1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

The Rodgers we have this year is light years different than the Rodgers we had last year.  If Rodgers was still playing no like he was even the last 2-3 years, we'd be pining for the year to come when we can get out of that deal. That being said, trading up and drafting Love can still be seen as a dumb move.  I feel that is exclusive from how Rodgers was and is playing. Personally, it doesn't bother me in the least.  But I can see how it could upset some.

Depends on what you think the reason for AR's recent play.....
IF - AR hadnt stepped up his game this year - "we'd be pining for the year to come when we can get out of that deal"
So.......whats actually wrong with selecting Love (?) - especially if you think his presence caused AR to sharpen up his game.

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

The Rodgers we have this year is light years different than the Rodgers we had last year.  If Rodgers was still playing like he was even the last 2-3 years, we'd be pining for the year to come when we can get out of that deal.

Who's this "we'd" you talkin' about. Ya got a mouse in yur pocket? 😎

Yeah, his haters and other spoiled entitled Packer fans might be bellyaching.  Myself, I would always want a top 10ish QB with an insane TD/INT ration. Just needed/need to get the guy more legitimist WRs & TEs.

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

Depends on what you think the reason for AR's recent play.....
IF - AR hadnt stepped up his game this year - "we'd be pining for the year to come when we can get out of that deal"
So.......whats actually wrong with selecting Love (?) - especially if you think his presence caused AR to sharpen up his game.

I'm going to remove the notion that Love has caused Rodgers to step up his game.  That speculative.

So...there's nothing wrong with selecting Love.  Nothing.  We took a QB with a first round grade and the measurables that you want in a potential franchise QB.  We took that over an ILB which was a more pressing need.  We took that over a couple DL who were second round prospects.  We took that over really reaching for a WR in the first.  And I'd argue over a second round CB prospect, Diggs and I guy at Tackle (Jones) who I whiffed on.

I'd rather have the QB with a first round grade over the other guys.

But I can see where some may have wanted us to trade more for a WR, or simply taken Queen.  I get that.  I don't agree with it, but I get it.

11 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Yeah, his haters and other spoiled entitled Packer fans might be bellyaching.  Myself, I would always want a top 10ish QB with an insane TD/INT ration. Just needed/need to get the guy more legitimist WRs & TEs.

I'm going to NOT talk about what is fuzzy and inside of my pocket.  :)

Not sure we were getting more legitimate WR's and Te's at that pick.  I really like the pairing of Tonyan and Stern at TE.

Concerning WR, I wanted one or two early.  But even I saw that the run went early and there were no more first round WR's available.  So then we are in the reaching game.

I mean, if you aren't taking Love, I think trading down was a wise move.  Get to the top of the second round and take your WR there and use that draft capital to move around more in the draft and target a few guys.

But when your QB is older, and his play has been diminishing, I don't see any fault with choosing your next possible franchise QB and letting him sit and develop.

And I really wish I could be more critical of the Love selection, but I can't.

Edited by vegas492

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'm going to remove the notion that Love has caused Rodgers to step up his game.  That speculative.

So...there's nothing wrong with selecting Love.  Nothing.  We took a QB with a first round grade and the measurables that you want in a potential franchise QB.  We took that over an ILB which was a more pressing need.  We took that over a couple DL who were second round prospects.  We took that over really reaching for a WR in the first.  And I'd argue over a second round CB prospect, Diggs and I guy at Tackle (Jones) who I whiffed on.

I'd rather have the QB with a first round grade over the other guys.

But I can see where some may have wanted us to trade more for a WR, or simply taken Queen.  I get that.  I don't agree with it, but I get it.

I get it too....thats not too tough. I dont mind the pick. By your own admission AR *wasnt* playing lights out and barring an unforeseen turn we'd be wanting out of that contract. Why'd it happen? Who knows for sure - nobody - but I dont think having Love around "hurt" AR's motivation. 

In essense....his play now is groundwork for a future job interview if he intends to play beyond the current contract - with anybody. It pays to increase his value by improving his play. That "criteria" or motivation would be lacking in an "I intend to retire a Packer" atmosphere. 

So - unless the organization went the "play out the AR string / crash and burn / (hopefully) draft the future QB with the resulting high draft pick....." road. They evaluated the talent and made the move ahead of time. Not exactly like TT did with Favre (different circumstances.....) but I'd rather have a seamless move than the suck for a year or two/three down the road. 

I think we'll figure out ARs contact just fine......till then.....we'll enjoy and take advantage of his enhanced play. Win/win IMO. 

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Leader said:

I get it too....thats not too tough. I dont mind the pick. By your own admission AR *wasnt* playing lights out and barring an unforeseen turn we'd be wanting out of that contract. Why'd it happen? Who knows for sure - nobody - but I dont think having Love around "hurt" AR's motivation. 

In essense....his play now is groundwork for a future job interview if he intends to play beyond the current contract - with anybody. It pays to increase his value by improving his play. That "criteria" or motivation would be lacing in an "I intend to retire a Packer" atmosphere. 

So - unless the organization went the "play out the AR string / crash and burn / (hopefully) draft the future QB with the resulting high draft pick....." theory - they evaluated the talent and made the move ahead of time. Not exactly like TT did with Favre (different circumstances.....) but I'd rather have a seamless move than the suck for a year of two/three road. 

I think we'll figure out ARs contact just fine......till then.....we'll enjoy and take advantage of his enhanced play. Win/win IMO. 

It is a win/win, but like you, I see the other side.  Don't agree with it, but do understand it.

Regarding Love's future....we can only hope for the day when he's equal to Rodgers in camp and the organization has a decision to make.  

I don't see that happening, but I also didn't it happening with Rodgers either.  It took him a few pre-seasons and camps to get it going, no reason to think Love won't get better with time, too.

9 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Too bad we didn't have the crystal ball ... looking back now I think you take a guy like Tee Higgins at #30 and not think twice about it.

If I'm playing the crystal ball game (and I have no issue with your selection), I'm trading back farther and getting one of Antoine Winfield, Jaylon Johnson or Trevon Diggs then one of Shenault or Claypool.  I'm using that trade back ammunition to get us two of those guys.

Vegas 492 exactly expressed my own thoughts about this year's draft. In a perfect world, I was convinced that Gutekunst would continue along his preference lines of a bigger, tougher wideout that could be had in the mid to late second round. Shenault and Claypool were both receivers I felt were perfect fits, and with a little moving out of Round One, we could at least secure an extra third or fourth that would allow us to use it along with our second pick to get two players--one early in Round Two and one later which would be a wideout. But, of course, hindsight is always twenty-twenty. Hopefully Jordan Love is all that Gutey thinks he will be and more.

4 hours ago, Donzo said:

Aaaand thats how you end up with Matt Ryan.

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'm going to NOT talk about what is fuzzy and inside of my pocket.  :)

Not sure we were getting more legitimate WR's and Te's at that pick.  I really like the pairing of Tonyan and Stern at TE.

Concerning WR, I wanted one or two early.  But even I saw that the run went early and there were no more first round WR's available. 

That's a good policy there with your fuzzy stuff- 👍

For the the WRs & TEs, I was referring to last year. We're talking about last years version of Rodgers, so I was talking about the talent around him.

Just now, Donzo said:

Holy atrocious comparison, Batman.

Quite literally what you said, if i didnt already know whar you were talking about lol.

Top ten ish QB with a good TD / Int ratio. Just needs weapons everywhere to succeed.

First guy i think of when i read that? Matt Ryan. Your words, big dog.

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

Quite literally what you said, if i didnt already know whar you were talking about lol.

Top ten ish QB with a good TD / Int ratio. Just needs weapons everywhere to succeed.

First guy i think of when i read that? Matt Ryan. Your words, big dog.

Holy hypocrite, Batman!

Please point out when I said "Top ten ish QB with a good TD / Int ratio".

4 hours ago, Donzo said:

1 minute ago, Donzo said:

Holy hypocrite, Batman!

Please point out when I said "Top ten ish QB with a good TD / Int ratio".

So you said insane,  lol top ten ish still. You get it. Quit crying and just admit when youre wrong. Its a bad look with you.