The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, dante9876 said:

No not necessarily. It depends on how your team is coached. Why would field position mean as much if you kicking field goals. We was a good offense not an aggressive one.  Gruden hasn't shown that he would be. Rams and skins defenses didn't vault their offenses. Only 4 teams was top 10 in both. Saints ravens colts and bucs. I feel like all 4 of those coaches are more aggressive than gruden. A better defense should lead to more wins, I don't think it means it leads to more scoring. 

I understand the point you are making and it does make some sense. However, I feel like a short field caused by a good defensive stop or a turnover will produce more points on average than if you're always staring from your own 20. Drives are less likely to stall if they have less distance to cover. It's swings and roundabouts in a way, in that yes, we could get more conservative but we also have far less grass to cover and even a short drive from good starting position will likely yeild points rather than a punt.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 10:06 AM, drfrey13 said:

This is the most important thing to me on offense.  I do not care how we score TDs.  Carlson needs more XPAs and less FGs.  I want or kicker to be irrelevant in fantasy football unless he is kicking 40-50 yard FGs.

Agree. Imagine if we had a bad fg kicker lol

33 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I thought you were an even bigger critic than me? That’s a super good stat line, like Top 7 QB. 

There's 17 games this season and we play 12 of them in a dome. 

Carr averaged 256 ypg last season, but that number is skewed because he only played 1 series in the second Chargers game. If you remove that he averaged 270 ypg. And one of those games was that god awful Browns game with 50 MPH wind where neither team could pass the ball, if you remove that it jumps to 281. 

If he averages 270 ypg over a 17 game season that's 4,600 yards.

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Carr averaged 256 ypg last season, but that number is skewed because he only played 1 series in the second Chargers game. If you remove that he averaged 270 ypg. And one of those games was that god awful Browns game with 50 MPH wind where neither team could pass the ball, if you remove that it jumps to 281. 

Yeah he had a super high YPA last season. I think career high. We just didn't throw that much.

7 out of last 10 games we play are in a dome, iirc. Very favorable for Carr as we all know he tails off in cold weather.

I don't really care what his completion % or QBR etc will look like. We know he will put up pretty stats. It all comes down to the redzone for me. Absolutely got to be better in that part of the field. 

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/raiders/gruden-says-raiders-getting-better-in-rj-interview-2434805/

R-J: Speaking of the quarterback, when you took over the Raiders everyone had Derek Carr on the first bus out of town. Yet four years later, here he is. Was that the plan all along or did he earn that along the way?

JG: I came out of retirement, or whatever you call it, to coach this guy. I think he’s pretty good. I think he’s going to continue to get even better. If we can play better defense, if we can get more possessions, if we can get a turnover every once in a while and good field position, that would be really helpful to any quarterback.

No offense to Tom Brady, but they’re the No. 1 defense in the league. That helps when you’re a quarterback. They don’t remember all your three and outs. So I think the better we get on defense, the better our football team gets, the better he’ll play.

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/raiders/gruden-says-raiders-getting-better-in-rj-interview-2434805/

R-J: Speaking of the quarterback, when you took over the Raiders everyone had Derek Carr on the first bus out of town. Yet four years later, here he is. Was that the plan all along or did he earn that along the way?

JG: I came out of retirement, or whatever you call it, to coach this guy. I think he’s pretty good. I think he’s going to continue to get even better. If we can play better defense, if we can get more possessions, if we can get a turnover every once in a while and good field position, that would be really helpful to any quarterback.

No offense to Tom Brady, but they’re the No. 1 defense in the league. That helps when you’re a quarterback. They don’t remember all your three and outs. So I think the better we get on defense, the better our football team gets, the better he’ll play.

No offense to Gruden but in 2019 before Brady got there the TB defense was worse than ours statistically and pretty close to what we did last year.  Brady had a profound effect on that team and it was the entire team.  Tom cutting down the Int by over 1 a game helped also.  I am not saying our defense last year was better but I think Gruden is just being Gruden.  He is just trying to make the QB he is stuck with feel better.  I do not think there is a GM in the league that would take Carr over Brady last year with both players signed through 2022.

15 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Absolutely despise domes. Football was meant to be played outdoors in the elements on a grass field.

On 9/6/2021 at 9:36 PM, SilverNBlackFan said:

7 out of last 10 games we play are in a dome, iirc. Very favorable for Carr as we all know he tails off in cold weather.

I don't really care what his completion % or QBR etc will look like. We know he will put up pretty stats. It all comes down to the redzone for me. Absolutely got to be better in that part of the field. 

IIRC 12/17 of our games will be played in domes this year which certainly plays in Carr's favor. I think our red zone offense should be better if Edwards can make a leap, Moreau is healthy, and. with the addition of Drake.