Pick #19 is in: CB Damon Arnette, Ohio State

RaidersAreOne

All of this is in line with his reported 4.35-4.42 times he was reported to have by nfldraftscout (who I feel is the most credible source for accurate predraft measurements and speeds over the last 15-20 years.... there out there at spring camps getting the measurements) 

When you start to realize he’s a 6’0 195 4.40-4.43 CB from THE top DB school with 3 years of starting the pick isn’t that much of a reach.  It’s probably 5-7 picks high.  Mayock even said he wanted to trade down 5-7 picks (Miami and Minnesota could easily have taken him). 
As mad as I was at the time, I feel stupid now... I blew my evaluation and it wasn’t a bad pick.  If I was the GM and I was only offered a 3rd and 5th I’d have said F it I’ll just take my guy vs risk having to take Fulton/Johnson who I don’t love.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Totty said:

So is this in combination with the hurt hammy?  Or was that bad info?  

hurt hammy hsa been rumor floating around, i havent seen anything concrete about that. 

mayock didnt even bring up the hammy, as far as i'm are. chris carter did. mayock said they actually had him clocked in the 4.4's. i adimttedly brushed that off as unrealistic, but thought the tweet/vid there lends some credence to it.

looks like the clock should have started after it hit 0.11, which brings his 4.56 theoretically into the mid 4.4's

Edited by Turnobili

3 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

hurt hammy hsa been rumor floating around, i havent seen anything concrete about that. 

mayock didnt even bring up the hammy, as far as i'm are. chris carter did. mayock said they actually had him clocked in the 4.4's. i adimttedly brushed that off as unrealistic, but thought the tweet/vid there lends some credence to it

Yup i actually timed it myself and came up between 4.40-4.42

On 4/29/2020 at 8:58 PM, jimkelly02 said:

who here lift weights? Have you ever had a “off day”.... for various reasons your only benching 200 not your usual 225.... or your struggling to finish 8 reps at a excercise you easily get to 8 and often push onto feel like your hitting the wall at 10 and sometimes can push on to 12,13?

I can tell a difference in my lift/routine with when I ate/how much/did I eat/what I had the night before/protein/pre-workout etc...

When I'm 'on' I try to remember what I did before and repeat to see if I get similar results. Mental masturbation but OCD is a hell of a drug. :S

I remember eating a pizza before a football class at SRJC and I had more energy and played great that I did it the rest of the semester. LOL  I miss the gym but bought some Big 5 cheap equipment as things looked like it'd last longer. Can't go heavy but at least can break a sweat.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

mayock didnt even bring up the hammy, as far as i'm are. chris carter did. mayock said they actually had him clocked in the 4.4's. i adimttedly brushed that off as unrealistic, but thought the tweet/vid there lends some credence to it.

looks like the clock should have started after it hit 0.11, which brings his 4.56 theoretically into the mid 4.4's

Does that make him a first round talent? 🤔😅

3 hours ago, Totty said:

So is this in combination with the hurt hammy?  Or was that bad info?  

I read multiple articles where they mentioned the hammy... he also stopped working out after the 40....

i don’t think it was ever portrayed as he was “hurt/injured” but rather he was experiencing tightness in his hamstring.

3 hours ago, Totty said:

Does that make him a first round talent? 🤔😅

It’s not that a 4.43 or whatever volts him up to become a first round prospect.

its that the 4.56 dropped him down From being a first round prospect and that never should have happened cuZ it wasn’t true.

• Like 1

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/big-ten-scouting-reports-2020-nfl-draft/9/

Damon Arnette, CB

Career Snapshot: Three-year starter who earned Second Team All-Big Ten honors and made 35 tackles with one interception and eight pass breakups as a senior in 2019. Named Honorable Mention All-Big Ten and made 40 tackles with one interception and six PBUs as a junior. Set career highs with 44 tackles and two INTs as a sophomore.

Positives: Terrific cornerback with a complete game and underrated ability. Engages receivers at the line of scrimmage, mixes it up through the route, and stays on opponents’ hips downfield. Gets his head back around extremely well to locate the pass in the air, displays terrific awareness and shows a closing burst of speed. Fluid in his backpedal, quickly flips his hips in transition and bursts to the ball out of his plant. Possesses solid overall ball skills. Tough run defender who gives great effort and squares into tackles.

Negatives: Gets a bit grabby at times. May struggle to handle a complex defense. Ran poorly during the Combine and deep speed may be an issue.

Analysis: Though overshadowed by some of his teammates, Arnette is a terrific cornerback with legitimate starting potential at the next level. He needs to polish some of the rough edges of his game, but he possesses the underlying physical skills and football ability to make an impact as a rookie in the NFL.

On 5/1/2020 at 8:01 PM, raidr4life said:

Yup i actually timed it myself and came up between 4.40-4.42

Yes! I did this after we drafted him...because he didn’t look 4.57 to me. And I did it with my brother 3 times. I got anywhere usually 4.0-4.5, I never got anything over 4.5, but I just figured I was wrong... 

im glad other people caught this too so I’m. It the only crazy one.. 😜 

So, I’m not as upset with the pick either..I’m not happy with it. At all. But, I over reacted on draft night. I still believe it was our worst pick and he would have been there in the mid 2nd IMO.

But, there are things about his game that I do like, toughness, willingness to tackle, locating the ball in the air, I still think he is way too handsy and will draw a lot of penalties if he can’t adjust his game... I think Amik Robertson will be a better player. BUT, I’m willing to give him a shot....(I say it like I got a choice) 

• Like 2