2020 Day 3 NFL Draft Thread (NO SPOILERS!)

CWood21

Everything that makes sense, makes no sense, I can't make sense of this draft. It seems like we are totally trying to F'off Rodgers, change the complexion of this offence. No more 5 WR set's, this is going to be a pound and ground team. I wish we still had MM, the Dallas offence is going to be fun to watch, ours is going to be dire. I'm just so confused.

In my mind this just makes me think that Arod ended up with too much power, he wanted to play football his way, audible out of plays, refuse to take the open WR that the scheme would give him, so MLF and Gute said if you ain't gonna play ball we taking the power back and we are reshaping this whole offence and you are no longer the focal point. Forget getting any pass catching weapons. This is going to be game manager style QB play, efficient blah blah blah

3 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Everything that makes sense, makes no sense, I can't make sense of this draft. It seems like we are totally trying to F'off Rodgers, change the complexion of this offence. No more 5 WR set's, this is going to be a pound and ground team. I wish we still had MM, the Dallas offence is going to be fun to watch, ours is going to be dire. I'm just so confused.

Its very strange.  Not sure who is going to be happy with this. Its obviously a kick in the teeth for Rodgers,  the defence has had no help at all. You have to assume MLF can't be happy. It looks a rebuild draft but you can't really rebuild when you have HOF QB at the end of his career on huge money. I had WR, OT, LD, CB, MLB (in that order) as my preferred priorities - its pretty impressive to not touch any of them in the first 4 rounds. On the face of it, it doesn't make any sense at all.

On the plus side - its clearly not drafting for need so you have to assume that Gute is very high on the players he has picked. This is his job he is paid to do so you have to back his judgement. No matter how bad it seems, you have to judge a draft in 4 seasons. These three guys could lead us to a superbowl.

The Love trade also seems quite symbolic as we move away from draft and develop. Under TT, the mid round picks helped build the roster. The likes of Sitton, Bakh, Lang, Linsley, Daniels and so on came in the 4th and 5th. That's two years in a row, we have traded away the 4th round pick so Gute clearly puts less value on these mid rounders as he is happy to sacrifice them to move up early in the draft. Seems to be prioritising getting the guy he wants in the 1st over building the guts of the roster in the draft.

2 hours ago, YaddaHolla said:

Let Gute check his board in peace 

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29a5d83c366908f370d0

big takeaway from this, is that if you have kids don't go to the bathroom during a virtual draft without locking your computer.  Kids, what have you done ? Jordan Love really ?  and a 4th ? oh crap. Right up to your rooms, the lot of you.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, PackerLegend said:

CBS sports said the Packers are the biggest losers not just day 1 but also day 2. Calling the Packer picks head scratching lol.

This will go down as the F'YOU AARON RODGERS DRAFT. 

We are shutting your window and building a new team for the future. Laters mate.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jaegybomb said:

Seriously though it kind of seems like we might be expecting a shortened season this year.

Why ?

Everyone we drafted is basically depth. If it was a shortened season I guess depth is less important and impact players more valuable.

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

In my mind this just makes me think that Arod ended up with too much power, he wanted to play football his way, audible out of plays, refuse to take the open WR that the scheme would give him, so MLF and Gute said if you ain't gonna play ball we taking the power back and we are reshaping this whole offence and you are no longer the focal point. Forget getting any pass catching weapons. This is going to be game manager style QB play, efficient blah blah blah

No, reading his draft  comments, I think Gute just misread the draft. 

With so many good receivers in the draft, he probably saw the 2nd round pick as being the sweet spot to take one of them. Unless one of the big 3 fell then he probably had no intention of taking one in the first round so he was free to take a flier on Love because there was probably going to be a talented receiver fall to him in the second. They just got out-manoeuvred and misread how the draft was  going to play out. 

The plan is clearly to become a power team and to move in that direction you talk about but I'm certain he did want to take a receiver anyway. With the board falling badly then they had to change plan. 

I'm over it now anyway - its only a game and probably a game that wont be played for some time.

I'm startled at how bad I hate Gutekunst right now. We have completely ignored any of our teams weaknesses from last year. I went from being stunned in round 1 but now disgusted after our first 3 picks. We have done zero to address the fact that San Francisco ran up and down us like a first team would do against a scout team. Disgusted. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Skippy said:

I'm startled at how bad I hate Gutekunst right now. We have completely ignored any of our teams weaknesses from last year. I went from being stunned in round 1 but now disgusted after our first 3 picks. We have done zero to address the fact that San Francisco ran up and down us like a first team would do against a scout team. Disgusted. 

You can't evaluate a draft for 4 years. It does look like an unmitigated disaster and its quite impressive how he managed to miss all of our needs but you never know how its going to play out. 

I suppose its bad timing ..  with Covid 19, could have done with a feel good boost. Not really a good year to have a draft where the best thing you can say about it is that 'maybe after 4 years it will look a great draft'