Who should we target on day two?

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, Geezy said:

Mayock needs to make his money today. 3 3rds, is what separates the pretenders from the contenders. I need a RB, WR and BPA defense. 

Moss or Akers at RB

Should be a quality WR available

I really like Malik Harrison as LB depth/Kwit insurance...

yup, Mayock needs to deliver today. Could go

• RB
  • WR
  • EDGE/.LB
  • S
  • CB
Edited by Humble_Beast

Remaining Needs

Starters - SLB

Depth - RB, WR, OG, DL, LB, FS

I don't necessarily think all of the mentioned will be available at 80, 81 or 91 but just mentioning all available players at the positions of need that I like. 

SLB/LB Depth - I think an ideal 3 down SAM would be Zach Baun. That would require a big trade up into the second round. In the 3rd we could have the options of some 2 down SLB like Jacob Phillps, Logan Wilson, Malik Harrison, Troy Dye or Akeem Gaither-Davis.

RB - Only 1 RB taken in the first round. J.K. Dobbins, Jonathan Taylor and D'Andre Swift will go off the board early. I think Cam Akers, Zack Moss or AJ Dillon will be options. 

WR - there are so many WR options. Laviska Shenault, Tee Higgins, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Bryan Edwards, K.J. Hill, K.J. Hamler, and Van Jefferson are all talented players.

OG - Damien Lewis or Solomon Kindley are the top 2 OG. I also like Netane Muti and Daishawn Dixon could be sleepers at OG.

DL - I think there are at least 6 roster locks on the DL (crosby, collins, hankins, hurst, Ferrell and Nassib) 2 more are virtual locks (Key and Hall) so there is 1 more spot on the DL availablre Ross Blacklock, Neville Gallimore, Marlon Davidson, or Terrell Lewis could be options inside. While Julian Okwara, A.J Espensa or Yetur Gross-Matos could be options if they miraculously slip. 

FS - Lot of talent there. Grant Delpit, Xavier McKinney, Ashtyn Davis, Jeremy Chinn, or Antoine Winefield Jr. are all options. 

What did I miss?!?!

I’d love to come away with Ashtyn Davis and Malik Harrison. Think they both fit what Mayock looks for. Davis does turn 24 in October though. Davis is good on ST which helps immediately.

Harrison can challenge Lee for the SLB and be backup at MLB.

Not sure both make it to the 3rd round though. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

Remaining Needs

Starters - SLB

Depth - RB, WR, OG, DL, LB, FS

I don't necessarily think all of the mentioned will be available at 80, 81 or 91 but just mentioning all available players at the positions of need that I like. 

SLB/LB Depth - I think an ideal 3 down SAM would be Zach Baun. That would require a big trade up into the second round. In the 3rd we could have the options of some 2 down SLB like Jacob Phillps, Logan Wilson, Malik Harrison, Troy Dye or Akeem Gaither-Davis.

RB - Only 1 RB taken in the first round. J.K. Dobbins, Jonathan Taylor and D'Andre Swift will go off the board early. I think Cam Akers, Zack Moss or AJ Dillon will be options. 

WR - there are so many WR options. Laviska Shenault, Tee Higgins, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Bryan Edwards, K.J. Hill, K.J. Hamler, and Van Jefferson are all talented players.

OG - Damien Lewis or Solomon Kindley are the top 2 OG. I also like Netane Muti and Daishawn Dixon could be sleepers at OG.

DL - I think there are at least 6 roster locks on the DL (crosby, collins, hankins, hurst, Ferrell and Nassib) 2 more are virtual locks (Key and Hall) so there is 1 more spot on the DL availablre Ross Blacklock, Neville Gallimore, Marlon Davidson, or Terrell Lewis could be options inside. While Julian Okwara, A.J Espensa or Yetur Gross-Matos could be options if they miraculously slip. 

FS - Lot of talent there. Grant Delpit, Xavier McKinney, Ashtyn Davis, Jeremy Chinn, or Antoine Winefield Jr. are all options. 

What did I miss?!?!

I think we skip guard since Gabe is still a Raider and Kush and Good are solid backups. 

13 minutes ago, Dessie said:

I’d love to come away with Ashtyn Davis and Malik Harrison. Think they both fit what Mayock looks for. Davis does turn 24 in October though. Davis is good on ST which helps immediately.

Harrison can challenge Lee for the SLB and be backup at MLB.

Not sure both make it to the 3rd round though. 

eh, SLB comes off the field in nickel, which is effectively the new "base." i wouldnt be targeting a player at that spot in round 3. realisitically, we still have holes at CB, WR

Corner:

1) Mullen - He's penciled in as the #1 starter, but hard to be very confident about that. He showed well as a rook for sure, but how good do we really feel about him covering #1s on a weekly basis? For reference, we felt exactly the same way about Conley a year ago at this time.

2) ??? Do we just assume Arnette slides in day 1 with a limited offseason and becomes a starting corner? Do we just assume he's going to pan out? 
Nevin Lawson? 
Isaiah Johnson?
Nixon?

#1 is tentative enough, #2 is even more of a wildcard. stack more bodies, play the numbers game and hope that a starter emerges. I don't think we have enough. and thats even with slot technically held by Joyner who wasn't worth his 10 mil price tag and is a cut candidate next year with no cap hit if he underwhelms again.

Wide receiver:

We know 3rd and Renfrow has the slot, so i'm just going to look at boundary starters

Tyrell Williams will start on one side. Sure, we hope that last year's disappointment was purely because of his foot injuries and that he bounces back. Otherwise, like Joyner, he would be a cut candidate next season has he has a 10 mil price tag with no dead money. Even if he has a slightly better year, is he worth 10 mil? We should be looking to draft his potential replacement anyway. Draft a year ahead so that when the time comes, he's had a year under his belt, instead of thrusting a rookie into a role.

On the other side, obviously Ruggs is the presumptive guy. But like corner, I don't want to just assume he's going to pan out and be Tyreek Hill (or more realistically, DeSean Jackson). And even if he does pan out, we are still thin. Last year when Tyrell got hurt, we started Trevor Davis and Keelan Doss. Unacceptable. Get more depth now, who may need to start down the line. This is a strong WR class and this is the year to stack up on that position. I'd love to trade up for Mims, personally.

Edited by Turnobili

Just now, massraider said:

Malik could be a three down MLB, but even if not, he's not just a plugger. 

He would feel like a nice fallback if everything goes badly at other positions. 

In other words, if all the targets get drafted, I would be totally fine with the pick. 

A good LB in the third would be a nice value. He can play in the base defense and he's a nice insurance policy for Kwiatkoski who has only started 22 games. 

7 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

eh, SLB comes off the field in nickel, which is effectively the new "base." i wouldnt be targeting a player at that spot in round 3. realisitically, we still have holes at CB, WR

Corner:

1) Mullen - He's penciled in as the #1 starter, but hard to be very confident about that. He showed well as a rook for sure, but how good do we really feel about him covering #1s on a weekly basis? For reference, we felt exactly the same way about Conley a year ago at this time.

2) ??? Do we just assume Arnette slides in day 1 with a limited offseason and becomes a starting corner? Do we just assume he's going to pan out? 
Nevin Lawson? 
Isaiah Johnson?
Nixon?

#1 is tentative enough, #2 is even more of a wildcard. stack more bodies, play the numbers game and hope that a starter emerges. I don't think we have enough. and thats even with slot technically held by Joyner who wasn't worth his 10 mil price tag and is a cut candidate next year with no cap hit if he underwhelms again.

Wide receiver:

We know 3rd and Renfrow has the slot, so i'm just going to look at boundary starters

Tyrell Williams will start on one side. Sure, we hope that last year's disappointment was purely because of his foot injuries and that he bounces back. Otherwise, like Joyner, he would be a cut candidate next season has he has a 10 mil price tag with no dead money. Even if he has a slightly better year, is he worth 10 mil? We should be looking to draft his potential replacement anyway. Draft a year ahead so that when the time comes, he's had a year under his belt, instead of thrusting a rookie into a role.

On the other side, obviously Ruggs is the presumptive guy. But like corner, I don't want to just assume he's going to pan out and be Tyreek Hill (or more realistically, DeSean Jackson). And even if he does pan out, we are still thin. Last year when Tyrell got hurt, we started Trevor Davis and Keelan Doss. Unacceptable. Get more depth now, who may need to start down the line. This is a strong WR class and this is the year to stack up on that position. I'd love to trade up for Mims, personally.

We are spending $9m on our slot this year in Joyner and we have Mullen, Johnson, Nixon who we don’t know much about and have just drafted Arnette. We don’t need another young CB and certainly not instead of LB.

At WR, what have we spent recently at this position? In last 3 years, 1st on Ruggs, 3rd on Bryant, 3rd and 5th on Brown, 5th on Renfrow 5th on Jones and 6th on Davis and a 7th on Ateman. Also signed Williams and Agholor.

I’m well aware of the SLB coming off in nickel. Harrison offers depth at all 3 spots at LB and ideally could be a good starter if anything were to happen to Kwiatowski. Currently we have Lee at SLB and Morrow as the only backup, LB is a need imo.

18 minutes ago, Dessie said:

We are spending $9m on our slot this year in Joyner and we have Mullen, Johnson, Nixon who we don’t know much about and have just drafted Arnette. We don’t need another young CB and certainly not instead of LB.

At WR, what have we spent recently at this position? In last 3 years, 1st on Ruggs, 3rd on Bryant, 3rd and 5th on Brown, 5th on Renfrow 5th on Jones and 6th on Davis and a 7th on Ateman. Also signed Williams and Agholor.

I’m well aware of the SLB coming off in nickel. Harrison offers depth at all 3 spots at LB and ideally could be a good starter if anything were to happen to Kwiatowski. Currently we have Lee at SLB and Morrow as the only backup, LB is a need imo.

and joyner wasnt very good, let alone being worth 10 mil. he had enough guaranteed where cutting him wasn't remotely an option. plus he's excuslively slot corner, so we still need outside corners, where we are paper thing. you said a lot of names. mullen/johnson/nixon/arnette. none of those guys inpsire confidence yet as full time starters, especially johnson/nixon. you will have 3-4 CBs on the field on any given play these days. 

are you glad that we didnt get more corners because we had keith mcgill and nick nelson? keep drafting guys until you find the studs, especially at a position that requires depth

i also couldnt care less what we spend on bryant, brown, davis, ateman, or jones. they are either not on the team or are not productive. we need production at the position which we currently do not really have. we spent a lot of money on williams, sure. but he didnt produce after week 4. does that mean we give up and pretend the position has been filled? he's also quite expensive and is a potential cut candidate after the season, who we may have to replace. i'd rather draft a receiver in this strong class than wait for next year and desperately reach for one in what will be a weaker class. 

you dont draft for just the next season. these are both positions that we still need long term help in.

Edited by Turnobili

1 minute ago, Turnobili said:

and joyner wasnt very good, let alone being worth 10 mil. he had enough guaranteed where cutting him wasn't remotely an option. plus he's excuslively slot corner, so we still need outside corners, where we are paper thing. you said a lot of names. mullen/johnson/nixon/arnette. none of those guys inpsire confidence yet as full time starters, especially johnson/nixon. you will have 3-4 CBs on the field on any given play these days. 

are you glad that we didnt get more corners because we had keith mcgill and nick nelson? keep drafting guys until you find the studs, especially at a position that requires depth

Trust me you only have to look at the defense thread for my feelings on Joyner. Point i am making is adding another unproven CB wouldn’t make sense and after drafting Arnette, LB is a bigger need.