1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

It's more of a philosophical decision. Gute said he weighed the present and the future. He chose the future. I'm not happy about it and I'm sure there are gonna be guys on the team that arent overjoyed either considering they were definitely sold a bill of goods that included a Super Bowl run- no matter how "professional" they are. 

I appreciate the thoughtful post. I'm one of the non-overjoyed because I think our window is wider than the naysayers think. This isn't a simple 2005 to 2020 comparison. It's not even limited to Brett vs. Aaron; it's about the changes in the rules of the NFL that fostered the shift from a Favre (running only when necessary) to a Rodgers (adding scrambling to his repertoire) type player. A fast, fearless LB or S would mean the world to us.

Just now, TheOnlyThing said:

Carroll got out-coached in last year's playoff loss to the Pack.

But Seattle also defeated Green Bay in 2018 27-24.

To be fair, the Refs have always adored Seattle, this is coming from someone who has no horse in that race.

Just now, rthom348 said:

I still believe Rodgers is a top 5 QB minimum. But I guess everyone has their opinions.

I'm a Rodgers guy and that's a hard cutoff there. He flashes that, still, but he also shows his stubbornness/ignorance. His physical talent? Sure. But he's such a mess technically and, in his head, that he's not there. That's the maddening part. He's not your typical 37 year old QB based on his physical traits but he's your typically older stubborn asshat.

Just now, rthom348 said:

Dammit. I feel like Ricky Bobby. You just keep pullin me back in. 

My question is whether you think that's because Rodgers is simply that level of QB now, or if you think he didn't have much to work with, resulting in his poor second half.

I still believe Rodgers is a top 5 QB minimum. But I guess everyone has their opinions.

I think Rodgers is around the 12th best QB in the NFL now. 

Rodgers had an above average supporting cast around him last year. People don't take into account the OL for no good reason.

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

The next 3 years are when you'll still have your current Hall of Fame QB, who yeah maybe isn't an Elite QB anymore, but he's still top 10 and can win you a Super Bowl if you enable him to. Weigh that vs the likelihood of a late round QB panning out. 

Late round QB? Sure. 1st rounder, nah.

Tell me, who on this board, makes an impact for us day one that puts us over the top? Oh, there might be some marginal talent that gets a W but we still come up short. I'd rather take the shot on the QB than that. 

3 minutes ago, Green19 said:

He didn’t make the pick to be Ted. He made the pick because like Ted he believed in a young talent at QB that was there late in the draft.

How is that different from any other coach moving "up" for a QB?  TT's situation is a poor comparison, and I'm not trying to be difficult.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think Rodgers is around the 12th best QB in the NFL now. 

Rodgers had an above average supporting cast around him last year. People don't take into account the OL for no good reason.

And one #2WR that was benched, and another #2WR that was just allowed to walk. People dont take that into account for no good reason

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I'm a Rodgers guy and that's a hard cutoff there. He flashes that, still, but he also shows his stubbornness/ignorance. His physical talent? Sure. But he's such a mess technically and, in his head, that he's not there. That's the maddening part. He's not your typical 37 year old QB based on his physical traits but he's your typically older stubborn asshat.

I don't disagree with this. My only real concern with Rodgers, to be honest, is his desire at age 37. That argument holds weight. There's a Jordan Love in every draft. There was no reason to panic, and I think we just did.

• Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

Late round QB? Sure. 1st rounder, nah.

Tell me, who on this board, makes an impact for us day one that puts us over the top? Oh, there might be some marginal talent that gets a W but we still come up short. I'd rather take the shot on the QB than that. 

Sorry missed a word "late 1st round", not "late round".

The best weapon left is easily Mims. Maybe you guys come away with Hamler or Shenault tomorrow, wouldn't be so bad. Mims may or may not have put you guys over the top, but if you never help Rodgers by getting him more weapons then you'll never know. Your front office so far seems to be content to let the status quo go and not try to bring in reinforcements for Rodgers.

14 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

13-3 with a league average offense. 

No, Rodgers is the best we have. But given the choice of the two of them with contract in hand, you at least pause when making the decision.

You pause, yes. But then you reach a sober conclusion.

I feel like they dipped into the 90 proof a bit too early.

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

And one #2WR that was benched, and another #2WR that was just allowed to walk. People dont take that into account for no good reason

Sure we do. We absolutely take it into account. When you have an elite OL, a top 10 WR, a top 10 RB, and an average-ish TE, we expect you to make due with two guys who are closer to #3 receivers than #2s. 

If your QB needs an elite player at every position to be a good QB, you don't have a good QB. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Iskra said:

I don't disagree with this. My only real concern with Rodgers, to be honest, is his desire at age 37. That argument holds weight. There's a Jordan Love in every draft. There was no reason to panic, and I think we just did.

The fact that GB traded up tells me this was a scenario they had thought was possible well in advance.  It creates uncertainty going forward and forces people to really take a hard look at a future without Rodgers, but I refuse to believe for one second Gutekunst and LaFleur didn’t know exactly what they were doing.

Time will tell if this was the right call or not.

Edited by Cpdaly23
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Rodgers has always been a mess mechanically. I think his ceiling is so damn high and he can reach that if he has people to throw the ball to. To me, that's the difference between his early years and his recent years. We were always loaded at receiver with Rodgers. But we got away from that and he's suffered. I'm not saying he doesn't have faults. The difference I see is his confidence in throwing to certain guys. He was ultra aggressive early on because he trusted everybody. Now he doesn't trust anyone minus Davante and I think he's right to feel that way. Even if he spread the ball around more after Davante came back, it doesn't mean he'd be more successful. It could just be a repeat of Darius Shepherd letting the ball smack him in the face for an interception. I wish we had guys to throw to so Rodgers can return to his ceiling. And that ceiling is the absolute Pinnacle of QB play ever. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

Sorry missed a word "late 1st round", not "late round".

The best weapon left is easily Mims. Maybe you guys come away with Hamler or Shenault tomorrow, wouldn't be so bad. Mims may or may not have put you guys over the top, but if you never help Rodgers by getting him more weapons then you'll never know. Your front office so far seems to be content to let the status quo go and not try to bring in reinforcements for Rodgers.

I don't think Mims impacts the 2020 season any more than a WR we take at 62. As I said before, I'll take the QB over the WR any day of the week. You can't teach Love's tools AND he can sit and learn. I take that chance over a WR that may or may not see the field or gain the trust of my QB.