The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

QB28 is a really bad joke. 

If we're talking the 32 guys likely to start week 1, I can think of way more than 4 people he'll be better than. 

Yeah it's clearly a terrible ranking, lol. He's behind Jalen Hurts, Deshaun Watson, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jameis Winston, Sam Darnold, Jimmy Garoppolo, Carson Wentz, Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Tua Tagovailoa, Daniel Jones, Cam Newton, and Tedy Bridgewater. 

5 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

QB28 is a really bad joke. 

If we're talking the 32 guys likely to start week 1, I can think of way more than 4 people he'll be better than. 

He's bound to perform better than Fields or Lawrence or Wilson with the lack of talent around them, unless they're Mahomes on roids. Houston's QB, Denver's QB, Daniel Jones.....obviously my list could go on and on as I have him ranked as QB 9 overall. 

Who the heck did they bother to put him in front of? Lol

in fantasy? i mean 28 is probably low, but i dont think Carr is top 20

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He was 13th in points scored last year.

True. But add new oline, another rb, lost best wr, supposedly better defense, mix with gruden likes to get conservative with a lead and in close games. I wouldn't take carr top 15 for sure.  

20 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He was 13th in points scored last year.

stafford is on a better team

hurts is a running qb who will start from the get-go

lance/fields will probably outscore Carr on a per game basis

baker finished the season strong and gets OBJ back, remains in an elite situation

burrow will be a higher volume passer who will probably not tear an ACL midseason again

ben will be a much higher volume passer

there's 7 who could realistically outproduce carr that finished behind him last year. i think he's in the 20s. i wouldnt touch him in single QB leagues. i think carr is a better real life qb than all of those sans stafford

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

stafford is on a better team

hurts is a running qb who will start from the get-go

lance/fields will probably outscore Carr on a per game basis

baker finished the season strong and gets OBJ back, remains in an elite situation

burrow will be a higher volume passer who will probably not tear an ACL midseason again

ben will be a much higher volume passer

there's 7 who could realistically outproduce carr that finished behind him last year. i think he's in the 20s. i wouldnt touch him in single QB leagues. i think carr is a better real life qb than all of those sans stafford

Stafford will probably put up better numbers, I agree. 

Jalen Hurts averaged 229 passing yards and completed 51% of his passes in his 4 starts last season. 

Baker will have a good year but plays in a cold weather city and has never thrown for 4,000+ yards. 

Joe Burrow could have a good year but the Bengals offensive line will be one of the worst in the league. 

Big Ben's arm looked cooked last season and they just drafted Najee Harris to have a more balanced offense after having the worst running game in the league last year. 

Justin Fields isn't even starting right now, although I think he will be starting eventually. 

Trey Lance isn't starting right now either and I don't think he will start this year. If he does he will look like Josh Allen did his first couple of seasons. 

18 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Stafford will probably put up better numbers, I agree. 

Jalen Hurts averaged 229 passing yards and completed 51% of his passes in his 4 starts last season. 

Baker will have a good year but plays in a cold weather city and has never thrown for 4,000+ yards. 

Joe Burrow could have a good year but the Bengals offensive line will be one of the worst in the league. 

Big Ben's arm looked cooked last season and they just drafted Najee Harris to have a more balanced offense after having the worst running game in the league last year. 

Justin Fields isn't even starting right now, although I think he will be starting eventually. 

Trey Lance isn't starting right now either and I don't think he will start this year. If he does he will look like Josh Allen did his first couple of seasons. 

hurts - rushing yards count too. he was one of the highest QB scorers in the league during his starts

im not crazy about baker or ben. i think if either baker, ben, or carr is your QB1 in a single QB league (14 people or less), you're probably doing something wrong

id rather trust fields/lance and hold them for a few weeks until they inevitably start (in the meantime having a guy like cousins start for me for a couple of weeks) than rely on carr. 

rushing qbs are a cheat code in fantasy football, plain and simple. this was a really good article that got me to realize that back in 2013. it has only become more pronounced since then

https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/1124/terrelle-pryor-tim-tebow-and-running-quarterback-history

Edited by Turnobili

Just now, Turnobili said:

hurts - rushing yards count too. he was one of the highest QB scorers in the league during his starts

id rather trust fields/lance and hold them for a few weeks until they inevitably start (in the meantime having a guy like cousins start for me for a couple of weeks) than rely on carr. 

Jalen Hurts hasn't even been named the starter yet and the team has regularly been linked to Deshaun Watson so I'd imagine they're not thrilled with him. 

I wouldn't want any of those guys in fantasy, Carr included. But Lance won't put up better numbers then Carr he's going to look like Josh Allen, he's not ready to play. 

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Jalen Hurts hasn't even been named the starter yet and the team has regularly been linked to Deshaun Watson so I'd imagine they're not thrilled with him. 

I wouldn't want any of those guys in fantasy, Carr included. But Lance won't put up better numbers then Carr he's going to look like Josh Allen, he's not ready to play. 

and josh allen has put up better fantasy numbers than carr every year of his career. even during his rookie season on a per game basis

you really think watson will see the field this year? they're not going to start flacco. im not sold on hurts any more than they are, but they dont have any other realistic options. and even if hurts only plays 8 games, i'd rather draft hurts and enjoy clean QB1 numbers for 8 games than draft carr because maybe at the end of the season he'll total enough points to be QB14

fantasy is about winning weeks, not piling on aggregate numbers

Edited by Turnobili

2 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

and josh allen has put up better fantasy numbers than carr every year of his career. even during his rookie season on a per game basis

you really think watson will see the field this year? they're not going to start flacco. im not sold on hurts any more than they are, but they dont have any other realistic options. and even if hurts only plays 8 games, i'd rather draft hurts and enjoy clean QB1 numbers for 8 games than draft carr because maybe at the end of the season he'll total enough points to be QB14

fantasy is about winning weeks, not piling on aggregate numbers

He didn't during his rookie season but he did during year 2. 

I don't think Watson plays this season but I think the fact that the Eagles have regularly been linked to him and that they won't name Hurts the starter means that they aren't very high on him. 

Carr had 4 games with around 300 yards and 3 TD last season. Hurts only had multiple passing TD in 1/4 starts. They're going to be extremely young at WR with Reagor, Watkins, Smith, and Ward. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

He didn't during his rookie season but he did during year 2. 

I don't think Watson plays this season but I think the fact that the Eagles have regularly been linked to him and that they won't name Hurts the starter means that they aren't very high on him. 

Carr had 4 games with around 300 yards and 3 TD last season. Hurts only had multiple passing TD in 1/4 starts. They're going to be extremely young at WR with Reagor, Watkins, Smith, and Ward. 

on a per game basis allen was still better than carr that season. from a fantasy perspective. dude still ran for over 600 yards and 8 TDs in 12 games

• Like 1

pure pocket passers are only fantasy viable these days if they have astronomical TD numbers... like 35+

see: rodgers/brady throwing 40+ last year. matt ryan hasnt been great in recent years but at least he throws 4500+ yards every year. 

carr is underrated irl but from a fantasy perspective he's throwing for barely 4k yards and 25 TDs in the gruden era. he just ran for a career high 140 yards which isn't fantasy relevant. he did run for a career high 3 TDs though which was a nice bonus.

i'd only touch him in 2 QB/superflex leagues. but any crappy qb who runs 4-5 times a game is fantasy gold. its kinda stupid, but thems the breaks

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

i'd only touch him in 2 QB/superflex leagues. but any crappy qb who runs 4-5 times a game is fantasy gold. its kinda stupid, but thems the breaks

Yeah I'm in a 12 team league with a super flex and I have the 11th pick, lol. I've been thinking about going QB back to back with my first two picks, should I?

36 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah I'm in a 12 team league with a super flex and I have the 11th pick, lol. I've been thinking about going QB back to back with my first two picks, should I?

being a raiders homer has been bad business for fantasy purposes for 2 decades now. except maybe 2015 if you went bargain hunting for latavius, crabtree, cooper

Edited by Turnobili

16 hours ago, Turnobili said:

pure pocket passers are only fantasy viable these days if they have astronomical TD numbers... like 35+

see: rodgers/brady throwing 40+ last year. matt ryan hasnt been great in recent years but at least he throws 4500+ yards every year. 

carr is underrated irl but from a fantasy perspective he's throwing for barely 4k yards and 25 TDs in the gruden era. he just ran for a career high 140 yards which isn't fantasy relevant. he did run for a career high 3 TDs though which was a nice bonus.

Depends on the scoring setup.  4 points per TD passing and 6 points per rushing TD is a huge difference maker.  With a superflex it just gets worse unless it is a PPR league.  Back before superflex was a thing and QBs were getting 6 points per TD I would always draft  3 QBs in thw 12 20 range.  I would find out what the worst pass defenses would be and figure out a weekly rotation that their schedules put one of my QBs up against a bottom 5 defense every week.  This frees you up to get top D and K while still getting enough high level RBs, WRs, and TEs.  Couple other strategies I would add to this and I was top 2 every year.  Nobody ever picked up on it so I was always drafting QBs in the second half of the draft. With 2 QBs it is a little more difficult but it can still help.  Just might need to grab 1 QB in the first few rounds and hold 4 QBs total.  I would end up with a roster that had Big Ben, Carr, Tannehill, and Herbert as an example.  I have not looked into ranking this year but I would think none of those guys are going before round 9.  That gives me 8 RBs, WRs, and TEs.  Depends on how the board falls but I could sneak a top D around the 10th round.