1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

Maybe AR continued with his attitude with LaFluer? Who knows. Ryan Leaf just stated that he talked to some people in the AR camp and they said he was upset at how it went down. Not so much that they drafted a QB but the fact that they didn't tell him ahead of time. It seemed to me at times that AR wasn't doing all the things LaFluer wanted him to do in running the offense.

I guess it is time to take out the popcorn and watch the show. It will be interesting. 

33 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I am actually wondering if this pick is more attractive if they are thinking that both the NFL and college football won't play a full season in the fall.

Less time for rookies to get ready, shorter season so fewer injuries to starters, fewer games for rookies to break into the lineup.  Essentially a good season for a rookie backup to sit and not worry about passing on a "play now" player that won't get a chance either.  On top of that, with a shorter college season, a much less predictable draft next year.

I'm predicting it will be an 8 game season starting in November. And that's only if an effective vaccine comes out in early September. There is no way they will allow large stadiums to fill up. Germany has already canceled Oktoberfest. So it's a good year to draft developmental types, or guys with an injury. They will have time to learn or recover.

2 hours ago, YaddaHolla said:

As opposed to reaching for a player that might never make an impact? Ok. How hard is this for people to realize? 

We did reach for a player that might never make an impact.

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Filed under: Things Said About Aaron Rodgers in 2005

Yeah, but this is a totally different situation.

1.  QBs couldn't play as long as they can now and Favre had threatened to retire multiple time.  Rodgers has made it clear he wants to play into his 40s and there's no reason to think he can't.

2.  The argument of this being like 2005 would hold water if one of Tua or Burrow had fallen.  Not the 4th best QB prospect.  If this deal had been for Tua, I'd be all for it.  Love isn't close to the level of prospect as Rodgers was.

3.  This team went to the NFCCG last year and got smacked around.  They could have added a player that would help them overcome SF.  Instead they went the scared route.  They know Rodgers will be good enough to get this team to the playoffs and evidently that's good enough for them.

What an absolutely terrible pick.

And then the Ravens laugh and take who we should have with that trade up.

Is it weird that I kind of hate myself for not going nuclear and hating this pick?

And is it worse that I'm really starting to like this pick more and more?

I've honestly never felt this way about a first round pick.  I know I should hate the pick.  But I can't.  And now I'm growing to really, really like this pick.  Man, it's just a weird time to be a Packer fan.

Thinking a little more Angel's Envy tonight will clear out the head....

5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

And Green Bay still hasn't made the moves to hang with what will likely be some of the top teams in the NFC (SF, TB). 

I still expect your team to win the division this year and be a top 3 seed, but the Packers should be gearing up for one last run with Rodgers, not looking for his replacement.

With our needs and how the draft fell what player outside of Patrick Queen would have been a better option at the end of that round?   This is a deep WR class so we should be able to add talent to that group this evening.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

We did reach for a player that might never make an impact.

Yeah, but this is a totally different situation.

1.  QBs couldn't play as long as they can now and Favre had threatened to retire multiple time.  Rodgers has made it clear he wants to play into his 40s and there's no reason to think he can't.

2.  The argument of this being like 2005 would hold water if one of Tua or Burrow had fallen.  Not the 4th best QB prospect.  If this deal had been for Tua, I'd be all for it.  Love isn't close to the level of prospect as Rodgers was.

3.  This team went to the NFCCG last year and got smacked around.  They could have added a player that would help them overcome SF.  Instead they went the scared route.  They know Rodgers will be good enough to get this team to the playoffs and evidently that's good enough for them.

What an absolutely terrible pick.

And then the Ravens laugh and take who we should have with that trade up.

I agree on #1.  Only difference is that Rodgers has clearly regressed.  Pretty much every season for the last three.  This isn't about playing into his 40's, it's about playing well into his 40's and his recent trend does not support the notion that he will.

Agree on #2, but I don't think like he's that far off.  Alex Smith was his competition for that pick.  Burrow would have been taken ahead of Smith.  Maybe even Tua.  So, it is what it is.  Love does have talent.

#3.  Meh.  Maybe Queen would have helped.  I can give you that one, but now you are trading up for an off ball linebacker.  I don't know, it's a tough sell to me.  And I don't get the scared route concept.

4 hours ago, hitnhope said:

So at best we burn 3 of the 5 years where the rookie contract values give a team the advantage.   A QB playing for the first time isn't going to go far.

This management team needs to answer why they gave Rodgers that last contract.  If this was a possibility then they should have made him play out the last contract, and had the use of franchise tags as well to bridge the gap to the next QB.

The decision to give him the last contract should have voided this situation from being a possibility.   It is 2 years to early for this move if the team has the goal of winning SB.    This move tells the fan base that they are content to be a .500 or slightly above team.  Winning the SB isn't necessary.     Just keep their jobs.

If they were going to make this pick, they needed to announce what they received in trading Rodgers as well.  Keeping him around now isn't going to get us a thing.    Just delays going for a SB for a few years.

I may be repeating myself but I suspect they didn't think they'd have a shot at a potential franchise QB at the time they gave AR this last contract.  I will also say this again - I feel a lot better with Love backing up Rodgers than I do Boyle.

6 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

What if Love wasn't their QB4?  In fact, I'd bet he's probably closer to QB2 than he was QB4.  TBH, I think he was QB3 but I don't really have anything to base that off of.

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

The supporting cast is brutal to watch, You can say in 2019 that every WR and OL and RB that Tua and Burrow had and even Herbert to an extent will at least be in an NFL camp. I'm not sure anyone other than Love on the 2019 USU offense will be in an NFL camp. Makes the tape tough to watch. 

Maybe we should just watch 2018.   ;)

• Like 1