1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

24 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I feel about the same as I did with the Gary pick about this one.  A high risk, high reward move.  And one that won't pay immediate dividends.

This.  It's a long term play, and one we probably won't know the rewards until a few years down the road.

"We went through the normal process. Talked to a lot of teams. As the board fell, the way we had it stacked, it was all about options left. Didn't feel giving a 4th round pick was all that much to pick a guy we felt strongly about."

He really did love love.

and 

“There weren’t a whole lot of options left” — Brian Gutekunst.

He didn't love the rest

Edited by Gopackgonerd
  • Like 1

Oh well. It is what it is....but this certainly *cements* my stance regarding the draft.

Last year - I was tuned in!

We're picking at 12????? We're gonna get ourselves an IMPACT player this time around.......
Then....we draft a guy that.....well, was on some radar screens early on.....but had disappeared.

Okay.....so he's not gonna be such an IMPACT player....for awhile......but he's sure at a top position no?

This year?

We've back to our old stomping grounds......and (apparently...) back to surprise selections of our future (HOF) QB.
Okay.....so he's not gonna be such an IMPACT player....for awhile....but he's sure at a top position no?

Who knew?  :)

T'sall good. Whatever happens.....I'll roll with it.

Just now, Bullet Club said:

Those are like the two worst things you can have in a QB.

So, did he not read the defense well in 2018 too? Right. Guys post 32 and 6 by hitting their only read all year.

His ball placement is fine. His guys dropped far more than enough catchable balls last year. Balls that NFL caliber WRs wouldn't. Now give me something new rather than something regurgitated from some random draftniks scouting report.

2 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

See—I said something like this early in the thread. This was planned. The trade up was events driven, but it emphasizes the team’s focus. Gute unzipped his fly on this one and he knows it but he did it anyway. If this turns out to be a blunder we all get to keep our jobs, but Gute probably doesn’t.

I at least admire the conviction. And I like agreeing with a poster that knows something about pro sports administration. 

I missed your comment earlier, but you're spot on here. Had a chat last week with a friend who would definitely get a job interview if the new management for an NBA team decides to move on from their current head coach. Told him that in a vacuum the smart thing to do is fire the coach now, but you buy yourself extra time in terms of job security if you let the coach stay for a year, knowing you'll be bad anyway, just because the owner likes him. Gute could have done the easy thing here. Instead he got aggressive to do what he felt was the right thing. Time will tell if he made the right move. 

Just now, incognito_man said:

wait...he had INTs? I didn't see those on his highlights...

Someone had me go look at the INTs from the Utah State/LSU game.  Two of them I wouldn't really blame on him.  Stingley made a tremendous play on the first INT, the second one was staring down his receiver and the LB (I believe) picked off his pass, and the third one was a vertical 50/50 ball which I believe Delpit intercepted but poor job on the WRs behalf of trying to contest it.  I'd really only "blame" one of those interceptions on Love.

2 minutes ago, rthom348 said:

You sure you know how to read? Did I name you as one of the people? I didn't. I think we all know who I was referring to.

My issue isn't Love. I hope he's my favorite player in 8 years. My issue is that we refuse to capitalize on an opportunity that's right in front of our faces! They signed Aaron to a MASSIVE deal. Now was your chance to surround him with cheap talent so we can make a legit run at this next season. What happens when Love is a monster but we have a front office that can't draft guys to put around him? 

And who on the board makes an immediate impact? Do we not have more picks in this draft? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

"We went through the normal process. Talked to a lot of teams. As the board fell, the way we had it stacked, it was all about options left. Didn't feel giving a 4th round pick was all that much to pick a guy we felt strongly about."

He really did love love.

and 

“There weren’t a whole lot of options left” — Brian Gutekunst.

He didn't love the rest

BUT EVERYONE ELSE IS TELLING ME THE BOARD HAD IMMEDIATE IMPACT ON IT!?!?!?!

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Deshon Kizer was a lottery ticket we got because neither the Browns nor the Packers wanted the guy that they had. Kizer was not an attempt to replace Rodgers.

I have no narrative that Rodgers is an awful QB. I have a narrative that Rodgers is a barely above average QB, and with contract in hand is a negative value.

A ton of what went wrong last year was Rodgers fault. When you play the most high leverage position in football and the passing game isn't very good, you deserve to get trashed.

I definitely complimented Rodgers in those games where he played very well. There were 6 (and I'm being generous) of 18.

In my eyes we were in the NFC Championship game due to the strength of an overall roster and a **** ton of luck.

I've never once indicated Rodgers is the only thing wrong with this offense. I have a weekly rant about LaFleur's schemes and especially his fetish with runs on 2nd and long. 

Kizer absolutely was not drafted to be a lottery pick.  He's a guy the front office loved and moved to get him.  He's a very similar prospect to love.  How many thousands of times did we here "ignore his last year at school".  We're going to be told the same thing about Love's 2019 season which bordered on awful.

You trashed Rodgers in every game.  Every drop was the result of a bad throw or "him being terrible with his pre snap adjustments".  I'm not arguing with you about your agenda.  You trashed him relentlessly weekly despite his play on the field.  EVERYTHING was his fault and his fault alone.

• Like 3

Let's prove it Gute. You got your future QB with our 1st rounder this year. Now go offer your No. 1 (hell, even a No. 2) pick next year to any team for their best offensive play-maker so we can "compete" for a championship with 12. 

• Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

So, did he not read the defense well in 2018 too? Right. Guys post 32 and 6 by hitting their only read all year.

His ball placement is fine. His guys dropped far more than enough catchable balls last year. Balls that NFL caliber WRs wouldn't. Now give me something new rather than something regurgitated from some random draftniks scouting report.

His ball placement is not fine. His passing accuracy grades on a per pass basis are not good. Posting stats from 2 years ago has nothing to do with the quality of his ability to read a defense. Jalen Hurts put up great stats too. He still struggles to see the field. He's a poor man's Josh Allen.

20 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Just don't like the timing. 2 years too early for my taste, but whatever, it's done. 

But if Love is indeed the next franchise QB, are you really going to say that it's too early?  I haven't really looked at next year's class, but I can't imagine we're anywhere near close enough to take Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields.  IF you think Love is a franchise QB, you take him.

• Like 2

Just now, Bullet Club said:

He doesn't read the defense well and regardless of his supporting cast his ball placement is extremely shaky. 

Watch the Colorado St game. Goes through multiple progression reads throughout the game and showcases a very soft touch on a lot of throws. 

Ball placement isn’t the greatest, but it’s better than average on his deep throws. 

• Like 1