends up a pro bowler Raiders will have the last laugh

Edited by raidr4life
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, raidr4life said:

I think those team screwed themselves out of a good player, being holier than thou. From what I read he has matured greatly after becoming father.No off field issiues, poor value maybe, If he ends up a probowler Raiders will have the last laugh

If the Raiders beat KC they will have the last laugh.

• Like 2

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-draft-analyzing-the-play-and-scheme-fit-of-all-six-first-round-cornerbacks

Damon Arnette earned good, but not great coverage grades for three consecutive seasons at Ohio State, never quite managing to crack the 80.0 threshold. And while we at PFF projected him as a third-round pick, the Raiders made him the fourth cornerback to come off the board as the 19th overall selection.

Primarily a man-coverage team, the Raiders played only 343 snaps of zone coverage in 2019, the ninth-fewest among all 32 defenses. So, the team will rely on Arnette and his 4.57 speed to help them defend against the speed of Tyreek Hill and now Jerry Jeudy in the AFC West.

Arnette was somewhat of a late-bloomer for the Buckeyes. He allowed over 800 receiving yards from 2017-18 — allowing a catch rate of 63.7% over that span — while his 86.2 passer rating allowed over that period ranked 111th among the 202 cornerbacks who saw at least 75 targets. Just like his coverage grades, his numbers were passable but far from stellar.

He showed improvement in 2019, allowing only 25 catches for 306 receiving yards on 56 targets (44.9%). Raiders fans will also be happy to know that he allowed only 11 catches from 32 targets in man coverage, giving up a passer rating of just 65.0 on those throws that ranked 10th among qualifying corners.

He will now be asked to improve a Raiders secondary that allowed the league’s sixth-highest passer rating (106.6) and the second-most EPA per pass play (0.217) in 2019. But as daunting as that sounds, Arnette has played more than 1,000 coverage snaps in Ohio State’s pro-style system that has a history of developing some of the NFL's best cornerbacks. 

On 4/30/2020 at 2:22 PM, raidr4life said:

This is very interesting so I decided to clock him as the article suggested, the first two times i got 4.40 exactly the 3rd time 4.42. Try it see what you guy's come up with.

https://www.raidersbeat.com/raiders-scouts-clocked-damon-arnettes-40-time-at-4-43-in-indianapolis-were-they-right/

I was just gonna post this... 

it looks like to be he gotta cheated out of .11s, making his run 4.45

@ .14s his hand lifted off the line, which is consistent with .03s differences in HT and ET’s for 10y splits.

So what caused this?  Did he flex his elbow or did A dreadlock fall forward and trigger the laser?

And this is exactly what old school GMs trust the average of 5 coaches HTs then one electronic time.... this isn’t the only instance I’m sure... who else had their draft stock ruined by a bad ET time?

btw I still think even at 4.45 he didn’t run his best... he looked tight during the run 

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

Why don’t coaches have 2 linked stopwatches and 1 scout at the line to trigger the start and one scout at the end to trigger the stop..... you can’t tell me this is very hard to do with WiFi/Bluetooth and apps these days. 

Edit:  patent pending !!! 

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1